Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 6th March 2014

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Re: EM-1 Lock-up Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Indeed! And they have evaluated the problem, found the cause, come up with a solution and are offering free servicing and shipping to all affected users including those out of warranty. Thats what you call Excellent Service !
John
It only took a year and 1/4 and pending class action lawsuits to get the response that they now offer.!
Olympus is replacing defective cameras right now !
If anyone has a problem ...send it in , or quit bellyaching about it !

David
The Following Users Liked This Post:
brian1208 (6th March 2014), Greytop (6th March 2014), StephenL (6th March 2014)
Old 6th March 2014

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Thankfully, I don't own an OMD and as a result of this ongoing problem, probably never will.
I find it interesting that you have much to say on this subject in light of your statement above, is it possible you enjoy a good campaign even though not personally affected by this problem?
Old 6th March 2014

Liked 536 Times in 374 Posts

Two more lock-ups yesterday - occurred after switching on the camera.
I will be watching to see if any of my three proper Oly batteries gives rise to more lock-ups.
Old 6th March 2014

Quote:
Hopefully, your post above doesn't imply this should not be the case in this forum, as that would indeed initiate a lively campaign.
As if I would suggest something like that (particularly as relatively newcomer to the site and to Olympus products), all debate with positive intent is a good thing to my mind, I was just interested in your angle as a non-user of the EM-1
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
Old 6th March 2014

Liked 331 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh202 View Post

David
Well that's not my experience Oly have refused to replace my EM1 and I have had more than 10 lockups.

If you feel I am bellyaching about this problem on this forum its because I have reported the problem to Olympus and they are not offering any solution other than to say they are looking into it.

I have been aware of the Nikon D600 problem as that was a camera I considered buying into. Their response has been slow, I do hope that do not have to wait that long for a statement from Olympus.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following User Says Thank You to birdboy For This Useful Post:
Old 6th March 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh202 View Post
It only took a year and 1/4 and pending class action lawsuits to get the response that they now offer.!

David
That may well be the position in the States. Not as far as I'm aware in Europe.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Old 6th March 2014

Quote:
I do hope that do not have to wait that long for a statement from Olympus.
I asked Chris Dale if it were possible to get a a statement on this problem from Olympus and he tells me

"I have put forward your request to our technical manager and he has forwarded it on to head office for consideration"

I guess it would do no harm if a few more of us asked the same question (otherwise how are they to know we need an answer?)
Old 6th March 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
I asked Chris Dale if it were possible to get a a statement on this problem from Olympus and he tells me

"I have put forward your request to our technical manager and he has forwarded it on to head office for consideration"

I guess it would do no harm if a few more of us asked the same question (otherwise how are they to know we need an answer?)
I have asked Chris Dale the same question too so I totally agree with this.

I wonder how many of those on this forum who have experienced lockups have reported it to Oly that could explain the difference between Oly's figure and that on this forum if they have not?

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 6th March 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
I have asked Chris Dale the same question too so I totally agree with this.

I wonder how many of those on this forum who have experienced lockups have reported it to Oly that could explain the difference between Oly's figure and that on this forum if they have not?
I do know that some on this forum are/were reluctant to communicate with Olympus for their own personal reasons.

But how else are Olympus able to gauge the extent of the problem?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Wee man (6th March 2014)
Old 6th March 2014

When my first EM-1 failed because of repeated lock-ups + IS failure Olympus replaced it within a week, (with a new body) without debate or problem
Old 6th March 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Birdboy, I assume by the above you have been communicating directly with Olympus. I wonder what the result would be if you simply returned the camera to the store where you purchased it and asked for a repair or replacement under the terms of the Sale Of Goods Act. It would mean being without the camera and supposedly the retailer would be obliged to return it to Olympus for repair.

Just a thought, because as the camera is under warranty and definitely faulty, you should be covered by the Sale Of Goods Act which as I understand it, is the responsibility of the retailer not the manufacturer.

Maybe other members are more conversant with this Act than I am or possibly a word with Citizens Advice may be worth while.

Regards,

John
This is something I have been thinking about. I am concerned however that if I took it back to where I brought it from I would not see the camera for some considerable time. I have resisted this because I have had wanted to use the camera for my last holiday and am awaiting for a suitable gap in the need for me to use the camera.

The main reason though why I have not followed this course of action is that I have registered for the Service plus: designated hotline (which I have used), fast lane repair they say 3 days, personal pickup service.

Olympus know there is a fault they do not know how to fix it, they say its not a faulty batch so are reluctant to exchange it. I have no desire to go marching into the shop where I brought it quoting Sales of goods act at this stage.

I am trying to be understanding and patient and although it seems unfair that some in the states are getting exchanges I wonder how many continue to experience lockups with their exchanged camera. On the other hand unless Oly have those cameras that are experiencing lockups how can they say it is not a manufacturing/batch problem unless they have experienced the lockups for themselves so know its a design problem?

For me I would prefer to have a camera that had been fixed of the lockup or my money back.

Old 6th March 2014

Quote:
The main reason though why I have not followed this course of action is that I have registered for the Service plus: designated hotline (which I have used), fast lane repair they say 3 days, personal pickup service
Me too, it does seem unfortunate the way you are being treated particularly in light of

Quote:
Olympus know there is a fault they do not know how to fix it, they say its not a faulty batch so are reluctant to exchange
which would seem a clear reason to provide you with a new one (rather than attempt a repair) as that may well be OK (unless they now believe it is a fault common to ALL EM-1?)
Old 6th March 2014

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
When my first EM-1 failed because of repeated lock-ups + IS failure Olympus replaced it within a week, (with a new body) without debate or problem
That is because they were taking in cameras to disect and see if they could identify the cause of these "malfunctions"

And your camera may have been tested as faulty, where on others, they could not duplicate a "malfunction" so the camera was returned !
Old 6th March 2014

could be?

We still need to hear from Olympus
Old 17th March 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My E-M1 locked up for the second time yesterday shooting in C-AF in burst L mode which interestingly were the same settings which caused the lockup a few months ago ! I was shooting birds here coming to a feeding station and the focus was locking in and out probably due to lack of contrast but otherwise was taking sharp images when it suddenly froze and I had to reinsert the battery. The battery was probably at around half charge and I use a fast memory card shooting in raw. If it happens again I'll contact Olympus support I guess but I'm hoping it's a software/firmware fix but when ?!
The Following User Says Thank You to shigger For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (17th March 2014)