Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 7th March 2014

Liked 1,353 Times in 354 Posts
Card Error

Back home from a trip to Sri Lanka (I intend to share pictures later) I would like to share a recent experience with a happy ending.

On this morning I had started to fill a Sandisk 16GB Ultra class 10 CF card with irreplaceable shots, some of them I was really pleased with while reviewing them in the LCD. I turned off the camera after reviewing the latest photos taken. A few minutes later a new interesting subject materialized. Now the camera repeatedly reported a not so informative "Card Error" message as response to power on. Subject gone. Swapped camera with my travel mate, same error reported on E620 camera. Swapped cards, E5 camera worked as it should with any other CF card so obviously something had happened to the card

The CF card was quite new, less than 5000 pictures, and to the best of my knowledge had not been mishandled/exposed to heat/cold/humidity... at any point in time.

Now the good news: I managed to recover from this issue by doing the following: Inserted the card in a Epson P5000 media player. (I bring this device while on travel to be able to make backups of my precious photos, and also to be able to view photos on a larger display) No error code reported, so far so good. So I started a backup of the card. After a very long time (more than an hour) the device reported "backup could not be completed, cancelling". However, when instead browsing the memory card, I was able to see the photos as thumbnails, each photo appeared duplicated into many instances in the thumbnail gallery. With some tricky operation of the device user interface and quite some patience I managed to save the pictures by performing backups, each containing one picture. Took a while...

The P5000 runs a Linux system and I am inclined to think that its file management system is more fault tolerant than the one in the camera.

Does anyone know of a SW that could produce a useful a memory card diagnostics?

Also, who do you think is to blame? The memory card, or the camera for doing some improper card access and damaging the file system, either on power off or on?

Has anyone else experienced "card error" on E5?

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px
Old 7th March 2014

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts
Re: Card Error

Yes had a card error message on my E5 used a recovery program that came with the disk. About a month later the camera would not eject the CF cards so it went on its holiday to Olympus. The two things may have been connected?
I have just purchased ScanDisk Extreme Pro Class 10 95mbscards and they came with a free download of a program rescue pro for a one year free download have not downloaded yet.

Glad you got your shots back.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 27th September 2014

Liked 71 Times in 25 Posts

I had very often this error on my E-5 and CF card. After I get this error, I cannot make new photos or preview the existing photos on E-5.
But if I connect the card to a computer, I have acces to all pictures. I also noticed a sort of temp file with strange name, reported with a big size like 4Gb.
After formating the card, I can use it again.

I learn to have in the camera a second SD card wich I can use it if it happens to have a problem with CF card.

With SD card it happens only once in 3 years to have a card error, so it is more stable.

Why this happens ?
I think but not sure, that this is because of third party batteries.
Camere is not accurate when reporting voltage level.
So you think battery has enough power but it is empty.
If is empty, the wrinting on CF fails.
I am not 100% sure that this corect, maybe other people can confirm.
Old 27th September 2014

Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts

You can check out your CF and SD cards with this small program. If it's faulty there's not much you can do but at least you'll know.

http://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=page&id=13
Old 27th September 2014

Liked 71 Times in 25 Posts

Thanks, I will check it with this program.