Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 25th June 2019

Liked 1,563 Times in 768 Posts
Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
The answer is simple. You are supposed to run the Olympus Workspace program. It updates all the software including itself and the updater, and it runs the camera updater too.

Why do people want to mess around with it all themselves when Olympus gives them something far simpler?
H'mm think you are being a bit generous to Oly.

Please show me where Olympus tell people to do what you say and not use the updater app but move to the Workspace app.

Their communication about updates is I feel pretty pathetic.
They know who their users are seeing as how the majority have registered their gear. What so difficult about sending them an email explaining how to update. It's a film mentality response in the digital world.

I and I guess most other users are not clairvoyant. Luckily my update worked but if I suffered what others claim then I would say goodbye to Oly.

If the posts on the DP Forum are true in that even when Oly know there is a serious issue with Mac Mojave users they do nothing! There are no excuses for knowingly bad service.

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
snerkler (25th June 2019)
Old 25th June 2019

Liked 386 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
The answer is simple. You are supposed to run the Olympus Workspace program. It updates all the software including itself and the updater, and it runs the camera updater too.

Why do people want to mess around with it all themselves when Olympus gives them something far simpler?
Ok I get that, but letís say thereís someone like me that has used the Olympus updater for the past 4 or 5 years are we meant to be psychic and know that Olympus has brought out new software to replace it?

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com
wornish (26th June 2019)
Old 25th June 2019

Liked 386 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post

Please show me where Olympus tell people to do what you say and not use the updater app but move to the Workspace app.

Their communication about updates is I feel pretty pathetic.
They know who their users are seeing as how the majority have registered their gear. What so difficult about sending them an email explaining how to update. It's a film mentality response in the digital world.

I and I guess most other users are not clairvoyant. Luckily my update worked but if I suffered what others claim then I would say goodbye to Oly.

If the posts on the DP Forum are true in that even when Oly know there is a serious issue with Mac Mojave users they do nothing! There are no excuses for knowingly bad service.
Haha, beat me to it

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com
Old 25th June 2019

Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I read that thread and there was no evidence I could see that there was an issue with Mojave. The people with problems were not using Workspace (so not using the up to date updater), people with Mojave and using Workspace were OK.

Olympus should make sure all their websites have the latest software at the same time. And having a standalone updater that can't update itself isn't sensible.

On PCs they now install the 64 bit software where the 32 bit software should be installed, but it still works.

So while I try to be generous to Olympus, I also see their issues.
Old 26th June 2019

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:

There are many long-time Olympus camera users who find that Workspace (and it's predecessor Olympus Viewer) perform very poorly and so use alternative s/w for image PP. Therefore, since Olympus also provide software for the specific function of applying camera f/w updates, we choose not to clutter up our computers with software which won't be used.
Further, as far as I am aware, nowhere does Olympus inform it's customers that the use of Workspace is essential for installing firmware.
snerkler (26th June 2019), wornish (26th June 2019)
Old 26th June 2019

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
There are many long-time Olympus camera users who find that Workspace (and it's predecessor Olympus Viewer) perform very poorly and so use alternative s/w for image PP. Therefore, since Olympus also provide software for the specific function of applying camera f/w updates, we choose not to clutter up our computers with software which won't be used.
Further, as far as I am aware, nowhere does Olympus inform it's customers that the use of Workspace is essential for installing firmware.
That's right as quoted from here. https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/sup...tware/firm/e1/
Quote:
We recommend updating your camera using the OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater.
* How to update your camera using OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater
https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/sup...date_setbk.cfm

However, if you have Olympus Workspace installed, then...(from the Help PDF)
Quote:
Note
*When you update the software, other Olympus software products that appear in the
search results will also be updated.
*You can check the current version of the software in [About] in the [Help] menu for
Windows, and in [About Olympus Workspace] in the [Olympus Workspace] menu for
Mac OS.
So from that I conclude that Olympus Updater should be downloaded & installed & if Olympus Workspace is installed then when updating it, it will find the Oly Updater & update it as well & from that I believe the choice is yours whether you run Olympus Updater directly or through Olympus Workspace.

Personally, I like to have & use Olympus Workspace but I can understand that others are less keen to have it, but if it's free software from Olympus, then I want it.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 26th June 2019

Liked 722 Times in 491 Posts

Updated both my bodies using the updater app from within the old Viewer, admittedly this was on a MBP running MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra). No obvious problems encountered.
Saying that, I don’t think I’ve actually pressed the shutter since!
Can’t see me even trying Workspace until I’ve replaced the laptop with a new one. Mine won’t take any new O/S updates given its 9 years old, be sad to see the old girl retired plus the wallet will take one hell of a hit too.
Ross the fiddler (26th June 2019)
Old 26th June 2019

Quote:
I never suggested using Workspace for post processing. Use it for what it is good at - updating. It takes up only 120 MB of disk space which is insignificant.
I was simply pointing out that people have the easy option - install software that updates itself and cameras reliably - i.e. Workspace. Or use software where before you use it you have to go hunting round to try to find if you need an update or not. And if you get it wrong and use an old version you may have problems with your update, perhaps losing the settings, or perhaps even bricking your camera. This is illustrated by the "Mojave problem".
Old 26th June 2019

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
That's right as quoted from here. https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/sup...tware/firm/e1/

https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/sup...date_setbk.cfm

However, if you have Olympus Workspace installed, then...(from the Help PDF)

So from that I conclude that Olympus Updater should be downloaded & installed & if Olympus Workspace is installed then when updating it, it will find the Oly Updater & update it as well & from that I believe the choice is yours whether you run Olympus Updater directly or through Olympus Workspace.

Personally, I like to have & use Olympus Workspace but I can understand that others are less keen to have it, but if it's free software from Olympus, then I want it.
Hi Ross,
Not your fault at all but this seems like a kind of Catch-22 situation
If someone only uses Oly Camera Updater why would it occur to them to use some other (seemingly unconnected) program as it's source of updates?...
...and how likely is it that they would read the Help PDF for a program they hadn't installed in order to discover this dependency?

I would have thought it more intelligent if Olympus - when they made the major rework to create version2 of Camera Updater - had included a automatic self-check for it's program updates together with the UI to install those updates directly.
Having a free-standing program which relies on some other program to check for updates seems a bit bizarre in this day & age (unless of course you are Adobe )!

Last edited by Gwyver; 26th June 2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: corrected a few pronouns etc.
Old 26th June 2019

Quote:
Hi Ross,
Not your fault at all but this seems like a kind of Catch-22 situation
If someone only uses Oly Camera Updater why would it occur to them to use some other (seemingly unconnected) program as it's source of updates?...
...and how likely is it that they would read the Help PDF for a program they hadn't installed in order to discover this dependency?

I would have thought it more intelligent if Olympus - when they made the major rework to create version2 of Camera Updater - had included a automatic self-check for it's program updates together with the UI to install those updates directly.
Having a free-standing program which relies on some other program to check for updates seems a bit bizarre in this day & age (unless of course you are Adobe )!
That's why I think it's fine to just use the Updater, but as with their Oly Workspace, it had several bugs in it to start with & sometimes their web postings aren't always mistake free either (I notified Oly Australia for one & they corrected it), so if there is an issue with a certain OS then hopefully Olympus are notified & can then hopefully rectify any anomalies with their updater (bring out another updated version). As with any issue, sometimes people complain to each other (or come up with their own idea of a solution) but not to Olympus directly. They do need the feedback to get it right if there are issues.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 26th June 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
It takes up only 120 MB of disk space which is insignificant.
Crikey - 120MB for a program that downloads a file from a server and then sends it to the camera over USB. That's bloatware of the highest order. IMHO it's crazy to have to use an image editing program to update the camera's firmware. The updater app is much smaller and does exactly what it says on the tin. I also have a hunch that Workplace is using the updater app under the covers anyhow.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 26th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Crikey - 120MB for a program that downloads a file from a server and then sends it to the camera over USB. That's bloatware of the highest order. IMHO it's crazy to have to use an image editing program to update the camera's firmware. The updater app is much smaller and does exactly what it says on the tin. I also have a hunch that Workplace is using the updater app under the covers anyhow.
From what the Olympus notes seems to say, it only updates associated Olympus programs if they are already installed, so I'm not sure if it installs a Camera Updater if there isn't one there already or not now (I already had it there when installing Oly Workspace).
Old 27th June 2019

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Ι use OLYMPUS programs for 15 years and update bodies and lenses. I tried for 2 days to install the new firmware on Win 10 , I couldn’t, no matter which Updater I use -old or new through the updated O.W. The problem was the communication with the camera when the firmware is download from the server and the PC tries to install it on camera. All other communications work fine, with Olympus Capture or to save settings from or to the camera with old Updater or with O.W.
I gave up and install just O.W. with all the updates on home pc (win10) without old Updater or Olympus Studio. Nope, no luck. I really thought my camera has a problem. One last try I install the old Updater 2.1.3. And suddenly Olympus workspace worked fine with the new Updater (ver.2.2) , communicate with camera and finish the update. I suspect that the old Updater has some extra USB drivers for cameras.
Old 27th June 2019

Liked 3,672 Times in 1,699 Posts

Gosh, its all a bit hit and miss? I was "lucky" and I updated straightaway with the 2.13 version of the update programme. I had no idea that Olympus Workspace was able to be used as well.

Edit: I have just tried to update the "Updater" programme. As above I use the 2.13 version. The Olympus site says that I have the latest version, so no need to update!!

Having run the "Workspace" programme and tapped the update camera button, it loads a version 2.2. Thus the Workspace does have its own version of the "Updater"...…??

Edit 2: The workspace version seems to be the same as the 2.13 version???????????/

My Flickr
Old 27th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
If you tried it you would see that it installs and runs exactly the same program, but updates it to the latest version, 2.2. You run it from the menu.
You might find having the Workspace program available useful at some point.