Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 6th August 2014

Liked 125 Times in 41 Posts
Olympus vs JJC lens hoods.

Hi Guys,

I have just recently bought a JJC LH-J48 Lens hood the rectangular type for my m4/3 ZD 12mm f2 it is a replacement for the Olympus LH-48.

The quality seems great and it is nearly 30 cheaper than the Olympus hood, I must say when I removed it from the box I was Very impressed with all aspects of the hood.

My question is what do other Olympus users prefer to use? original Olympus or an aftermarket brand, also what is the general opinion of JJC hoods relative to quality of manufacture and finish?

Thomas.
Old 6th August 2014

Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Re: Olympus vs JJC lens hoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Westhead View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just recently bought a JJC LH-J48 Lens hood the rectangular type for my m4/3 ZD 12mm f2 it is a replacement for the Olympus LH-48.

The quality seems great and it is nearly 30 cheaper than the Olympus hood, I must say when I removed it from the box I was Very impressed with all aspects of the hood.

My question is what do other Olympus users prefer to use? original Olympus or an aftermarket brand, also what is the general opinion of JJC hoods relative to quality of manufacture and finish?
I had a JJC hood for my Oly 75mm f1.8. It seemed okay but the silver finish marked quite easily. I now have a black 75mm with the Oly hood and I have to say it is much better in terms of fit and finish.
Old 6th August 2014

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts

Just bought a JJC hood for my mZuiko 45 - it seems well made and as it protects the lens well when reversed I'm happy, even if it does end up getting a bit marked over time. I might think differently if I was mounting a hood on to a really expensive premium lens though. But then they ought to be supplied as standard.....
Old 7th August 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I suppose it depends a lot also on how the lens itself reacts to direct light. If it is very sensitive to it, you may notice a difference but I highly doubt it. Maybe they took a mould of the original insides of the hood and replicated it. That would be good, as they are engineered to be precise.
Old 7th August 2014

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

Beware! If you don't use authentic Olympus lens hoods you risk damaging your lens! I'd much rather pay three times the price for an identical piece of plastic with the word Olympus on it.
I know it's cool an fashionable to be seen with JJC products. (He's a rapper, I think) But is it worth it to have all your pictures ruined if light manages to seep through inferior black plastic?
The Following User Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (7th August 2014)
Old 7th August 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I've found JJC and uWinka (same maker) metal hoods to be of excellent quality. The plastic ones, less so. Their fit, probably down to poor finishing, sometimes leaves something to be desired.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 7th August 2014

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts

I've always been of the view that the JJC metal hoods are excellent and very close to Oly's own. The plastic hoods though don't fit as well, although they are perfectly functional.

However, I recently bought a JJC metal hood for my 17/1.8 and I'm a bit disappointed by the clamp mechanism. It's somewhat stiff and needs tightening quite a lot to get the hood to stay put. Even then, it tends to loosen with use and then the hood rotates somewhat causing scratching/polishing on the lens barrel.

So, I think it's probably a better bet to go with the Oly hoods if you can afford it...
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 7th August 2014

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

I have a mix of both on my lenses. Nothing bad to say about the JCC ones but the Olympus ones are stupidly pricey. Given that some manufacturers give you one with every lens I feel this is a very poor marketing strategy by Olympus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
Old 7th August 2014

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I've always been of the view that the JJC metal hoods are excellent and very close to Oly's own. The plastic hoods though don't fit as well, although they are perfectly functional.

However, I recently bought a JJC metal hood for my 17/1.8 and I'm a bit disappointed by the clamp mechanism. It's somewhat stiff and needs tightening quite a lot to get the hood to stay put. Even then, it tends to loosen with use and then the hood rotates somewhat causing scratching/polishing on the lens barrel.

So, I think it's probably a better bet to go with the Oly hoods if you can afford it...
I also have the JJC metal hood for my 17/1.8, I also brought the Oly metal hood for my 75mm.

Now where as the JJC hood uses a screw that presses directly on the lens body to hold it in place, the Olympus one for the 75mm has a metal band inside the hood that tightens around the lens when the screw is tightened and I cannot help wondering if this is the difference that with the JJC one the screw end presses directly onto the lens body, but as I do not own one of each I cannot say for sure.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 7th August 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
I also have the JJC metal hood for my 17/1.8, I also brought the Oly metal hood for my 75mm.

Now where as the JJC hood uses a screw that presses directly on the lens body to hold it in place, the Olympus one for the 75mm has a metal band inside the hood that tightens around the lens when the screw is tightened and I cannot help wondering if this is the difference that with the JJC one the screw end presses directly onto the lens body, but as I do not own one of each I cannot say for sure.
That's interesting. My JJC metal hood for the 17mm f1.8 does have that expanding metal band, exactly as my genuine Olympus hood for my 75mm.

My Flickr site
Old 7th August 2014

Thanked 1,120 Times in 702 Posts
Liked 1,463 Times in 731 Posts

I'm now on µ 4/3 gear and I use rubber lens hoods. I first had these on my sub-miniature Pentax 110 SLR - standard issue - with the interchangeable lens and found them ideal as they can be folded in increments. Not perhaps everone's cup of tea but, although cheap and cheerful they do the job.They fold back when not in use which makes them very compact when travelling light and if you drop them... they bounce back unamaged.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 7th August 2014

Liked 125 Times in 41 Posts

Hi Stephen,

The JJC hood that is fitted on my 12mm f2 also has the internal metal band and the outer screw behind that, very similar to the Olympus though I have only seen that hood on images on the net.

So when the screw is tightened up internal metal band contracts taking up the slack.

Thomas.
Old 7th August 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Just had a look at the "uWinka" metal rectangular hood I use on my 45mm, and it too has the metal band. I've yet to see a hood with a screw which goes straight onto the lens body - I would be very wary about using one of those. It sounds too easy to cause damage by over-tightening.

My Flickr site
Old 7th August 2014

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

My bad Stephen, so does mine just never noticed it before.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 7th August 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Phew, I thought maybe you had a counterfeit JJC!

My Flickr site