Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Motion pictures - video and animation > Movie mode - technical discussions

Movie mode - technical discussions Still imaging is complicated enough but for most of us video and movie making is a whole new world to get to grips with - here is the place to request help and advice and to post it too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th March 2017

Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
basic video help needed on EM1 Mk II

Let me start by saying I haven't much of a clue when it comes to video. I am almost entirely a stills photographer but very occasionally want to take a few short video clips of my grandsons. Up until December I had a Panasonic GH4 and when I wanted to take video, I switched the camera to iAuto and pressed record to shoot my clip. The files were full HD and in .MTS format, which played back nicely on my Panasonic TV.

In December I bought an EM1 MkII and last weekend I tried taking a few video clips for the first time. They play OK on my PC (though looked a bit over-exposed) but if I try to stream them to my TV, they are very jerky and don't play correctly - it appears that the TV doesn't support .MOV format. The only other format that appears to be available on the camera is for the 1280 HD, which saves as an .AVI. Though that will play, it isn't great resolution. I'm not particularly bothered about 4K but would like the clips to be full HD.

Any advice on how to set things up, for ease of (very occasional) use to get the best results, without having to delve too far into the intricacies of video? Is there a free/easy/safe converter that I can use to convert .MOV files to .MTS?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.