Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 4th May 2019

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts
Re: The beauty of grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
For example, I wouldn't change a 'pixel' of the knackered and grainy images shot on Omaha Beach as Robert Capa struggled off the landing craft. This adds to the story, which includes how the film was damaged and almost lost during processing.
But I'd bet that if the images had been 'perfect' in the first place, you wouldn't say 'I wish that the images were knackered and grainy, because it would add to the story!'

My memories of film days are that grain was an evil that needed to be struggled against by the manufactures of the film and developers, as well as the users.

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (4th May 2019)
Old 4th May 2019

Liked 1,259 Times in 720 Posts
Re: The beauty of grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
But I'd bet that if the images had been 'perfect' in the first place, you wouldn't say 'I wish that the images were knackered and grainy, because it would add to the story!'

My memories of film days are that grain was an evil that needed to be struggled against by the manufactures of the film and developers, as well as the users.

Jim
True, Jim, but we would lose the interesting back story. I agree that Arbus' images would be better if technically improved, but Moriyama's would mostly be pretty dull if they were!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.