Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 17th November 2008
gib48189

First snow of the season in Michigan

Well, we got quite a surprise today, 4" of snow and just in time as i got home with a 14-54 for my 510. Well, just had to go out and take some pics, not sure this that good, but sure captures the moment-

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../firstsnow.jpg

Just a few weeks ago, I was looking at this, taken with a OM50-1.8

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...89/357-O-1.jpg

Quite the contrast. I tried to post the pics here, have not quite figured that out yet.
Old 17th November 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Re: First snow of the season in Michigan

Lovely pics and as you say, what a contrast between the two!

Down here in the South of England, we might see a couple of days of the white stuff but many days of rain/drizzle. Things have changed a lot, I remember doing my newspaper round on a sledge as a boy and later even taking my family down Butser hill on a inverted car roof rack with sheets of ply attached to fill the gaps.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 17th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,534 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 1,715 Times in 774 Posts

We had some snow a couple of weeks ago, but 24 hours later it was gone. See:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3445

I have similar memories to Peter. 35 years ago I can remember we used to have a week or two of snow (London suburbs) a year. Now it's a day or two per year. Back in 1986, I think, we had a a very cold snap for over a week. Even in central London it hardly got above freezing for around a week. Anyone remember that?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 17th November 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

I'm going show my age here.I can just remember the winter of 1962/63 when I would have been 4 years old.

Just a few site about it.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporat...er1962-63.html

http://wacv.co.uk/index.php?option=c...sarea&Itemid=6

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mtullett/...photo-page.htm

I remember the Thames being frozen.My dad took us walking across frozen lakes in the forest.
Dont think I'd risk it now.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 17th November 2008

Thanks Ian for the recent reminder and thanks also Andy for a captivating set of links. I was 16 at the time and had joined the Army Apprentices at Harrogate in April 1962.
Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 17th November 2008

Liked 1,635 Times in 1,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I remember the Thames being frozen.
Gosh, was that when they had fairs with roast ox on the frozen Thames?
;^)

Jim
Old 17th November 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Gosh, was that when they had fairs with roast ox on the frozen Thames?
;^)

Jim
Yes - and we had mammoths roaming the east anglian plains around Thetford.

Not to mention coal sacks full and frozen solid - so they had to be brought indoors to thaw before you could break the coal out. Sheets and shirts freezing on the clothes line (no washing machine then, just a copper and a mangle). Lorries with fires lit under the fuel tanks to thaw the diesel. Milk frozen on the doorstep so the lids were popped an inch or two clear of the glass.

Ice on the inside of bedroom windows. Enough wind chill to start ungloved hands bleeding around the nails.

A different world - unimagineable to kids today

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 17th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those are truly beautiful pictures gib48189 t-up

We're all getting nicely sidetracked with our memories!

I also remember washing freezing on the line, when it was brought indoors it could be stood up on the the kitchen floor! Icy bedroom windows too, they were very pretty but it was so horrible to have to get out of a cosy bed. At least we had a way of getting warm during power cuts, coal fires were, I suppose, something of a blessing.

Some time mid-eighties the River Dee in Chester almost froze over, all the boats were iced in for quite some time and there were great floes of ice hovering over the top of the weir. Even the tidal section froze. It was fabulous to see.
Old 17th November 2008
DannyH

Wow, you do have a quick winter in Michigan. The fall colors look great. Here in Oregon, we may get a little dusting on the ground through winter, but you have to go to the mountains to see snow like that.
Old 17th November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Wow, you do have a quick winter in Michigan. The fall colors look great. Here in Oregon, we may get a little dusting on the ground through winter, but you have to go to the mountains to see snow like that.
Danny, I was in California Nov/Dec 2002 and what really amazed me was that in the morning I was watching surfers and water skiers in the Pacific, then drove to the Nevada and watched people skiing on snow in the mountains. Incredible.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 18th November 2008
gib48189

Well, this was pretty unusual, very early snow for us. Normally, first snow that sticks is into December, but this one got us. I was driving home Saturday afternoon, really did not have any accumulation until I got about 3 miles south of my house, then it just really started to pile up. I am in the southern part of the state, around Lake Superior and the snow belt on the Lake Michigan shoreline, they are really getting hit hard.
Old 18th November 2008

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Its been some years since we had a serious fall of snow here in Matlock, Derbyshire. The last I recall was late in the 1980's. I drove a loading shovel for a living back then and it was one of the few bits of machinery at the works that managed to keep going for a few days. I recall it being bitterly cold, and huge icicles hung from many gutters.

Since then, we have had a few coverings of snow that caused minimal disruption and allowed the latest generation of kids to be introduced to sledging.

In total contrast, the 1970's were great for snow. We seemed to have heaps of it most years. I worked as a landscape gardener during the late 70's and got laid off most years for a couple of months at a time because of the snow.

I must admit, I really miss heavy snowfalls. I love the isolation it brings, along with superb photo opportunities. Fingers crossed for this winter :-)

Cheers, Steve.
Old 18th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,534 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 1,715 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lane View Post
Its been some years since we had a serious fall of snow here in Matlock, Derbyshire. The last I recall was late in the 1980's. I drove a loading shovel for a living back then and it was one of the few bits of machinery at the works that managed to keep going for a few days. I recall it being bitterly cold, and huge icicles hung from many gutters.

Since then, we have had a few coverings of snow that caused minimal disruption and allowed the latest generation of kids to be introduced to sledging.

In total contrast, the 1970's were great for snow. We seemed to have heaps of it most years. I worked as a landscape gardener during the late 70's and got laid off most years for a couple of months at a time because of the snow.

I must admit, I really miss heavy snowfalls. I love the isolation it brings, along with superb photo opportunities. Fingers crossed for this winter :-)

Cheers, Steve.
About 5 years ago, when Olympus launched the original Digital Mju, I was supposed to fly from Stansted to Austria for the launch event.

That night if you recall there was so much snow that Stansted Airport had to be closed because snowbound cars could no longer move on the M11. I tried to get to the airport the next morning and at one point had to wait for a snow drift to be cleared in a country lane by a plough - it was a good 5 feet deep.

Amazingly, I did get to Austria late in the day, flying from Heathrow.

The next day, Feb 1st 2003, the Columbia shuttle disaster happened - I remember watching the news in my hotel room in Austria

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 18th November 2008
gib48189

It's a bit entertaining to me that a picture of a snow storm has stirred up so many memories for folks. Being used to snow, it did not have that effect for me. I guess that's the power of a picture, like hearing a song you remember from long ago. I can still remember where I was when I first heard the Stone's "Satisfaction". That too, was a "while" ago!
Old 18th November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib48189 View Post
It's a bit entertaining to me that a picture of a snow storm has stirred up so many memories for folks. Being used to snow, it did not have that effect for me. I guess that's the power of a picture, like hearing a song you remember from long ago. I can still remember where I was when I first heard the Stone's "Satisfaction". That too, was a "while" ago!
Thats nostalgia for you. All it needs is a trigger. As I said before, I like both your pictures. and thanks for posting them. They had that certain magic about them.
Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/