Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 29th December 2017

Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
Re: Camera scanned with EM5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
One of my problems though is that my best slides are mounted in glass, and I'm NOT NOT! NOT going to unmount them to scan them! (I have many faults, I'm sure, but I'm not that mad!) I found using the slide copier that the glass causes the focus to be off enough to make them unsharp.

Given the age of those slides, and their content (many are of the interiors of stately homes, some of which don't exist any more) I had thought there may be an archive somewhere that might like them, and I spoke to National Heritage, but they weren't in the slightest bit interested. And they are even all catalogued and most are dated!
I have unmounted many glass mounted slides without problems (mostly from GePe mounts). Provided that the emulsion has not stuck to the glass (usually from projector heat or bad storage) you should be OK.

There must be an archive somewhere that would like your slides - have you tried the County Archives for the relevant areas? In my past experience with Kent County Archives, they are always on the lookout for good material. Another thing which would be worth doing (if you can get a decent scan) would be to upload them to Geograph - a really useful resource (and one which could do with some decent quality pictures!!).

Negafix is not the only way to remove colour masks accurately, I usually take a sample from the blank area of a photographed colour negative, and use that to create a subtraction mask in Photoshop - this removes the negative base colour very accurately.

David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcbrookes For This Useful Post:
KeithL (29th December 2017), Ricoh (29th December 2017)
Old 29th December 2017

EM-5ii with 60 mm Macro v. Plustek 8100 scanner.

Comparative test as promised. These are taken from an FP4 negative (shot 40 years ago) and scaled to the same size (5K pixels on the longest side). All have had similar sharpening.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plustek-Test A.jpg (176.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Plustek-Test B.jpg (137.1 KB, 11 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dcbrookes For This Useful Post:
KeithL (29th December 2017), Otto (29th December 2017), Ricoh (29th December 2017)
Old 29th December 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrookes View Post
I have unmounted many glass mounted slides without problems (mostly from GePe mounts). Provided that the emulsion has not stuck to the glass (usually from projector heat or bad storage) you should be OK.

There must be an archive somewhere that would like your slides - have you tried the County Archives for the relevant areas? In my past experience with Kent County Archives, they are always on the lookout for good material. Another thing which would be worth doing (if you can get a decent scan) would be to upload them to Geograph - a really useful resource (and one which could do with some decent quality pictures!!).

Negafix is not the only way to remove colour masks accurately, I usually take a sample from the blank area of a photographed colour negative, and use that to create a subtraction mask in Photoshop - this removes the negative base colour very accurately.

David
Mine are mostly proper glass mounted slides, not GePe mounts: two 50mm square pieces of glass, sandwiching a glued together mask with the slide in it, and the whole glued together with gummed and shaped strips. It would be possible to open them, yes, but the time to put them back together would be vastly more than I can spare.

I might have a chat with someone at Norwich Castle Museum one of these days. Separating them into sets by county would take ages; they cover a wide area over much of the Midlands, South West, part of Wales, Yorkshire, and Scotland. i was a busy little bee in those days! You couldn't photograph stately homes like that now - most wouldn't allow it. One was photographed for its owners, now long dead. I was out most weekends, and would come back and process the films. Perhaps it would be seen as a strange hobby today, but it satisfied my passion for history at the time.

Incidentally, seeing as you are in Herefordshire, do you remember the house Hellens at Much Marcle, when it was owned by Axel Munthe, the author? I and my brother went there one December day in the mid-60s, and much of it then was lit with candles, which the caretaker had to light for us. That place was SPOOKY! It had a stone table in the hall that was reputedly the table at which the Black Prince had his last supper on the way to the wars in France. From what I can see on the net, nothing like that now.
Old 29th December 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
EM-5ii with 60 mm Macro v. Plustek 8100 scanner.

Comparative test as promised. These are taken from an FP4 negative (shot 40 years ago) and scaled to the same size (5K pixels on the longest side). All have had similar sharpening.

David
Thank you. Thumbnails are a bit small. Any chance of posting something larger?
Must say I like the grain of the Plustek scan from the 1st pairing.

on flickr
Old 29th December 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
One was photographed for its owners, now long dead. I was out most weekends, and would come back and process the films. Perhaps it would be seen as a strange hobby today, but it satisfied my passion for history at the time.

Incidentally, seeing as you are in Herefordshire, do you remember the house Hellens at Much Marcle, when it was owned by Axel Munthe, the author? I and my brother went there one December day in the mid-60s, and much of it then was lit with candles, which the caretaker had to light for us. That place was SPOOKY! It had a stone table in the hall that was reputedly the table at which the Black Prince had his last supper on the way to the wars in France. From what I can see on the net, nothing like that now.
I do not regard it as a strange hobby, rather one after my own heart. I photographed a large Jacobean mansion in Kent in the late 1970s (on 5" x 4" film) and produced two albums for the owners just before they sold the house, which is now a school.

I have never been to Hellens, which is only open sporadically, and I certainly do not remember it when Axel Munthe was alive - he died in 1949, when I was four! The latest edition of the Herefordshire Pevsner does not mention the table, but does say that a carving of the Prince of Wales feathers on a chimney piece is probably 14th century, which could make it contemporary with the battle of Crécy when the emblem was adopted by the Black Prince.

David
Old 31st December 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
I do not regard it as a strange hobby, rather one after my own heart. I photographed a large Jacobean mansion in Kent in the late 1970s (on 5" x 4" film) and produced two albums for the owners just before they sold the house, which is now a school.

I have never been to Hellens, which is only open sporadically, and I certainly do not remember it when Axel Munthe was alive - he died in 1949, when I was four! The latest edition of the Herefordshire Pevsner does not mention the table, but does say that a carving of the Prince of Wales feathers on a chimney piece is probably 14th century, which could make it contemporary with the battle of Crécy when the emblem was adopted by the Black Prince.

David
Really? The lady who took us around talked about him as if he were still alive! That was about 1965 or 6. That table intrigued me. Like so many things, I tend to doubt its authenticity. Such stories abounded fifty years ago; modern research sheds a different light on things.

Just checked its website: "In 1930 Blanche Walwyn Cooke sold the house to Lady Helena Gleichen, Queen Victoria's great-niece, friend of Axel Munthe, and a cousin to Hilda, Axel's wife, who was also related to the Walwyns, the Cookes, and to the Whartons. When Helena Gleichen left Hellens, the house passed to Hilda Pennington Mellor Munthe." The latter died in 1967, so it was she who owned it when we saw it. The photographs on the website don't show the table. And photography is banned inside the house. Intriguing! It's said to be one of the oldest houses in England; and back when we saw it, we were told the foundations are Roman.