Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 26th November 2010
Old Junior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Advanced Photographer E5 Review

If anyone has been unable to obtain Advanced Photographer to read E5 Review I have a pdf backup of the article, mail roy@telec.co.uk if interested in seeing it.

Cheers Roy
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roy Clarke For This Useful Post:
ChrisW (26th November 2010), Greytop (27th November 2010), stevednp3 (26th November 2010), Wreckdiver (3rd December 2010)
Old 27th November 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts
Re: Advanced Photographer E5 Review

Thanks for taking the time to email me Roy, that was a very intresting read

It seams that all reviewers are saming the same, that the e5 is a very good camera (scored 85/100 here) but its not much of an upgrade for e-3 or e-30 users and the price is not going to attract newcomers at all when you can buy a 7D for £400 less.

As there are now a few e5 owners here, did any of you upgrade from a e-30 or e-3 and think it was worth the money as an upgrade, as I want to upgrade from my e-30 in Jan

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 27th November 2010

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to email me Roy, that was a very intresting read

It seams that all reviewers are saming the same, that the e5 is a very good camera (scored 85/100 here) but its not much of an upgrade for e-3 or e-30 users and the price is not going to attract newcomers at all when you can buy a 7D for £400 less.

As there are now a few e5 owners here, did any of you upgrade from a e-30 or e-3 and think it was worth the money as an upgrade, as I want to upgrade from my e-30 in Jan
Steve
I own the E500, E3 and now the E5. I still use all three cameras. Despite all the talk before the the availability of this camera to the general public of it merely being a consolidation and not a ground breaking new release, I have to say, try one and you will see that this talk was completely wrong.
I love my E3 but compared to it, this camera knocks spots off it. I have always envied some of the other badges for their versitility in shooting in light conditions I could never attempt with the E3. The E5 IQ is really good. It's not the number of pixels that count but the way they are used. Add to this the noise handling and just from these two points it is a major step up from the E3.
The menu system is now much more user friendly and the monitor resolution change has made Live View much more practical.
The movie mode works really well except for the fact that re-focussing does not take place when you zoom. This I would expect to be addressed with a future firmware change. As Ian has said to me, this is implemented in the pen so Olympus have the knowledge and I do not see this as a big issue.
Yes it is big and heavy but not exceptionally so when compared to the E3 which I have lugged around for 3 years.
As for breaking through into the Canikon market, this would be difficult in any case. People invest a lot of money in lens' and this would put off any potential convert and this, in a large part, drives brand loyalty (Olympus owners included!). Perhaps new entrants to the DSLR market will be attracted by the many recent reviews of the E5.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterD For This Useful Post:
stevednp3 (28th November 2010), yorky (28th November 2010)
Old 28th November 2010

Liked 537 Times in 375 Posts

Peter - This is not what I want to hear or read. <g> The improved high ISO performance really tempts me and the movie feature for capturing the 5 second atmospheric action shots.

Only a few things stopping me from leaping in with the credit card, Apple support for the Raw format, being able to walk again and the price drop after the initial feeding frenzy.

Thanks for your comments

Last edited by DerekW; 28th November 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 28th November 2010

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

An excellent and balanced review, especially as Will Cheung is a big user/fan of Nikon equipment.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 28th November 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Thanks Peter for taking the time to reply, that is exactly what I did want to hear, im planning to upgrade from my e-30 in january and I was concerned that I wouldn't see much of an upgrade.

I dont mind if it hasnt got many new features or higher megapixels (if it anit broke dont fix it) but as long as the IQ is worth the money then thats fine by me.

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 28th November 2010

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
Thanks Peter for taking the time to reply, that is exactly what I did want to hear, im planning to upgrade from my e-30 in january and I was concerned that I wouldn't see much of an upgrade.

I dont mind if it hasnt got many new features or higher megapixels (if it anit broke dont fix it) but as long as the IQ is worth the money then thats fine by me.

Steve, I too would echo Peter's comments, my experience so far with the E-5 suggests it does deliver what Olympus claimed at the launch, namely excellent image quality coupled with quite exceptional detail and sharpness from the excellent Zuiko lenses.
I certainly like my E-30 and shall be keeping it as a backup but given my experience with the E-5 thus far I can say that sadly I can't see me using it with any regularity.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
stevednp3 (28th November 2010)
Old 3rd December 2010

Liked 948 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Steve
I own the E500, E3 and now the E5. I still use all three cameras. Despite all the talk before the the availability of this camera to the general public of it merely being a consolidation and not a ground breaking new release, I have to say, try one and you will see that this talk was completely wrong.
I love my E3 but compared to it, this camera knocks spots off it. I have always envied some of the other badges for their versitility in shooting in light conditions I could never attempt with the E3. The E5 IQ is really good. It's not the number of pixels that count but the way they are used. Add to this the noise handling and just from these two points it is a major step up from the E3.
The menu system is now much more user friendly and the monitor resolution change has made Live View much more practical.
The movie mode works really well except for the fact that re-focussing does not take place when you zoom. This I would expect to be addressed with a future firmware change. As Ian has said to me, this is implemented in the pen so Olympus have the knowledge and I do not see this as a big issue.
Yes it is big and heavy but not exceptionally so when compared to the E3 which I have lugged around for 3 years.
As for breaking through into the Canikon market, this would be difficult in any case. People invest a lot of money in lens' and this would put off any potential convert and this, in a large part, drives brand loyalty (Olympus owners included!). Perhaps new entrants to the DSLR market will be attracted by the many recent reviews of the E5.
Thanks for this Peter.
I have been looking at the Pano GH2 or the E30 but am seriously considering an E5 after reading your post.
Old 3rd December 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I am with Steve here... the IQ from the E5 that I have seen in images posted here and elsewhere is astonishing.

I can't wait to upgrade mine next year.

Old 3rd December 2010

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Might be interesting to rerun the poll "Will you buy an E5".At that time I answered wait for the reviews.
When I saw some early results and then SRS had them in stock at £1449.00 I just couldn't help myself.Didn't mean to get one until next year but what the hell.

I all Huw(Greytops) fault if he hadn't posted SRS now in stock I might not have been tempted,but glad I was

If my wife find your address your for it.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 3rd December 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I read the article and was well impressed, if not envious. I respect Will's capabilities as a photographer. As he said, it's just the price (especially after the tax man has just stung me hard).

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 3rd December 2010

Liked 126 Times in 68 Posts

Thanks for the review Roy, much appreciated

Steve