Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 3rd May 2016
Ivor

Image stabilisation on E-5

Hi,

I remember reading years ago the importance of turning off IS on my old E-510 if using a tripod. This is a practice I have tried to follow with my E-5 but often forget! Saying that, when I have forgotten, I haven't noticed a difference. I have My Set 4 set up for long exposures and it is turned off for that.

Reading around the subject there are suggestions that it is unnecessary with the newer m4/3 cameras. Has anyone else had experience with the E-5 and noticed any difference between I.S. on or off for tripod work?

Leading on from this, I wonder whether I would be better off turning it off at shutter speeds>1/1000 sec (between 200-300mm) when shooting birds in flight. Does IS with a panning action cause softness? My experimenting seems to suggest it might, even when set to IS2 which has the horizontal stabiliser turned off.

Reading this thread
I am wondering whether the IS might be contributing to the softness seen in the images of birds in flight, with the IS fighting against the deliberate movement of the camera.

Using traditional wisdom about minimum shutter speeds, if I am shooting 300 mm on 4/3 I need a minimum of 1/600 second to hand-hold. Shooting birds I try to achieve 1/1000 or faster, so I wonder if I.S. is necessary.

Thanks

Ivor
Old 3rd May 2016

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts
Re: Image stabilisation on E-5

I must admit that on the E5 my IS is set to off most of the time, only going on when I feel I need it. Nothing better than trying to get a high shutter speed.
Not being a great user of tripods I can't comment.

With the OM-D's it's a different matter and I tend to set IS on and forget about it.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to andym For This Useful Post:
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ivor (3rd May 2016)
Old 3rd May 2016
Ivor

Thank-you Andy. I am off to the Farnes this week to photography puffins. I'll turn the IS off and the shutter speed up!
Old 3rd May 2016

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
I am off to the Farnes this week to photography puffins. I'll turn the IS off and the shutter speed up!
My pleasure, look forward to some pictures from the Farnes on your return. We shall be making our annual trip to the North-East in four weeks but no time for the Farne islands trip

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ivor (3rd May 2016)
Old 3rd May 2016
Ivor

That's a pity. In case you come up to Amble there is a great 1 hour boat trip around Coquet Island with Puffin Cruises . You see puffin, roseate tern, Arctic tern etc. and seals. You don't get as close to the puffin as you do on the Farnes but you'll get closer to the seals that swim right up to the boat. Really great value too but you have to pre-book.
Old 3rd May 2016
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,693 Times in 768 Posts

With all cameras that use motion sensors built in to the camera it's very wise to switch off image stabilisation when the camera is positioned securely. This us because it has been noticed that some camera motion linked to the operation of the shutter, although not endangering the sharpness of the exposure itself, may trigger the IS in an unpredictable manner, thus causing unintended motion blur.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Pierre L (3rd May 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ivor (3rd May 2016), Pierre L (3rd May 2016)
Old 3rd May 2016
Ivor

Thanks Ian. I wondered about the reason why. I learn something every day!

Tags
birds, birds in flight, e-5, image stabilisation