Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 17th February 2014

Thanked 1,446 Times in 1,335 Posts
Liked 2,435 Times in 1,153 Posts
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M10 hands-on preview and image samples

I'm not sure but it seems to me that the key flaw for me with landscapes with the E-M1 is the fact it only has horizontal af sensors. If I turn to portrait it's pretty darn good at landscape af with 4/3s lenses. If only they had put cross sensors in it, it would have been brilliant. Now the question is will the next generation have this and therefore be the camera many of us were hoping for. If so then don't get rid of your 4/3s glass. My current thoughts are along the lines of: well to get the performance I want I'll have to go for micro 4/3s lenses. But, if I was going to do that, for me I could probably have got away with an E-M5 or a new E-M10 and saved myself a lot of cash to spend on more micro 4/3s lenses. Truth is I feel a little bit conned by all the 4/3s usability hype. I'm hoping this is a transient feeling that will disappear as I get more used to the camera.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (17th February 2014)
Old 17th February 2014

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Liked 2,218 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmypreston View Post
So the OMD-EM10 is not compatible with four thirds lenses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
As I understand it Tim, you can still use 4/3 lenses via an adaptor but the E-M10 lacks the phase detect system of the E=M1 so AF will not be ideal. Very disappointing result for those like myself who have an E620 and was hoping to upgrade to the EM-10

John
It will work as well as my E-M5 does (& maybe better) with the MMF-3 adapter & the 4/3's lenses optimised for contrast focus will work best, but focus speed is not so fast though. I often use my 14-54 II lens on it.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 18th February 2014

John I'm with you on that.
Old 18th February 2014

Liked 468 Times in 207 Posts

I think it is unlikely that Olympus will expend much effort into improving 4/3 lens AF capability on the next generation of top-end mFT body. They have pretty much done what they promised for 4/3 compatibility (i.e similar performance to the E5) and by the time an E-M1 successor is available the range of Pro mFT zooms should provide better results from 7 to 300mm + the opportunity for Olympus to sell new expensive lenses.
Old 18th February 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
I think it is unlikely that Olympus will expend much effort into improving 4/3 lens AF capability on the next generation of top-end mFT body. They have pretty much done what they promised for 4/3 compatibility (i.e similar performance to the E5) and by the time an E-M1 successor is available the range of Pro mFT zooms should provide better results from 7 to 300mm + the opportunity for Olympus to sell new expensive lenses.
You are missing an important point. The PDAF on-sensor development was not a one-off to settle the promise of Four Thirds compatibility, it's necessary long term to deal with the shortcomings of contrast detect AF with Micro Four Thirds lenses as well as Four Thirds lenses. All the manufacturers of mirrorless cameras are developing on-sensor PDAF to supplement CDAF although Panasonic and Samsung have yet to show anything. Nikon, Canon, Sony and Olympus all have this technology now. It's here to stay.

Why is PDAF not on the E-M10? There could be several reasons and cost could be one. But the E-M1 solution is an early iteration of the technology. Olympus needs to develop a cross-type system to satisfy everyone. It will be in most models some time in the future.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 18th February 2014

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
I think it is unlikely that Olympus will expend much effort into improving 4/3 lens AF capability on the next generation of top-end mFT body. ...
Au contraire I expect the opposite : I excpect the E-M1 to have dipped its toes into the PDAF water and further models to enhance the AF of those big old lenses
I do see your point : 'pro' m4/3rds lenses will make the money,
I just can't see them resisting the urge to get the 4/3rds lenses behaving properly.
I do hope the engineers are given the time to do it.

Personally I don't own any of the HG or SHG lenses myself, this is not for me : I'm too easily pleased with SG Olympus stuff.

Edit: in my opinion the most exciting development in old-lens AF is in the Panasonic GH4
Old 18th February 2014

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts

Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered myself an EOS 600D.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/
Old 18th February 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
You are missing an important point. The PDAF on-sensor development was not a one-off to settle the promise of Four Thirds compatibility, it's necessary long term to deal with the shortcomings of contrast detect AF with Micro Four Thirds lenses as well as Four Thirds lenses. All the manufacturers of mirrorless cameras are developing on-sensor PDAF to supplement CDAF although Panasonic and Samsung have yet to show anything. Nikon, Canon, Sony and Olympus all have this technology now. It's here to stay.

Why is PDAF not on the E-M10? There could be several reasons and cost could be one. But the E-M1 solution is an early iteration of the technology. Olympus needs to develop a cross-type system to satisfy everyone. It will be in most models some time in the future.

Ian
Except, the E-M1's sensor is actually a Panasonic sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmypreston View Post
Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered myself an EOS 600D.
To each his own. What lenses will you use on it?
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 18th February 2014

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts

I have ordered the body only plus ef 50mm f1.8 and the ef 75-300 f4-5.6.

Dependant upon how I get on with it my Oly kit could be up for sale,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/
Old 19th February 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Except, the E-M1's sensor is actually a Panasonic sensor.
There seems to be some evidence that the E-M1 sensor is based on a Panasonic (similar in performance characteristics to the Panasonic GX7 sensor) one but the on-sensor PDAF technology is Olympus' which is why it's not on the new Panasonic GH4. The Olympus PDAF system is different in key ways to everyone else's and when I interviewed Olympus engineers in Japan last August when I was given a preview of the E-M1 they made it very clear that while they don't publicly reveal who makes the sensor, key aspects of the sensor technology are theirs. In fact they explained that some of the E-M1 sensor's design is derived from some of sensors developed from Olympus medical imaging equipment.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (19th February 2014)
Old 19th February 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
There seems to be some evidence that the E-M1 sensor is based on a Panasonic (similar in performance characteristics to the Panasonic GX7 sensor) one but the on-sensor PDAF technology is Olympus' which is why it's not on the new Panasonic GH4. The Olympus PDAF system is different in key ways to everyone else's and when I interviewed Olympus engineers in Japan last August when I was given a preview of the E-M1 they made it very clear that while they don't publicly reveal who makes the sensor, key aspects of the sensor technology are theirs. In fact they explained that some of the E-M1 sensor's design is derived from some of sensors developed from Olympus medical imaging equipment.

Ian
Thanks for that Ian, as I didn't doubt Olympus's part of the design, but I thought it was interesting that a Panasonic sensor was used in the E-M1 all the same. As some people like to tear a thing apart to find some things (as they did here), I remember in the (dark) past when components were more discreet (less complex), an IC (integrated circuit) chip would have its details rubbed off it in an attempt to hide the actual component used & stop others copying their circuit design. It didn't always work, but it slowed some people down at that time.
Old 19th February 2014

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Interesting thread. I'm thinking of changing from the E620 to either the OMD E-M5 or the new E-M10. Can anybody advise whether Olympus will be extending the "Fully loaded" offer of a free battery grip & 45mm lens to new purchases of the E-M10 ?
Old 19th February 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermboy View Post
Interesting thread. I'm thinking of changing from the E620 to either the OMD E-M5 or the new E-M10. Can anybody advise whether Olympus will be extending the "Fully loaded" offer of a free battery grip & 45mm lens to new purchases of the E-M10 ?
I should imagine it will have its own set of offers. As far as I know there is no battery grip for the E-M10, just a grip extension.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 19th February 2014

Olympus needs to develop a cross-type system to satisfy everyone. It will be in most models some time in the future.
Ian I don't know if I'm pleased with your quote above or not. Sounds like I'm going to be upgrading again as soon as that happens. Happy to hear of a future fix, not so happy to have to fork out more money for an upgrade when I thought I'd already done that.
Old 20th February 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Olympus needs to develop a cross-type system to satisfy everyone. It will be in most models some time in the future.
Ian I don't know if I'm pleased with your quote above or not. Sounds like I'm going to be upgrading again as soon as that happens. Happy to hear of a future fix, not so happy to have to fork out more money for an upgrade when I thought I'd already done that.
I think that is something that will always happen with any electronic, technical device. Higher tech will continue come & find its way into lower level gear, no matter what that may be & I look forward to further advancements in the Oly range of cameras, because I can't justify buying a new camera every one or two years & in a couple of years time I might be glad I waited (for an updated E-M1 or lower), or maybe not.