Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-420

Old 14th March 2011
Wilberforce

Novice requires some (basic) advice

Hi,

I have an E-420 and recently added an FL-36 (not R) flash to, hopefully, get some good indoor photographs. Now I realise my questions may seem simple, basic even stupid but that is because I have disguised myself as a complete idiot - not difficult.

I have been very impressed with the pictures I have been taking with the 420. Outdoors they are fine, better than I have ever taken with compact camera's. I have used the 'Scenic' settings but mainly have just left it on Auto. This seems fine (for me) outdoors but indoors whether family pictures, or dare I say pictures of stuff to sell on ebay, the built in flash has always come up wanting. Pictures look fine in the camera viewer but when downloaded to the PC they are very dark.

Thinking this was the camera flash I bought the FL-36 and still on Auto took a fair few snaps of the grandkids and the old.... the wife. Pictures baring one or two slips by me are good, even on the pc but again close up photos taken from about three feet from the subject are still very dark.

So question 1. What is the best setting to use for the flash indoors. Should it be Aperture or something else and am I right in thinking the fl-36 will automatically adjust itself.

Question 2. What is the secret to taking close up photos with flash? I have the 40-150 lens should I use this from a distance or is there a setting I should use for the 14-42 lens.

Question 3. This one is me jumping right out of my comfort zone. In my garden I have an arch and at this time of year it get the sunshining through and I would like to take a picture with a person standing in the arch with the sun behind them (back-lit I think this is called) but want to use the flash to light the subject to get detail (i.e. their face). Tried it this weekend and ended up with a ghost ! A total washed out white face with camera set to Auto and using the fl-36 flash. Any ideas ?

Question 4. Do any of you know of a website that does a tutorial or whether there are any photography training courses (on-line or attending in the UK)? I know I have a lot to learn and I want to learn.

Your help would be very appreciated.

Andy aka Wilberforce
Old 14th March 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Novice requires some (basic) advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilberforce View Post
Question 4. Do any of you know of a website that does a tutorial or whether there are any photography training courses (on-line or attending in the UK)? I know I have a lot to learn and I want to learn
I believe Strobist is a good resource, there's a "Lighting 101" that might help get you started.
Old 14th March 2011

Liked 195 Times in 130 Posts
Re: Novice requires some (basic) advice

English Bob has posted a very useful summary over on FourThirdsPhoto
Well worth a read.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!