Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 5th October 2019

Liked 2,518 Times in 1,650 Posts
Re: Boris Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
… if we remain the extra tax raised through the new EU anti-tax avoidance rules can be spent on useful public services.
Hopefully Amazon will also do a runner then, just as they did in Australia when the government there insisted that all taxes due in Australia should be paid in Australia.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jax (5th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 325 Times in 212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
In the last 24 hours, I heard someone say that the EU has changed so much since we voted to leave, and intends to keep changing in the same direction, that the EU we will leave will not be the one we voted to leave.

Perhaps we need another referendum for the current version?

Harold
Indeed it is not the same as the one we voted to leave. It is now much more manipulative, hard, divisive, aggressive, and determined more than ever to thwart any attempt at reasonable negotiation by the UK.

Jax
Keith-369 (5th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,624 Times in 937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
In the last 24 hours, I heard someone say that the EU has changed so much since we voted to leave, and intends to keep changing in the same direction, that the EU we will leave will not be the one we voted to leave.

Perhaps we need another referendum for the current version?

Harold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Indeed it is not the same as the one we voted to leave. It is now much more manipulative, hard, divisive, aggressive, and determined more than ever to thwart any attempt at reasonable negotiation by the UK.

Jax
Change is as inevitable as "Death & Taxes"...

Who would have thought that we would see the death of truth, rise of fake news and the polarisation of people to the levels of today.

However this thread must hold firm against change and maintain the "Boris Bashing"...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Otto (5th October 2019), Ross the fiddler (6th October 2019), wornish (5th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post

Jax
Like many of us I suspect the EU is losing its patience with the UK’s internal squabbling and time wasting, and its inability to negotiate. Mr Tusk advised the UK “do not waste this time” yet that is precisely what this useless excuse for a government has done, and if we get an extension will probably continue to do.
Jim Ford (5th October 2019), MJ224 (6th October 2019), Naughty Nigel (5th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 585 Times in 300 Posts

It does seem to me that whatever this, or any other government of ours, puts forward, the EU will find something wrong with it simply because -

a/ they really don't want us to leave, and
b/ they want to control us, even as we are leaving and after we are gone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith-369 For This Useful Post:
wornish (5th October 2019)
MJ224 (6th October 2019), Naughty Nigel (5th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
It does seem to me that whatever this, or any other government of ours, puts forward, the EU will find something wrong with it simply because -

a/ they really don't want us to leave, and
b/ they want to control us, even as we are leaving and after we are gone.
I think that it's because they are simply fed up with the ineptitude of our government - poncing around for two years and leaving it until the last few weeks to come up with increasingly ludicrous ideas.

Wouldn't you be exasperated if you were an EU diplomat, dealing with our clowns?

Regarding 'b': America will be controlling us when we leave. Isn't that obvious?

Jim
Otto (5th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I think that it's because they are simply fed up with the ineptitude of our government - poncing around for two years and leaving it until the last few weeks to come up with increasingly ludicrous ideas.

Wouldn't you be exasperated if you were an EU diplomat, dealing with our clowns?

Regarding 'b': America will be controlling us when we leave. Isn't that obvious?

Jim
Yes I would be exasperated, but then the EU mandarins have made no effort whatsoever to ease the process.

As for our 'special relationship with America', lets just see whether the American authorities are prepared to return the diplomat's wife accused of killing Harry Dunn, the 19 year old motorcyclist who lost his life in a crash to near RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire on 27 August.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
MJ224 (6th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Yes I would be exasperated, but then the EU mandarins have made no effort whatsoever to ease the process.
Why should they? If you wanted to terminate your membership and leave your local golf club, you wouldn't expect the club secretary to "ease the process". Leave - 'and don't let the door bang your gluteus maximus on the way out!'

Jim
Bengeo (6th October 2019), MJ224 (6th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 325 Times in 212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
As for our 'special relationship with America', lets just see whether the American authorities are prepared to return the diplomat's wife accused of killing Harry Dunn, the 19 year old motorcyclist who lost his life in a crash to near RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire on 27 August.
Trump and diplomatic immunity will probably ensure she is not returned to the UK. All reports seem to indicate she was "spirited away" in great haste by the Americans.

As for The Special Relationship, there is only one sort of special relationship Trump seems to enjoy and it's definitely got nothing to do with the UK or politics.

Jax
Old 5th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Why should they? If you wanted to terminate your membership and leave your local golf club, you wouldn't expect the club secretary to "ease the process". Leave - 'and don't let the door bang your **** on the way out!'

Jim
Doesn't the EU itself have rules to make it easy for customers to switch and cancel (say) mobile phone contracts? As the second largest contributor to the EU we are customers, big time!

The EU also has rules to control monopolies. Their current behaviour is nothing less than monopolistic!

Given the very real risks of renewed violence on the island of Ireland surely the EU has at least a moral duty to mitigate those risks by making reasonable concessions?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jax (5th October 2019), Keith-369 (6th October 2019), wornish (5th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 1,650 Times in 815 Posts

The focus is always on Brexit and what the UK will look like if we leave.

Can I ask "remainers" to describe what this wonderful EU will look like?

The "our way is the only way" club that costs us £1Billion a month membership, and will certainly cost a lot more in the future, it must be so wonderful. What are leavers missing?

Faceless bureaucrats decide our futures. National parliaments are irrelevant and are overridden, all will be so wonderful.

Oh and please don't tell me it can be changed if we stay in, that record broke a long time ago.

My Flickr
Jax (5th October 2019), MJ224 (6th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

O for goodness sake. It will be just like it was before Farage and co started stirring things up. Nobody bothered much about the EU until Cameron got scared about UKIP etc. Splitting the Tory vote. The right wing press, the Mail, Express, Sun etc had drip fed lies about the EU for years to a gullible public. The UK’s GDP has risen far more since we joined the EU than we paid in, some 5% or more I think. Given the threats from Trump’s US, China etc we are much safer staying within a larger group of nations than going it alone. United we stand, divide and conquer etc etc. Can’t you see that?

My last words on the subject for now .
Bengeo (6th October 2019), Jim Ford (6th October 2019), MJ224 (6th October 2019), peak4 (5th October 2019), raichea (9th October 2019), Shaw (6th October 2019), Tram (6th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 195 Times in 130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
O for goodness sake. It will be just like it was before Farage and co started stirring things up. Nobody bothered much about the EU until Cameron got scared about UKIP etc. Splitting the Tory vote. The right wing press, the Mail, Express, Sun etc had drip fed lies about the EU for years to a gullible public. The UK’s GDP has risen far more since we joined the EU than we paid in, some 5% or more I think. Given the threats from Trump’s US, China etc we are much safer staying within a larger group of nations than going it alone. United we stand, divide and conquer etc etc. Can’t you see that?

My last words on the subject for now .
To bring us back to the thread title, before anyone types something to get the thread locked, Don't forget who started the lies about the EU when he was Brussels correspondent for the Telegraph, after being fired from The Times, Yep That's Boris

For anyone who genuinely wishes to be informed, on the topic generally, and in this blog on lies in particular, may I commend folks to read Chris Johns The Brexit Blog.
Honest, well informed, and generally seeks to portray real information, rather than lies, misleading comments, or plain simple misunderstandings.
It's well supported by a variety of hyperlinks to back up his assertions.

One of those hyperlinks, in this most recent blog, refers to a Peter Foster Twitter thread.
If you don't recognise the name, he's The Telegraph's Europe editor, hardly a bastion of left wing journalism.
For those without a Twitter account, I'll add a link to the tweets via ThreadReader HERE

Since the Irish border features heavily in this, see also This Twitter Thread by Seamus Leheny; You may have never heard of him, but he's Policy Manager for the Freight Transport Association in Northern Ireland, so should also be well informed.

There's a lot of bedtime reading there, but if you really want decent information.....................

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following User Says Thank You to peak4 For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (6th October 2019)
Bengeo (6th October 2019), Graham_of_Rainham (6th October 2019), MJ224 (6th October 2019), Otto (5th October 2019)
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 168 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
The focus is always on Brexit and what the UK will look like if we leave.

Can I ask "remainers" to describe what this wonderful EU will look like?

The "our way is the only way" club that costs us £1Billion a month membership, and will certainly cost a lot more in the future, it must be so wonderful. What are leavers missing?

Faceless bureaucrats decide our futures. National parliaments are irrelevant and are overridden, all will be so wonderful.

Oh and please don't tell me it can be changed if we stay in, that record broke a long time ago.
The UK will look just as crap as it always does, Thatcher saw to that many years ago. Everything privatised and run for profit rather than a service.
High streets run down packed full of cheap rubbish goods shops, workers on zero hours contracts. Our home grown chavvy scumbags equal to anything we have imported. Pension schemes not worth a carrot and home ownership replaced by let for life. We have made a right mess of it and now we deny our youngsters the chance of something better elsewhere.
I travel to the EU very often and they are enjoying life much more than the sad place this country has become.
Bengeo (6th October 2019), Graham_of_Rainham (6th October 2019)
Old 6th October 2019

Liked 552 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
It does seem to me that whatever this, or any other government of ours, puts forward, the EU will find something wrong with it .....

I thought they agreed a deal with our Government?
peak4 (6th October 2019)