Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 19th June 2019
DavidB DavidB is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Bucks.
Posts: 273
Thanks: 33
Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts
Likes: 57
Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

Oly Store wont be putting on website for pre-order, only when actually in stock, which should be 1st July, but I'll probably keep on checking for the next 12 days just in case. EDIT: They have now confirmed 28th June as date for accepting orders.

Wont the forthcoming 150-400 f4.5 aperture be reduced by to slightly less (greater f number) than f11.6 if using both the integral 1.25x and the MC-20 2x ? So why should I be that concerned about my 300mm f4 changing to 600mm f8? (In good light).

I'm thinking more about generally pairing it with the 40-150 f2.8, and still pairing my MC-14 with my 300 f4, but swopping stuff around in good light, especially butterflies, or birds at long range.

I'm just getting rather impatient waiting for a decent Oly 100-400mm lens, and suspect that this tc used in conjunction with existing pro lenses will be a far better and cheaper option.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Phill D (20th June 2019)
  #62  
Old 19th June 2019
Beagletorque's Avatar
Beagletorque Beagletorque is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Extreme South Midlands, England
Posts: 7,253
Thanks: 1,239
Thanked 874 Times in 791 Posts
Likes: 2,267
Liked 4,075 Times in 1,502 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

With the EM1.2 firmware update to allow AF to -6EV, to match the X, the tele should pose no issues.
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
DavidB (19th June 2019), drmarkf (19th June 2019), Tordan58 (20th June 2019)
  #63  
Old 20th June 2019
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,647
Thanks: 360
Thanked 508 Times in 422 Posts
Likes: 2,219
Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
With the EM1.2 firmware update to allow AF to -6EV, to match the X, the tele should pose no issues.
In decent light I'm sure it'll be excellent on all 3 lenses (300, 40-150, 150-400), and the only usability question will be how much the AF capabilities do get compromised at the beginning and end of the day in real-life shooting situations. That is inevitable to some degree, and it'll have most impact on the f4.5 and 4.0 optics.

It's really good to hear that the Mii's low-light focusing has been improved, and that will be useful to me across the board, with and without 1.4 and 2.0 t/cs, and including my street photography.

However, all of this remains to be confirmed by the more independent (but still Oly expert) reviewers...
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 20th June 2019
timboo timboo is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 951
Thanks: 86
Thanked 84 Times in 69 Posts
Likes: 82
Liked 148 Times in 90 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

I’m going to place a pre order with SRS as they have it listed. I will use with my 40-150. Looking forward to giving my existing lens a new dimension.

Order placed if anyone is in cambridgeshire and wants to try it once it arrives let me know would love to see it on the 300
__________________
EM-1 MK1 - No website containing any of my photos until I'm good enough!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
DavidB (20th June 2019)
  #65  
Old 20th June 2019
Wildwood Wildwood is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: dfdsfsdf
Posts: 151
Thanks: 0
Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts
Likes: 66
Liked 68 Times in 43 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

Low light focusing with telephoto lenses and teleconverters isn't really an issue. You'll struggle to get a high enough shutter speed to freeze subject movement long before you hit the camera's low light focusing limit IME.
__________________
Best wishes

Wildwood
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 20th June 2019
DavidB DavidB is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Bucks.
Posts: 273
Thanks: 33
Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts
Likes: 57
Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

Seen 3 different dates for when it's supposed to be available - 28th June, 1st July & 'early' July.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 20th June 2019
Tordan58's Avatar
Tordan58 Tordan58 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,353
Thanks: 304
Thanked 417 Times in 344 Posts
Likes: 416
Liked 1,499 Times in 375 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
In decent light I'm sure it'll be excellent on all 3 lenses (300, 40-150, 150-400), and the only usability question will be how much the AF capabilities do get compromised at the beginning and end of the day in real-life shooting situations. That is inevitable to some degree, and it'll have most impact on the f4.5 and 4.0 optics.

It's really good to hear that the Mii's low-light focusing has been improved, and that will be useful to me across the board, with and without 1.4 and 2.0 t/cs, and including my street photography.

However, all of this remains to be confirmed by the more independent (but still Oly expert) reviewers...
Hi,

I have written this before, and can confirm that the EM1 (Mark 1 and Mark 2) AF works at F/8 (Canon 400/5.6 with 1.4 extender, adapted with metabones). I cannot confirm this is still true using slower optics since I don't have such lens/TC combinations, but I would guess it works fine at F/9. If I get to borrow a 2.0 extender I will test and see what happens at F/11.

Someone that has two MC-14 may want to stack them on the 300 F/4 and test. Not use what would happen if you stack more than two...
__________________

My Gallery on 500px
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 20th June 2019
Walti Walti is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: !
Posts: 3,557
Thanks: 334
Thanked 239 Times in 205 Posts
Likes: 269
Liked 1,804 Times in 669 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
Hi,

I have written this before, and can confirm that the EM1 (Mark 1 and Mark 2) AF works at F/8 (Canon 400/5.6 with 1.4 extender, adapted with metabones). I cannot confirm this is still true using slower optics since I don't have such lens/TC combinations, but I would guess it works fine at F/9. If I get to borrow a 2.0 extender I will test and see what happens at F/11.

Someone that has two MC-14 may want to stack them on the 300 F/4 and test. Not use what would happen if you stack more than two...
The MC converters won’t stack due to the protruding front element.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 20th June 2019
DavidB DavidB is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Bucks.
Posts: 273
Thanks: 33
Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts
Likes: 57
Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

A m4/3 teleconverter can also be used with legacy glass as the protusion projects into the MF-2 adapter. I tried that with a 500mm Tamron mirror telephoto lens, obviously with no auto focus (but some like it that way?) or auto exposure.

Anybody tried an MC-14 on a m4/3 body + an MMF-3 adapter + a 4/3 lens?


Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
I’m going to place a pre order with SRS as they have it listed. I will use with my 40-150. Looking forward to giving my existing lens a new dimension.

Order placed if anyone is in cambridgeshire and wants to try it once it arrives let me know would love to see it on the 300

I intend getting one early July (unless there's bad reviews), and if anybody wants to meet up mid/north Bucks and Oxon borders to check it out somewhere like a RSPB, BBOWT or BC reserve, I'd be happy to bring it along, together with my 40-150m f2.8 and 300mm f4 (plus MC-14).

With a bit of luck I'll have it for my 3/4th July trip to Exmoor/Durlston/Arne photography and fishing trip.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 20th June 2019
Walti Walti is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: !
Posts: 3,557
Thanks: 334
Thanked 239 Times in 205 Posts
Likes: 269
Liked 1,804 Times in 669 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
A m4/3 teleconverter can also be used with legacy glass as the protusion projects into the MF-2 adapter. I tried that with a 500mm Tamron mirror telephoto lens, obviously with no auto focus (but some like it that way?) or auto exposure.

Anybody tried an MC-14 on a m4/3 body + an MMF-3 adapter + a 4/3 lens?





I intend getting one early July (unless there's bad reviews), and if anybody wants to meet up mid/north Bucks to check it out somewhere like a RSPB or BBOWT reserve, I'd be happy to bring it along, together with my 40-150m f2.8 and 300mm f4.
Can't think of a reason it wouldn't work.... I put mine behind some extension tubes and the 60mm Macro lens - which worked surprisingly well!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Walti For This Useful Post:
DavidB (20th June 2019)
  #71  
Old 20th June 2019
Wildwood Wildwood is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: dfdsfsdf
Posts: 151
Thanks: 0
Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts
Likes: 66
Liked 68 Times in 43 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
Anybody tried an MC-14 on a m4/3 body + an MMF-3 adapter + a 4/3 lens?

I tried but for some reason the MMF-3 wouldn't fit onto the MC-14. I've got an EC-14 and an EC-20 anyway so it was merely an academic exercise.
__________________
Best wishes

Wildwood
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 20th June 2019
Walti Walti is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: !
Posts: 3,557
Thanks: 334
Thanked 239 Times in 205 Posts
Likes: 269
Liked 1,804 Times in 669 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
I tried but for some reason the MMF-3 wouldn't fit onto the MC-14. I've got an EC-14 and an EC-20 anyway so it was merely an academic exercise.
OF COURSE! D'Oh - it's got an extra little tab and contacts that the MMF won't accept - the extension rings don't have such issues!

Edit: I'd forgotten that fact!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 20th June 2019
timboo timboo is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 951
Thanks: 86
Thanked 84 Times in 69 Posts
Likes: 82
Liked 148 Times in 90 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
Seen 3 different dates for when it's supposed to be available - 28th June, 1st July & 'early' July.
The first I will hear is when it comes through the letter box, take that back when I receive a missed parcel note :-)
__________________
EM-1 MK1 - No website containing any of my photos until I'm good enough!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 20th June 2019
Beagletorque's Avatar
Beagletorque Beagletorque is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Extreme South Midlands, England
Posts: 7,253
Thanks: 1,239
Thanked 874 Times in 791 Posts
Likes: 2,267
Liked 4,075 Times in 1,502 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

On the global news site 28th of June is the release date.

https://www.olympus-global.com/news/2019/nr01268.html
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 20th June 2019
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,647
Thanks: 360
Thanked 508 Times in 422 Posts
Likes: 2,219
Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

Some early results from an Oly Visionary wildlife photographer:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62804272

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62798644
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
BDennis (22nd June 2019), Beagletorque (21st June 2019), Ross the fiddler (21st June 2019)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PEN E-PL9 Announced Invicta Camera conference 16 12th February 2018 10:28 AM
40-150 F2.8 announced. Miketoll Telephoto 21 6th October 2014 08:53 PM
Aperture 3 just announced DerekW Software 11 10th February 2010 02:13 PM
Olympus E-600 announced Shaw Camera conference 13 2nd September 2009 05:51 AM
New Olympus E-620 announced CaptainD Announcements 1 24th February 2009 08:15 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:49 AM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger