Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-620/600

Olympus E-620/600 An Olympus 12.1MP mid-range compact DSLR, the E-620 and the feature-reduiced version, the E-600.

Old 11th January 2011

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts
Shutter click and sync speed

Here's an observation: I've been pursuing my goal of getting the best out of the 70-300 recently, and that involved using off camera flash.

I discovered by trial and error that my E620 and E600 will both flash the entire frame at 1/320. Its only when you go to 1/400th that you start to get a black band.

I thought the quoted sync speed was 1/160th - but the truth seems to be one whole stop faster. Good news?

While testing the two cameras I also noticed that the E620 sounds a little bit snappier than the E600, as if the mirror/shutter sequence is faster. I suspect that the continuous shooting speed is slightly faster as well.

Any thoughts and comments. I had taken these to be essentially the same camera but with bits and pices left off the E600.... (I wouldn't be surprised to find you could hack a 600 to be a 620 if you knew how )

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 11th January 2011

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Re: Shutter click and sync speed

Thats good to know. I've been experimenting with off camera flash and took the speed to 1/250 with no problems. I will try to go faster. Thanks for the tip we live and learn.

Regards

Steve
Old 12th January 2011
Radar

I usually sync 1/250 off camera and it's fine. 1/320 always give me a band in the bottom. The TTL-flashes (FL-36/50) syncs at max 1/160 on camera for some reason, but get it off camera and you'll be able to use 1/250.

When it comes to the "snappy" shutter it depends on the IS. When the IS is on I feel the shutter is dragging it self through the exposure while it's snappier when the IS is off. The main reason why I don't use IS on burst-shooting.
Old 12th January 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,473 Times in 2,124 Posts

I suppose the manufacturer quotes a slightly lower than actual sync speed to allow a margin of error. It's quite possible that tolerances vary from one camera to another. Better to gat a pleasant surprise and find your camera syncs faster than expected, rather than be disappointed it fails to achieve the quoted capability.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau