Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 21st November 2009
Kiwi Paul

Desire over reason :-)

Have you ever desired something you can have but reason says you shouldn't do it?
That my delima at the moment.

I REALLY WANT the Zuiko 14-35mm f2.0 SWD Top pro lens, for lots of reasons, that lens really tugs at my heart strings but at a cost , however I've just found it online from a very reputable seller at a price thats probably going to be as cheap as I'll ever get it and combined with the Oly cash back offer it's really the best opportunity I'll get to buy one new.

However it's still a LOT of dosh, yes I can afford it but that money would be better sitting in a bank account wouldn't it??

I may not become a better photographer if I get the lens but the pleasure of owning it and having such a lovely thing and appreciating the sheer quality of what it offers makes it sooooo tempting.

I know the 12-60 covers a wider focal length (but it's a measly f2.8-4.0) but the 14-35 makes keeping the 9-18mm more worthwhile AND I already have a EC20 so with that in my pocket the 14-35 becomes a 14-70 f2.0-4.0 and yes I know the 14-35 reputedly has some auto focus issues but these seem to be lens dependant and the one I used on the Scotland meet worked perfectly.

So should I be sensible and keep my perfectly adequate 12-60mm SWD or be the devil sell the 12-60mm and buy the 14-35 just coz I REALLY want it and would appreciate it?

Oooooh temptation

Paul
Old 21st November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts
Re: Desire over reason :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
Have you ever desired something you can have but reason says you shouldn't do it?
That my delima at the moment.

I REALLY WANT the Zuiko 14-35mm f2.0 SWD Top pro lens, for lots of reasons, that lens really tugs at my heart strings but at a cost , however I've just found it online from a very reputable seller at a price thats probably going to be as cheap as I'll ever get it and combined with the Oly cash back offer it's really the best opportunity I'll get to buy one new.

However it's still a LOT of dosh, yes I can afford it but that money would be better sitting in a bank account wouldn't it??

I may not become a better photographer if I get the lens but the pleasure of owning it and having such a lovely thing and appreciating the sheer quality of what it offers makes it sooooo tempting.

I know the 12-60 covers a wider focal length (but it's a measly f2.8-4.0) but the 14-35 makes keeping the 9-18mm more worthwhile AND I already have a EC20 so with that in my pocket the 14-35 becomes a 14-70 f2.0-4.0 and yes I know the 14-35 reputedly has some auto focus issues but these seem to be lens dependant and the one I used on the Scotland meet worked perfectly.

So should I be sensible and keep my perfectly adequate 12-60mm SWD or be the devil sell the 12-60mm and buy the 14-35 just coz I REALLY want it and would appreciate it?

Oooooh temptation

Paul
Hi Paul,

I understand the lust for this lens because I am a fellow sufferer and as with you it's all Ian's fault!

If you really can afford it I would say "yes, why not?" That constant f2 aperture is amazing and the quality even wide open is startling! However, if you have other priorities to which that cash would be better directed then it has to be said that the 12-60 is pretty amazing in it's own right.

It has to be your call, but in your position I'm not sure that I would be strong enough to resist the temptation.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd November 2009
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
[... deleted ...] but that money would be better sitting in a bank account wouldn't it??[... deleted ...]
At the derisory interest rates they are currently offering?
Old 22nd November 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Hey Paul

You mentioned you can afford it... well in my opinion, there's your answer. If you had said you "could/might/perhaps afford" etc then that's different, but you said you can afford it.

Go for it... you know you want to.

Old 22nd November 2009

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts

Go for it if you can afford it. I was asking myself the same question last year when considering the 7-14mm - I went for it.

The only problem is that I now want a 35-100mm f.2.0 and then wouldn't a 90-250mm f/2.8 be nice?

You can't beat some f/2.0 glass

Steve

Last edited by Wreckdiver; 22nd November 2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 22nd November 2009
EH1

Smile Re: Desire over reason :-)

The last place you want your money at the moment is in the bank! Get the lens, you could always sell it again in the future if you needed the money!
Old 22nd November 2009
Kiwi Paul

Hmmm the consensus seems to be "Go for it!!" gulp lol.

Well my delima has just been amplified, I've now found a 2nd hand one from a UK online shop for about 170 less than what the brand spankers new one would cost, I'll need to ring and get the low down on the 2nd hand one, but assumming it's a good one with a warranty etc should I save some dosh and get that or just pay the extra and get the new one with the 2 year Oly warranty plus the bonus it's new?

Life can be soooo tough sometimes ;-)

Paul
Old 22nd November 2009

Quote:
I've now found a 2nd hand one from a UK online shop for about 170 less than what the brand spankers new one would cost .....should I save some dosh and get that or just pay the extra and get the new one with the 2 year Oly warranty plus the bonus it's new?
There's 90 cashback on a new lens and with a full warranty this is a no brainer.
Old 22nd November 2009

How does this price compare: 14-35mm f.2.0?

Don't know anything about the company though.

Steve
Old 22nd November 2009
Kiwi Paul

Thanks Steve,

The price seems very good but they ship from HK so add 20% tax and duty + 20 quid shipping and ins so the best price I've found is still from Amazon -90 quid Oly cash back.

The second hand lens is 170 cheaper after Oly cash back.

Paul
Old 22nd November 2009

Quote:
Thanks Steve,

The price seems very good but they ship from HK so add 20% tax and duty + 20 quid shipping and ins so the best price I've found is still from Amazon -90 quid Oly cash back.

The second hand lens is 170 cheaper after Oly cash back.

Paul
Ah, OK, it was just a quick search.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the resulting photos.

Steve
Old 22nd November 2009

Never thought to look on Amazon for lenses. They've got the 35-100mm for 1,691.68 then less the 100 cashback. Hmm............ interesting (and tempting).

35-100mm 35-100mm

Steve
Old 22nd November 2009
Kiwi Paul

Oh no what have I done????? I just pressed the button so that's it, it's on it's way "cringe" lol.

Anyone in the market for a 12-60, E520 and 25mm Pancake lens?? Serious. I'll be putting up for sale in a few days on the forum then E-bay if no takers.

Paul
Old 22nd November 2009
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts

The Amazon 1-Click option can get you into serious trouble!

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 23rd November 2009

Liked 98 Times in 30 Posts

I have used the 14-35 f2 you will not be dissapointed with the quality. Not a light lens but so bright. I went through the same should I shouldn't I when I bought my 90-250. Not regretted it.

www.dncphotography.co.uk