Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 7th December 2009
Bonsaidad

Olympus/Zuiko 70 to 300mm

I have been contemplating buying a Optika 500mm mirror lens, but not to worry after careful consideration i thought "its not the lens for me".
Instead i shall wait a little longer and get the Zuiko 70 to 300mm lens from Amazon at just under 300.00, and after a few weeks get the EX 25 at 150.00, by far a cheaper way of getting a large lens, and with the EX 25 doubling the focal length of the lens, it takes it to 600mm, more than enough for what i need.
Now has anyone had experience with the Zuiko lens, and this combination, i would be very interested to find out.

Best regards Paul
Old 7th December 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Olympus/Zuiko 70 to 300mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsaidad View Post
I have been contemplating buying a Optika 500mm mirror lens, but not to worry after careful consideration i thought "its not the lens for me".
Instead i shall wait a little longer and get the Zuiko 70 to 300mm lens from Amazon at just under 300.00, and after a few weeks get the EX 25 at 150.00, by far a cheaper way of getting a large lens, and with the EX 25 doubling the focal length of the lens, it takes it to 600mm, more than enough for what i need.
Now has anyone had experience with the Zuiko lens, and this combination, i would be very interested to find out.

Best regards Paul
Always been a bit confused about extension tubes but

1) I don't think they effectively double the focal length

but

2) they do reduce the minimum focussing distance - thus making things bigger because they are closer,

I've always understood this comes at the expense of being able to focus at far away objects.

So I'm not sure they will make a usable 'long' lens out of the 70-300.

Come the morning I'm sure Ian or another 'grown up' photographer will clarify, but I wouldn't push one-click ordering till then.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 7th December 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Always been a bit confused about extension tubes but

1) I don't think they effectively double the focal length

but

2) they do reduce the minimum focussing distance - thus making things bigger because they are closer,

I've always understood this comes at the expense of being able to focus at far away objects.

So I'm not sure they will make a usable 'long' lens out of the 70-300.

Come the morning I'm sure Ian or another 'grown up' photographer will clarify, but I wouldn't push one-click ordering till then.

Nick
A big thanks for the reply Nick.
Again i checked the write up on Amazon, and it seems you are correct in what you say.
It states that it doubles the magnification, and not the focal length of the lens, how this would effect objects in the distance i am not sure, but as you say the members in the know will eventually give us an answer.

Best regards Paul
Old 7th December 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:

Best regards Paul
Hi Paul

I'm afraid it doesn't quite work that way. To get double the focal length with all the trimmings, you will need the EC20, not the EX25. The EC20 is a x2 converter and will make your 70-300mm effectively operate as a 140-600mm.

I must add though, that the 70-300 is not the fastest lens in the world, and though I swear by it, and have achieved decent results with it, it is not the best lens upon which to use the EC20. I wouldn't use it with this, as you'll lose two full stops of light.

I use the EC14, a x1.4 teleconverter with this lens, making it a super 98-420mm lens.

Unfortunately, there's no cheap way to get a decent lens, at 600mm...!

Old 7th December 2009

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

You might look out for a Tamron 500mm f8 mirror lens or its smaller sister the Tamron 350mm f5.6 mirror on ebay. These seem to go for 80 to 100. If you get a Tamron Adaptall - 4/3 adapter you can use this and many other nice Tamron lenses...

However I will say you always see these 500mm lenses for sale. There must be a reason - too long to hand hold? doughnut shaped bokeh? People seem to buy them, try them then sell them.

Good luck with your search. Whatever you decide on, don't be tempted to buy a cheap 2x teleconverter. The Olympus EC14 and EC20 are very expensive for a reason

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 7th December 2009
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts

I had a 500mm mirror lens many years ago, and never got one decent picture from it! A few arguments against then...

1. They are generally too long for working hand-held despite being compact and light which tempts you to do it!
2. Fixed aperture (usually f/8 or nothing!)
3. Low contrast - not too sure about this in general but mine was hopeless
4. Doughnut-shaped out of focus highlights (not necessarily a problem, maybe a mater of taste)
5. Using filters is difficult

Eventually I traded mine in for a wide-angle lens!

Also beware 2x converters - even the Oly one. You will lose two full stops of effective aperture. With a 1.4x you only lose one stop.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 7th December 2009
davidsa

I have had promising initial results with a 200mm (fixed focus) f4 legacy OM lens, cost about 45 on Ebay, (incl p & p). It is a reassuringly solid lump of metal and glass.

It has, of course, significantly more reach than the kit 40-150mm, and appears to offer similar resolution.

The only problem was that it proved too heavy for the first adapter ring I bought (some 6 again on Ebay), quickly inducing a wobble and then not focussing properly, but it seems fine with a better one.

I've tried it with a 2 x 1 Vivitar converter (by courtesy of Ellie) and the reach is spectacular, (equivalent to 800mm on full frame) but the maximum aperture is f8, although adjustable.

This could be a way to go - without breaking the bank - if you don't mind not having a zoom (in theory better quality without) and being limited to aperture priority.

David
Old 7th December 2009

Liked 1,628 Times in 1,040 Posts

My experience with old 35mm lenses is that whilst they may be reasonably sharp, the contrast is lower than the digital Zuikos.

Jim
Old 7th December 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
My experience with old 35mm lenses is that whilst they may be reasonably sharp, the contrast is lower than the digital Zuikos.

Jim

Thanks for your input Jim.
i want to steer clear of OM lens as they are manual focus, but it has to be a digital lens for me.

Best regards Paul
Old 7th December 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
I have had promising initial results with a 200mm (fixed focus) f4 legacy OM lens, cost about 45 on Ebay, (incl p & p). It is a reassuringly solid lump of metal and glass.

It has, of course, significantly more reach than the kit 40-150mm, and appears to offer similar resolution.

The only problem was that it proved too heavy for the first adapter ring I bought (some 6 again on Ebay), quickly inducing a wobble and then not focusing properly, but it seems fine with a better one.

I've tried it with a 2 x 1 Vivitar converter (by courtesy of Ellie) and the reach is spectacular, (equivalent to 800mm on full frame) but the maximum aperture is f8, although adjustable.

This could be a way to go - without breaking the bank - if you don't mind not having a zoom (in theory better quality without) and being limited to aperture priority.

David

The best of it is David, i had a chance of a Sigma 40 to 200mm a few weeks ago for just 67.00, and i let it go , well i think it started from 40mm but it definitely went to 200mm.
I should have snapped it up, but i thought there was not lot of difference between 150mm and 200 in reach, so i did not bother to buy it.
but then again with a teleconverter that lens would have been big enough for wildlife.

Best regards Paul
Old 7th December 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 1,705 Times in 772 Posts

Quote:
The best of it is David, i had a chance of a Sigma 40 to 200mm a few weeks ago for just 67.00, and i let it go , well i think it started from 40mm but it definitely went to 200mm.
I should have snapped it up, but i thought there was not lot of difference between 150mm and 200 in reach, so i did not bother to buy it.
but then again with a teleconverter that lens would have been big enough for wildlife.

Best regards Paul
Sounds like it was a Sigma 55-200, which is not a lens I'd recommend.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 7th December 2009
Bonsaidad

Thanks Ian.
Is there any particular reason that this lens is not that good ?, i would be interested to find out!.
Now that you have said its a bit iffy, i am glad i did not get it or it would have been a total waste of money.

Best regards Paul
Old 7th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Paul

The 70 - 300mm can be purchased much cheaper than 300.
I have just purchased a new one for 239.

Regards
Ian
Old 8th December 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivkerr View Post
Hi Paul

The 70 - 300mm can be purchased much cheaper than 300.
I have just purchased a new one for 239.

Regards
Ian
Thanks very much for this info Ian.
Can you tell me where you had it from, as i may be able to get it sooner than i hoped, especially at that price.

Best regards Paul
Old 8th December 2009

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

A few members have dealt with Kerso on Ebay.

Apparently if you email him and deal out with ebay then items can be had a little cheaper. The EC-14 comes in dearer than the 70-300 mind.

Kerso's ebay link