Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 19th March 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts
One Down, Two To Go (Political)

Well, I couldn’t let an opportunity like this pass without comment, could I?

The news of Ian Duncan Smith’s resignation dramatically broke yesterday evening whilst my favourite political satire show, “The Last Leg,” was live on air – and at the very moment they were discussing the latest round of almost laughable, were they not so tragic, cuts in benefits to the disabled, which were outlined in Osborne’s recent Budget.

I’ve criticised IDS enough in the past, and goodness knows he deserved it, but credit to him for finally standing up to Osborne’s tyrannical misuse of public finances for ideological, rather than economic, reasons. I think the man at least deserves respect for this, even though it has been cynically suggested in some quarters that the real agenda for his resignation is Brexit rather than benefits.

Whatever the undercurrents, this dramatic move surely rips apart any remaining credibility for the Government’s economic policies and the question now is surely not if, but when, Osborne and Cameron should resign too, without the honour and dignity of IDS.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (20th March 2016), Jim Ford (19th March 2016), yorky (22nd March 2016)
Old 19th March 2016

Thanked 1,156 Times in 1,031 Posts
Liked 1,236 Times in 805 Posts
Re: One Down, Two To Go (Political)

Me; I would vote for a Chimp as long as it's name wasn't David. But on thinking we cannot vote for those strange parties anyway.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 19th March 2016
Administrator

There is something we as individuals can do, if we care enough about this issue. A coalition of charities, including the MS Society and Parkinson's UK, is encouraging people to email their MP using a simple form, requesting the Speaker to call an emergency debate in the Commons so that the proposed benefit cuts can be fully discussed. Here's the link:-

http://e-activist.com/ea-action/acti...paign.id=49090

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (19th March 2016)
Old 19th March 2016

Thanked 1,140 Times in 714 Posts
Liked 1,481 Times in 740 Posts

With all these 'cutbacks' taking place I am confused. Confused that we are, in some ways, reducing financial assistance to those in need, yet still plough £millions into the same overseas black holes that have been receiving financial aid for decades. What makes it even more confusing, is that to be able to do so, we continue to 'borrow £billions' whilst penalising those at home? As for 'charitable donations' I take exception to my/our - taxpayers monies - being donated elsewhere by government whilst charities at home struggle to assist those in need because we apparently can't afford it.

If I may use a quote from another thread… you know who you are? "Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the blind obedience of the foolish"

If proof be needed that we have fools running some departments this article, which contains the high-lighted passage, says it all. Hello Mum

The passage in question - > At a cost of £12,000, a system like the Eye Gaze is a significant investment. Those who can prove their cognitive ability can apply for NHS funding, but for those like James who are unable to complete a test because there is no recognised method of "proving his potential, the computer must be self-funded.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (19th March 2016)
Old 19th March 2016

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts

I think its a ply so he can go for the leadership & he wanted to look good
Old 19th March 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
With all these 'cutbacks' taking place I am confused. Confused that we are, in some ways, reducing financial assistance to those in need, yet still plough £millions into the same overseas black holes that have been receiving financial aid for decades. What makes it even more confusing, is that to be able to do so, we continue to 'borrow £billions' whilst penalising those at home? As for 'charitable donations' I take exception to my/our - taxpayers monies - being donated elsewhere by government whilst charities at home struggle to assist those in need because we apparently can't afford it.

If I may use a quote from another thread… you know who you are? "Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the blind obedience of the foolish"

If proof be needed that we have fools running some departments this article, which contains the high-lighted passage, says it all. Hello Mum

The passage in question - > At a cost of £12,000, a system like the Eye Gaze is a significant investment. Those who can prove their cognitive ability can apply for NHS funding, but for those like James who are unable to complete a test because there is no recognised method of "proving his potential, the computer must be self-funded.
So James needs this system to prove his ability, but has to prove his ability before he can have the system. This story has a happy ending because a family friend raised the money, but it is still a ridiculous situation.

Old 19th March 2016

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Hartland View Post
I think its a ply so he can go for the leadership & he wanted to look good
`

Yes.

I have "previous" with IDS. We were once both employed by the same company in related positions (purposely didn't say worked for as only one of us did any real work) and he was widely considered a sick joke. He is however a very astute social climber (married into the aristocracy) and self promoter. Of course he has previously been party leader but didn't last long and I suspect he has calculated that as "a week is a long time in politics" and memories are short he might get away with it again.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 19th March 2016

Thanked 1,140 Times in 714 Posts
Liked 1,481 Times in 740 Posts

I too think it is a ploy and, it would appear 'we are not alone' in our suspicions. There was a mention on the BBC website hinting strongly on a hidden agenda.

With ongoing 'misdemeanour’s still hitting the news is it any wonder we distrust them?

MP... suspended by the labour party in December after he admitted sending lewd texts to a 17-year-old girl.

MP... interviewed by police earlier in January in connection with a rape allegation dating from 2006. Police confirmed on Friday their investigation is continuing.

MP... on Friday, ordered to repay thousands of pounds after admitting an expenses claims "error".

Not bad going for the same MP who still holds a position. His latest excuse... the rules are a bit hazy.

Is it any wonder we have a distrust where politicians are involved. A catch 22 of their own making

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 19th March 2016

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
What makes it even more confusing, is that to be able to do so, we continue to 'borrow £billions' whilst penalising those at home?
To be fair they don't penalise everybody at home - I have not noticed their cronies and the rich being penalised, only the most vulnerable and needy in siciety.

Resigning is the first and only thing IDS has done that I have ever agreed with but even so it is hard to accept at face value, I just don't trust the man.
Old 19th March 2016

Liked 3,380 Times in 1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
Resigning is the first and only thing IDS has done that I have ever agreed with but even so it is hard to accept at face value, I just don't trust the man.
The small print probably says that it is subject to review by his team.

Harold
Old 19th March 2016

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

It's good to see that the torys remain their despicable selves - IDS' replacement also voted to take money from disabled people. How this government thinks it has any credibility is beyond me!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (20th March 2016)
Old 20th March 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
It's good to see that the torys remain their despicable selves - IDS' replacement also voted to take money from disabled people. How this government thinks it has any credibility is beyond me!
Oh, come on - they did get the votes of nearly 25% of the electorate at the General Election!

The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (20th March 2016)
Old 20th March 2016
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Oh, come on - they did get the votes of nearly 25% of the electorate at the General Election!
Our very broken electoral system John. The actual numbers make for very depressing reading as they prove how unrepresentative the current parliament is as a result of first past the post. Loads of sites on the web which give these after a simple search

The headline numbers are that the Conservatives got 36.9% of the actual vote which is 0.8% more than last time yet got 24 new seats to have 50.9% of the seats in Westminster.

Labour got 30.4% of the vote which is 1.4% more than last time yet lost 26 seats leaving them with 35.7% of the vote.

Similarly skewed results for all the other parties with some huge anomalies in terms of vote percentage and seats.

All very wrong and contributing to this woeful and staggeringly unfair government who may ruin our links with Europe in an attempt to resolve their own internal party infighting.

Hec
Magus (20th March 2016)
Old 20th March 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Our very broken electoral system John. The actual numbers make for very depressing reading as they prove how unrepresentative the current parliament is as a result of first past the post. Loads of sites on the web which give these after a simple search

The headline numbers are that the Conservatives got 36.9% of the actual vote which is 0.8% more than last time yet got 24 new seats to have 50.9% of the seats in Westminster.

Labour got 30.4% of the vote which is 1.4% more than last time yet lost 26 seats leaving them with 35.7% of the vote.

Similarly skewed results for all the other parties with some huge anomalies in terms of vote percentage and seats.

All very wrong and contributing to this woeful and staggeringly unfair government who may ruin our links with Europe in an attempt to resolve their own internal party infighting.

Hec
And we like to call ourselves a democracy - it makes me smile when I hear government ministers complaining that trade union ballots are unfair.

Old 20th March 2016

Liked 154 Times in 67 Posts

UK system of first past the post and voluntary voting means in theory 33% of the vote can produce 100% of the seats. This is not democracy.

In Oz we whinge about it but with compulsory voting and a preferential system we see about 95% of the electorate voting and the results generally (but with some local aberrations) reflect the communities wishes.

On top of that our upper house (the Senate) is a slightly modified proportional representative system. OK we have been debating some of the detail this week but not hereditary or appointed.

We have (like the US) a written constitution. In other words a modern liberal democracy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barkly For This Useful Post:
Grumpy Hec (20th March 2016), Zuiko (20th March 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (20th March 2016), Zuiko (20th March 2016)