Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 7th September 2011

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts
Walking the Dog

This is the first time I have put one of my model photos in this area scary stuff

I had a fantastic opportunity last month to work with a professional model and designer and this is my favourite photo from the shoot

Taken on e5 with 12-60mm and FL-50R off camera at the old Exide Batteries Plant in Pontypool, South Wales

The dog was actually the designers dog, who just brought her along so not to leave her at home, but I thought it could be a cracking photo to include her Whilst taking this shot, she did pull the model over quite a few times

Look forward to comments, thanks for looking

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 7th September 2011

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts
Re: Walking the Dog

Scary picture!

My suggestion for what it's worth: The tiles, the clothes and the model's skin tone are all too similar in colour.

I would try turning the background monochrome and leaving model, clothes and dog in colour. It may pull the eye away from the background towards the model.. Maybe?

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 7th September 2011

Thanks Pete, yes a strange look is what I wanted

The original colours would have done just that as the colours of the skin and dog was different to the background, but in this case I wanted to try a different type of processing effect.

I'll upload the original later to compare

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 7th September 2011
swebber

The picture is definitely scary but I really like it. The dog looks amazing.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
stevednp3 (7th September 2011)
Old 7th September 2011

Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,499 Posts
Liked 4,424 Times in 1,996 Posts

The background and skintone being subtley similar serves to accentuate the sensuousness of the pose and costume, the dog straining at the leash creates a powerful tension and the derelict set adds a bizarre twist to the image.

A fantastic and daring concept, Steve.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 7th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
The background and skintone being subtley similar serves to accentuate the sensuousness of the pose and costume, the dog straining at the leash creates a powerful tension and the derelict set adds a bizarre twist to the image.

A fantastic and daring concept, Steve.
Thanks very much Mark, im trying to come up with different looks lately and glad this has come across to you in this photo

Old 7th September 2011

Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,499 Posts
Liked 4,424 Times in 1,996 Posts

Steve, I keep coming back to this.

I'm no dog lover but I put that aside because I think the image is highly original and has retina lingering impact. This is one of very few pictures posted to forum that has genuinely impressed me with its ingenuity.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 7th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Steve, I keep coming back to this.

I'm no dog lover but I put that aside because I think the image is highly original and has retina lingering impact. This is one of very few pictures posted to forum that has genuinely impressed me with its ingenuity.
Wow, thanks Mark, coming from someone with your talent and experience that's a highly valued compliment, thanks very much indeed

Old 7th September 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Works for me Steve and you have handled it really well including the processing, I absolutely love the concept!

Just a suggestion but for me the brightest part of the image and a eye drawer is the window, so perhaps a crop even though it places the Rottie at the edge of the frame might work, or alternatvley clone in some of the tiled wall there, just a idea.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 7th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
Works for me Steve and you have handled it really well including the processing, I absolutely love the concept!

Just a suggestion but for me the brightest part of the image and a eye drawer is the window, so perhaps a crop even though it places the Rottie at the edge of the frame might work, or alternatvley clone in some of the tiled wall there, just a idea.
Thanks Paul, yes that was one thing that bugged me, I didnt want to crop the photo, but didnt think to clone something in at the time, thanks for the idea

Old 16th September 2011

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

Absolutely love this. Humourous, slightly scary, original. Not your average dog-walker (although there is something suspect about rottie owners ).

I agree the window is a tad disturbing, but cropping it is maybe too drastic, and the dog needs a little room in front. Can you lower the brightness of the window selectively in some way? That might help.

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 17th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
Absolutely love this. Humourous, slightly scary, original. Not your average dog-walker (although there is something suspect about rottie owners ).

I agree the window is a tad disturbing, but cropping it is maybe too drastic, and the dog needs a little room in front. Can you lower the brightness of the window selectively in some way? That might help.
Ha ha thank you, I'm glad you like it, I agree I don't really want to crop the photo, but cloning in some of the bricks over the window should do the trick

Old 17th September 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Protect your Modesty with Rottweiler Security
... derelict properties our speciality !

I could see this being used as an advert! It certainly "gets attention" and could provide a very strong message !

I love the TWIST on the models stomach six pack muscles - which proves the dog is pulling her ! and her awkward gangly pose

I feel it is a masterful, creative composition; unique and unusual; inspiring much discussion regarding all elements.

It is difficult for one to offer "improvement" advice, as we do not know your planned outcome and I suspect THIS IS IT ! Be pleased, be very pleased!
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 17th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Protect your Modesty with Rottweiler Security
... derelict properties our speciality !

I could see this being used as an advert! It certainly "gets attention" and could provide a very strong message !

I love the TWIST on the models stomach six pack muscles - which proves the dog is pulling her ! and her awkward gangly pose

I feel it is a masterful, creative composition; unique and unusual; inspiring much discussion regarding all elements.

It is difficult for one to offer "improvement" advice, as we do not know your planned outcome and I suspect THIS IS IT ! Be pleased, be very pleased!
Oh wow thanks ever so much for such lovely comments. I'm glad it has come across in the photo as the dog was really pulling her and it took about 10 shots to get it the way I wanted, within this time the poor girl was pulled in all directions

I am happy with the outcome, but I agree with everyone that the window can be a distraction and wish i cloned it out

Old 17th September 2011
Usy

I actually like how all the colours blend together, and I like them being so delicate against the strong subject/message.
The dog's face looks a bit out of focus (sharpened a bit in pp), am I wrong?

Amazing photo anyway! Well done!