Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 29th August 2008
tlove

Another one for the macro fans

I just thought I would share these shots with you - taken today and yesterday in my humble back garden.

Like most of you, I seem to have my 1.4x teleconverter permanently glued to my E-3 which I use with either my 50mm macro, 50-200mm or (sometimes) 14-54 lens.

Since getting my 'kit', I haven't really used my EX25 extension tube or ring flash kit (I know, shame on me - but there really aren't enough hours in the day ). So, as I've had a few days off work, I thought I'd get out there and have a go with my 50mm macro, extension tube and macro flash. I'm pleasantly pleased with the results, so hope you like them too:

Garden spider:

Hoverfly:

Red Admiral butterfly:

One for the not too squeamish - crab spider and a Green Bottle fly:

I've had great fun doing these - the flash intensity is controllable (please tell me if there's not enough on the images ), and big bonus, it's not a bird of prey !

Thanks for looking .
Old 29th August 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Re: Another one for the macro fans

Thea,

With shots like this you really are going to have to change the "punch line"

I've been thinking about the 50mm for a while (mainly for portrates) but these show just how good it is for what it's made to do.

Very well done and thanks for showing them.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 29th August 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Thea

You lucky person having a ring flash or is it the twin macro flash.Is it the Oly version?

Was not quite sure you could use it with the 50mm,do you need an adaptor?

If it is I'm very envious.

After the 7-14 it might be my next purchase.

But may be a long time after that.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 29th August 2008
Mark Roberts

I'm new to this group today. I live in New Zealand. This is my first post.

The photo attached was taken with an E3, 35mm, twin flash. I'm very new to this type of photography, so was attracted to this thread.

I reduced the quality of the photo to fit the file size requirement. Hope it looks okay after I post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1011159-1.jpg (70.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 30th August 2008
tlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Thea

You lucky person having a ring flash or is it the twin macro flash.Is it the Oly version?

Was not quite sure you could use it with the 50mm,do you need an adaptor?

If it is I'm very envious.

After the 7-14 it might be my next purchase.

But may be a long time after that.
Thanks Andy - a couple of years ago, I was in the position of having a bit of cash to invest in my gear, and so I bought the ring flash kit. It is the Olympus version.

If you buy the complete Olympus ring flash kit, you get the ring flash itself, the controller (which you can also use for the twin flash) and an adapter for using with the 50mm macro lens (with the 50-200mm lens, the ring flash clips onto the front, the same way the lens hood would, however the 50mm macro is a much smaller diameter lens, and so they kindly provide the adapter in the kit). Also if you buy the kit it comes with its' own carrying case.

What I do like is that you can control the flash intensity, so you can have a play at getting the lighting right - unless your subject gets fed up with you poking a darned great flash gun at them and moves off !
Old 30th August 2008
tlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Roberts View Post
I'm new to this group today. I live in New Zealand. This is my first post.

The photo attached was taken with an E3, 35mm, twin flash. I'm very new to this type of photography, so was attracted to this thread.

I reduced the quality of the photo to fit the file size requirement. Hope it looks okay after I post.
That's a good one Mark - I was torn between a ring flash and twin flash kit when I got mine. I chose the ring flash as I chose to go with what I know, but I do like the better overall lighting from the twin flash!

Well done, and welcome to the site .
Old 30th August 2008
Mark Roberts

Thank you, Thea. I had some difficulty deciding which one to buy, twin flash or ring flash. I wasn't even sure what the unit could do and not do, which was a bit troubling considering its price. Good advice can be hard to find on matters like this, and the manual is hardly a mine of information. I'm having to teach myself, but this forum should help.

The bee was a bit of a challenge because he kept moving. I took a few duds as he flew about. I guessed afterwards the flash would only operate at 1/250 or below, but I decided to check. The manual didn't give this info, so I put the unit on the camera once more. It restricted the shutter speed to 1/250. Like I say, I have to use the thing to know what's what.

My method is to use the camera and the flash unit in manual mode and adjust aperture or intensity according to the histogram/blinkies. I'm finding that reasonably efficient - my first guesses are getting better.