Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21st January 2008
art frames's Avatar
art frames art frames is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 3,389
Thanks: 280
Thanked 319 Times in 284 Posts
Likes: 1,001
Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts
Assorted tits

I'm not good at identifying all of these birds yet. I just like the antics of the tits around the bird feeder at my local forest clearing. I found it to be a real test of the AF on the E3 and have been there again today with the new body with much more success.

Of 192 shots, 19 were very good (focus, exposure and composition) and the bulk of the others were sharp enough for me. I'm still seeing a few where I know the camera didn't achieve focus but can't establish whether it was the camera or me. It can be quite fast moving out there and there are several with the bird moving off. All were taken S-AF. I tried C-AF once but it was just crazy swapping in and out of focus without stopping.

So apologies for the subject matter for those who don't like birds but here are a few for those that do.
















You can see it was a bit gloomy but I have been itching to get out and try the camera out. As always I find the 50-200mm a bit too short but I haven't been able to get the 2.0 converter yet. I have also worked at trying the various spot focus modes with some dial up exposure compensation to cope with the backlighting. It needs to be worked hard to get it right. Not an easy camera in tricky light.

I'm getting more comfortable with the camera again. And I'm trying to stop reading the stories about the focus problems - but I guess that will take a while.

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22nd January 2008
Garrie's Avatar
Garrie Garrie is offline
SonorG
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,003
Thanks: 65
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Likes: 2
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Assorted tits

Title got me interested

I like these, DOF is great, Sharpness is superb.

4th one and last one is my Fav.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22nd January 2008
art frames's Avatar
art frames art frames is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 3,389
Thanks: 280
Thanked 319 Times in 284 Posts
Likes: 1,001
Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts
Re: Assorted tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
Title got me interested

I like these, DOF is great, Sharpness is superb.

4th one and last one is my Fav.
Sorry if you were disappointed in subject. I would be happy photographing people too but they don't display as well.

Was it Frankie Howard who made the 'tits like coconuts' joke?

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22nd January 2008
Garrie's Avatar
Garrie Garrie is offline
SonorG
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,003
Thanks: 65
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Likes: 2
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Assorted tits

not disappointed at all, I really like the shots
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23rd January 2008
theMusicMan's Avatar
theMusicMan theMusicMan is offline
E-3 Enthusiast....:)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Wales
Posts: 5,878
Thanks: 143
Thanked 267 Times in 178 Posts
Likes: 8
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Assorted tits

Lovely shots Peter, smashing set you have there, and what a wonderful opportunity you have to get to a hide where these birds frequently visit. Super images.

I'd guess at them being:

1 - Coal Tit
2 - Great Tit
3 - Blue Tit
4 - Robin
5 - Great Tit
6 - Coal Tit
7 - Great Tit

How's that...?
__________________
John

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23rd January 2008
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 8,757
Thanks: 480
Thanked 625 Times in 541 Posts
Likes: 2,811
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts
Re: Assorted tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
I'd guess at them being:

1 - Coal Tit
2 - Great Tit
3 - Blue Tit
4 - Robin
5 - Great Tit
6 - Coal Tit
7 - Great Tit
I'd agree with the list. I've alway wanted to get some shots of Long-Tailed Tits, but they never stay long enough in one place. By the time you've realised that there is a troop of them moving through your garden and fetched the camera, they've moved on!

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23rd January 2008
art frames's Avatar
art frames art frames is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 3,389
Thanks: 280
Thanked 319 Times in 284 Posts
Likes: 1,001
Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts
Re: Assorted tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I'd agree with the list. I've alway wanted to get some shots of Long-Tailed Tits, but they never stay long enough in one place. By the time you've realised that there is a troop of them moving through your garden and fetched the camera, they've moved on!

Jim
Jim

I have a good friend who swears by grated cheese. Put this on the bush where they pass through. They will go mad and you have a while to shoot. But they are so pretty and fast!

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23rd January 2008
art frames's Avatar
art frames art frames is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 3,389
Thanks: 280
Thanked 319 Times in 284 Posts
Likes: 1,001
Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts
Re: Assorted tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Lovely shots Peter, smashing set you have there, and what a wonderful opportunity you have to get to a hide where these birds frequently visit. Super images.

I'd guess at them being:

1 - Coal Tit
2 - Great Tit
3 - Blue Tit
4 - Robin
5 - Great Tit
6 - Coal Tit
7 - Great Tit

How's that...?
John

Thanks and yes they also have marsh and willow tits and nuthatch. And on the day I missed the great spotted woodpecker and the sparrowhawk (sound like a fisherman here!).

There is no hide! I just stand still and allow their bellies to conquer their fear. With the 50-200 we are about 3-4 meters away so it needs patience.

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23rd January 2008
Graham_of_Rainham's Avatar
Graham_of_Rainham Graham_of_Rainham is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rainham
Posts: 8,218
Thanks: 647
Thanked 949 Times in 735 Posts
Likes: 2,309
Liked 1,623 Times in 936 Posts
Re: Assorted tits

I am guessing that the birds knew you were there, as in some shots you have great eye contact, which is unusual and a thing, I think improves the image. Out of interest how far away were you from the feeder? I've tried a few times to do this in my garden (it's cost me a fortune in nuts) but all I get is Sparrows...

All very nice shots but 5&6 are my choice.

Last edited by Graham_of_Rainham; 23rd January 2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spellin erra
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23rd January 2008
art frames's Avatar
art frames art frames is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 3,389
Thanks: 280
Thanked 319 Times in 284 Posts
Likes: 1,001
Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts
Re: Assorted tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I am guessing that the birds knew you were there, as in some shots you have great eye contact, which is unusual and a thing, I think improves the image. Out of interest how far away were you from the feeder? I've tried a few times to do this in my garden (it's cost me a fortune in nuts) but all I get is Sparrows...

All very nice shots but 5&6 are my choice.
I was about 3-4 metres. I agree about the eyes. I tried not to shoot until I got a sparkle. I am learning how to wait...I miss dozens.

This is a public feeder in a clearing with a car park. I love watching the public walk by oblivious to whatever is there. It is cheaper on feed plus the birds are a bit conditioned!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24th January 2008
Ellie Ellie is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SW Hants, UK
Posts: 2,382
Thanks: 62
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Assorted tits

They're great pictures, I think I like the last one best because the bird looks more curious than concerned.

Lucky you to see these in a park, I have to rely on them coming into the garden and try taking pictures through the window.

We get Long-tailed Tits, they seem to like the fat feeders more than anything. I've got a picture on my site of one I took last year. It's here if you'd like to look at it, seems a bit cheeky to add it to your thread.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24th January 2008
Nick Temple-Fry's Avatar
Nick Temple-Fry Nick Temple-Fry is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 4,395
Thanks: 17
Thanked 190 Times in 142 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Assorted tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
They're great pictures, I think I like the last one best because the bird looks more curious than concerned.

Lucky you to see these in a park, I have to rely on them coming into the garden and try taking pictures through the window.

We get Long-tailed Tits, they seem to like the fat feeders more than anything. I've got a picture on my site of one I took last year. It's here if you'd like to look at it, seems a bit cheeky to add it to your thread.
And a very nice picture it is too

Nick
__________________
Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24th January 2008
PeterD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Assorted tits

Peter,

As usual, another very good set of images. I see you are off C-AF for the time being but who needs it when you get such good shots as these.

One question though, how did the Robin get in on the act under this title? Or were you just testing us

All the best and more good shooting

PeterD
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24th January 2008
art frames's Avatar
art frames art frames is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 3,389
Thanks: 280
Thanked 319 Times in 284 Posts
Likes: 1,001
Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts
Re: Assorted tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
They're great pictures, I think I like the last one best because the bird looks more curious than concerned.

Lucky you to see these in a park, I have to rely on them coming into the garden and try taking pictures through the window.

We get Long-tailed Tits, they seem to like the fat feeders more than anything. I've got a picture on my site of one I took last year. It's here if you'd like to look at it, seems a bit cheeky to add it to your thread.
Ellie

Not at all cheeky - and it is lovely and atmospheric. I would recommend everyone has a look at Ellie's picture .

I have taken a few through glass but don't like the impact on colour and sharpness. But your 'moody/stormy' look has got me thinking. 'Can I get more tonal depth into mine when I shoot'. Thank you.

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24th January 2008
art frames's Avatar
art frames art frames is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 3,389
Thanks: 280
Thanked 319 Times in 284 Posts
Likes: 1,001
Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts
Re: Assorted tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Peter,

As usual, another very good set of images. I see you are off C-AF for the time being but who needs it when you get such good shots as these.

One question though, how did the Robin get in on the act under this title? Or were you just testing us

All the best and more good shooting

PeterD
Peter

Is that a robin? Is there not a red bellied tit?

Well you learn something new each day ... who'd have believed it!

Peter
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:22 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger