Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 6th November 2008

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts
Re: Olympus E-30 analysed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
I might have missed a trick here but I thought the original 14-54 was just a consumer lens e.g not splash proof. Sorry if I am wrong.

Peter
Yes, it is a Pro lens and is splashproof: http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_13092.htm

Steve
Old 6th November 2008

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts

At first look I thought the new 14-54mm lens would be a SWD lens, on closer look it would appear not. I would have thought that if Olympus were upgrading lenses they would make them SWD. An opportunity lost perhaps, or maybe it would be too close in spec to the 12-60mm (?). The 12-60mm widest apperture is f/2.8 - f/4.0 whilst the new 12-54mm lens is slightly wider at f/2.8 - f/3.5.

Just noticed, the link I gave above shows the new lens - that was quick Olympus.

Steve
Old 6th November 2008
Henk

Quote:
The new lens is a Pro standard lens, weather sealed etc. The older lens is in the consumer range.
Like Steve already wrote it's Pro. The 12-60SWD which was launched with the E-3 is Pro too. Check this site: http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/prod...slr/lenses/#hg

Quote:
I think it is a coincidence that both were launched together.
I don't think so, the new lens is equipped for use with contrast detection autofocus with the E-30, the "old" model 14-54 is not.

For the same reasons the new 14-42 standard grade lens was launched with the E420/E520.
Old 6th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
I'm intrigued by the levelling/pitch and roll sensor. I think it means the camera senses vertical as well as horizontal. If so it might mean shift lenses could become obsolete. It will be interesting to see how it works when photographing a tall building - or have I got what it does completely wrong?
I don't think it would make shift lenses obsolete (not that there are any designed for 4/3rds anyway - the legacy OM ones don't count: not wide enough). Telling you the camera isn't level is one thing, adjusting the lens to fit in the top of the building while keeping the verticals vertical is quite another. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt_shift_lens

I was hoping for a degree of perspective control when I bought a Lensbaby, but of course it simply tilts rather than shifts. At 50mm, it's not wide enough anyway. Sold it quite quickly... Still waiting for Olympus to make a 14mm (or even 17.5mm) shift lens for 4/3rds.... I don't know why they can't simply recycle the 18mm OM design with movements - the image circle should be large enough, and it would have to be MF anyway???