Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 17th March 2011

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Liked 2,224 Times in 1,175 Posts
Re: I've just had some wonderful news!

Apart from emails from Africa & other odd places claiming someone has left me money or other investment scams, I think our Yellow Pages (operated by Sensis in Australia) is a scam of a business. They ring you to renew the next years contract with a voice recording of the agreement (of me agreeing to it) & then when details & bills come out, there is only the general phone system (with all the typical menu selections & a waiting cue) to contact them for which the operators can do nothing except answer standard questions, apart from an obscure postal address & it's almost impossible to get anything changed once they have that "yes" out of you. I eventually (after a month of trying) got onto the replacement supervisor (from the original one that left) that fixed things for me. I think next next year, I ain't paying for their expensive listing but to take the free one line entry instead.

That's my gripe for today.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 17th March 2011

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts

Doh! Is this all a scam? I've given up an evening down the pub, waiting by the phone, and still no eight hundred quid.

Is there no justice in this world?

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 17th March 2011

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
We had a spate of invoices for that sort of thing when I worked for a bank. Unfortunately, some branches paid them without checking the validity!

There seems to be no bounds to the enterprise, creativity and imagination of the fraudsters. If only they would put their talents to good use!
Do any of you old'uns (not you John) remember the carbon paper scam (when people used typewriters — remember those days?) when a hundred or more boxes of the stuff were delivered to a company together with an invoice with the name of an employee (which was obtained quite easily over the telephone) who had supposedly ordered the stuff. I remember the police being involved in this one as it was fairly common for a period.

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
GEORGE ORWELL

Last edited by BobS; 17th March 2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Missed a bit!!
Old 17th March 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_E View Post
It's a percentage game.

I do sometimes wonder about the economics of these things with the cost of employing people these days, plus telephone calls, plus office space and IT. Surely one would need a small business loan to set this kind of operation up but how do you explain your business model to the bank?

Nick
The majority of these calls originate from Third World countries where staff are plentiful, cheap and don't ask too many questions about the ethics.

Cold calling UK companies often have a genuine product but hard sell and attempt to deceive by disguising who they actually are. For instance at about 7pm yesterday I had a call from a "Government Energy Saving Advisor" who told me my property had come up on their list as being due for a loft and cavity wall insulation grant. Strange, I thought, for a civil servant to be phoning a member of the public directly, and at that time in the evening!

Of course what she really meant was that she was telesales staff for a private company that wanted to trick me into believing I was dealing direct with a government department. The list that my property had "come up on" was in fact the standard BT telephone directory, in which we are listed under my wife's maiden name - the name by which she addressed me.

I assured her the loft insulation was about 4 foot deep (all the clutter we have up there) and pointed out that our walls don't have any cavities.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 17th March 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post

Is there no justice in this world?

Pete
No, I'm afraid not

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I assured her the loft insulation was about 4 foot deep (all the clutter we have up there) .....
Sounds a bit like ours!

I simply love stringing these people on, if I can. It's such a pity they don't seem to appreciate the joke though, when they realise they've been had, because they simply hang up without even bothering to say, "Goodbye"!
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

On one occasion a double glazing salesman got a little frustrated when he pressured me in to saying that I lived in a tent.

Another alledged response to a pushy conservatory salesman was to allow him to visit the address to give a quote only to find that the property was in a block of flats and not on the ground floor.
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 2,518 Times in 1,650 Posts

Quote:
We had a spate of invoices for that sort of thing when I worked for a bank. Unfortunately, some branches paid them without checking the validity!

There seems to be no bounds to the enterprise, creativity and imagination of the fraudsters. If only they would put their talents to good use!
I can make a few suggestions. Lawyers; politicians; or bankers perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_E View Post
It's a percentage game.

I do sometimes wonder about the economics of these things with the cost of employing people these days, plus telephone calls, plus office space and IT. Surely one would need a small business loan to set this kind of operation up but how do you explain your business model to the bank?

Nick
Well, when it comes to business ethics, I don't think the banks are in a position to judge right now, and if the bankers thought they could make money they would have no hesitation in providing an account. It may even be that these people use foreign accounts where the banks ask fewer questions.

I know when we applied for a credit card machine (with Barclaycard) we had to provide all sorts of references, but presumably there are vendors who less choosy. I know of some retailers who get royally ripped off for their card machines, and receive appalling service in return, so perhaps anyone can have a card machine if they don't mind being ripped off?

The one common denominator that I have noticed is that most of the scam callers seem to have strong Mancunian accents.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 48 Times in 17 Posts

If these guys do really bug you , then you can register with the Telephone Preference Service (I think !), and they seem to be able to take your number off most of the lists.

I did this a number of years back after I had a spate of enquiries from Indian gentlemen asking to sell me a better mortgage....

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."
Old 18th March 2011
JackBenedict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinders View Post
If these guys do really bug you , then you can register with the Telephone Preference Service (I think !), and they seem to be able to take your number off most of the lists. ...
Well doing the same made no difference to the calls I received.
So now when they call I get them really excited that I am up for it .... then I stop them by saying 'Can you hang on a minute while I get a pen to write the details down' and that's where they stay - hanging on. By the time I have replaced the receiver they are well and truly gone. Never fails to work with me anyway.
Old 18th March 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinders View Post
If these guys do really bug you , then you can register with the Telephone Preference Service (I think !), and they seem to be able to take your number off most of the lists.

I did this a number of years back after I had a spate of enquiries from Indian gentlemen asking to sell me a better mortgage....
We are registered but this only stops genuine companies from cold calling, the unscrupulous just use the normal telephone directory as their "list" hence the reason I'm always addressed by my wife's maiden name. You can't report them because they always withold their number and seldom give you a name.