Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 7th August 2014

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Olympus vs JJC lens hoods.

Yes, my JJC hood for the 17/1.8 has a band too. However, compared to the Oly hood I have on my 12mm, there is a notable difference - the fit tolerance of the hood to the lens is better on the Oly hood. This leads to some consequences:

- The band needs to make up the gap between the hood and the lens. The JJC hood rattles a bit more until the screw is tightened.

- This means there's less movement of the band needed on the Oly hood as the screw is tightened. In turn, this means that the contact area of the band to the lens is greater with the Oly hood.

- Greater contact area means less pressure is needed on the screw and hence less chance of the band damaging/scratching the lens barrel.

- Greater area means less opportunity for the hood to pivot/rock laterally. This in turn means the hood is less likely to move and come undone with use (as well as reduce the wear on the barrel).

So, all-in-all, although the JJC hood is OK, it's not as good as the Oly (which given the price isn't surprising). The significant difference for me is that there;s no visible scuffing on the barrel of the 12, but there is on the 17.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 7th August 2014

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,137 Times in 1,142 Posts

I've used a few JJC plastic hoods & some needed a little modifying to help with the fit & an application of a little graphite to help too, but on the whole, they are OK. If Olympus supplied them with all their lenses there wouldn't be this market for aftermarket hoods & the ill feeling of being ripped off to just have a hood that should have been with the lens in the first lace.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Liked This Post:
Wee man (7th August 2014)
Old 7th August 2014

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,137 Times in 1,142 Posts

Another beef about hoods, Olympus remade a petal hood for the 12-50 lens (although I could only get the JJC one), but they haven't made a smaller hood for the 75-300 lens as the 70-300 hood is just too large for it & just looks silly as well as taking up extra room in the bag.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Wee man (7th August 2014)
Old 7th August 2014

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

If Olympus included a lens hood with each lens, it wouldn't actually be free. They would still charge something for it. The total price would be higher. At least now we can save much of the Olympus price and buy a JJC at a sensible price.

So, in effect we are better off. And should be happy about it. Still not happy? Then you can send what you saved back to Olympus.
Old 21st November 2015

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

I have used JJC hoods for all my lenses except one and am perfectly happy with them. No problem with fitting and no rattling.

The once exception is the Olympus Zuiko 45mm f1.8 lens. I felt that both the Olympus original and the JJC copy (which I have but not using) are too large and cumbersome. I bought Dorr's screw-on metal hood for 11.99 and it is much more compact but as it is designed differently, works just as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Loup Garou For This Useful Post:
ian p (21st November 2015)
Old 21st November 2015

Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts

the jjc hood for the 60mm doesnt need a screw and works perfectly, no scratches etc.
My point being dont rule out jjc for every lens if you are reading this thread wondering.
Some are very good however I thank the original post as i will now purchase the genuine hood for a 75mm based on that experience.

I have a theory though that maybe olympus should give customers 2 options one with hood and one without but with a bonus price (incentive) to purchase both. Id defo buy the olympus one every time then.

For example olympus 12-40 includes it so does 40-150 pro. I admit they are the pro range but really love them. Maybe olympus need to simplify and at least give the option throughout range as inclusive.
Old 21st November 2015

IMO Olympus and perhaps other mainstream camera manufacturers charge way too much for relatively simple accessories like lens hoods, front caps etc. I can understand premium prices for precision optics but plain attachments like hoods and caps should not be so expensive when they are being mass produced.
byegad (23rd November 2015)
Old 23rd November 2015

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
IMO Olympus and perhaps other mainstream camera manufacturers charge way too much for relatively simple accessories like lens hoods, front caps etc. I can understand premium prices for precision optics but plain attachments like hoods and caps should not be so expensive when they are being mass produced.

I too use JJC hoods on many of my lenses. I have nothing but praise for JJC and am amazed at how much extra Olympus (And Panasonic) want to charge for their own product. How can they justify charging 4 or 5 times, and sometimes a lot more, the cost of JJC?

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
Loup Garou (2nd December 2015)
Old 2nd December 2015

The JJC hood for my Olympus 75mm f1.8 (Silver) arrived yesterday. I had read many posts about how JJC had not quite got the silver shade right but I confess that I certainly could not make out that difference at first or even second glance. Maybe, if one holds both in bright light one might see a very tiny difference but frankly, unless somebody has OCD, I cannot see how this can be an issue.