Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3rd May 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Life after Olympus

Well it's been a little while now since I sold my E510 and the rest of the gear and got a Canon 60d.

I thought I'd share a few of my findings with you all....

Overall, it's a camera - it takes pictures.

Its a newer camera so it has, and does things better than the Oly. I really can't deny that. It handles higher ISO far better than the E510 ever did.

It has NOT made me a better photographer!! (I didn't for one second think it would, but some people are under this impression!)

I've gone into my reasons for changing elsewhere, and don't intend to go into that again, however I wanted to give dome feedback 'from the other side'!!...

There are more lenses available for the Canon, which are better priced compared to 4/3rds format - fact. And I really don't think that can be argued against.

My E510 produced far far superior jpeg results out of camera - I didn't have to PP each image before, but am finding with the Canon they need some sort of tweaking out of camera (I shoot raw and jpeg)

The Oly produced nicer colours.....the canon doesn't seem to capture that lovely deep blue sky we've been getting recently.

Do I regret changing?

No, I took a long time coming to this decision - but if Oly were clearer regarding the future of their DSLR's it may have changed my mind.

It's swings and roundabouts really - one thing I really REALLY miss is this web site. The people are so friendly and easy going. I've found another forum but a lot of threads seem to end in arguments!!

Regards

Neil
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roadkill_6mm For This Useful Post:
StephenL (4th May 2011), Wee man (4th May 2011)
Old 3rd May 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts
Re: Life after Olympus

Thanks Neil, I'm always interested to hear how people get on with other cameras. It seems the Canon is doing fine and you are pleased with it, which is what counts.

You say you miss the forum, well you're welcome to drop in for a chat at any time. So, you've got a Canon, jokes apart we won't hold that against you and it's quite legitimate that you may want to keep up to date with what's happening in Olympus Land. Also, many threads are general photography or chit-chat and not Olympus specific, so no reason why you shouldn't join in.

Keep in touch, and best wishes.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 3rd May 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Thanks Neil, I'm always interested to hear how people get on with other cameras. It seems the Canon is doing fine and you are pleased with it, which is what counts.

You say you miss the forum, well you're welcome to drop in for a chat at any time. So, you've got a Canon, jokes apart we won't hold that against you and it's quite legitimate that you may want to keep up to date with what's happening in Olympus Land. Also, many threads are general photography or chit-chat and not Olympus specific, so no reason why you shouldn't join in.

Keep in touch, and best wishes.
I echo Johns sentiments and comments, it's also nice to know that you are happy with your move to Canon.

All cameras are a compromise, and different compromises suit the likes of different folk. And it would be difficult (impossible?) to find a digital SLR released in the last 2-3 years that was not capable of giving good results.

All the best

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 4th May 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am new to this site - and wished I had found it sooner.

There is still life with Oly - I am a testament to that. I have "re-discovered" my Oly E400 and am bringing it with me on holidays in a few weeks. I have a Canon 5D Mark II but I consider it my "pro" camera or workhorse whereas Oly is my fun camera and it can deliver great shots when handled with care.

I for one would benefit from your wisdom and tips in using an Oly so don't stray too far Neil and who knows you might pick up an Oly again sometime in the future and wonder what all the fuss was about with Canon
The Following User Says Thank You to Lean66 For This Useful Post:
cinders (4th May 2011)
Old 4th May 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Thanks for sharing your findings. Illuminating!

I too have gone over to "t'other side". Apart from my E-1, I'm Panasonic m4/3, with a GH2 and a GF1. And I like them. But I still use the odd Olympus lens on the m4/3. I do believe that there's really no such thing these days as a truly bad camera, only bad photographers (like me!).

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site