Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 4th October 2015

Liked 713 Times in 479 Posts
Unexpected option change in firmware 3.1

I upgraded firmware to 3.1 last month, and tripped over a change to a default option. The upgrade to 3.1 wipes all your settings, after many experiences of this I have them all written down and re-applied them. I shot a couple of rugby matches and some other "normal" stuff and all was fine.

I got caught out on Friday night when shooting some live music. Generally I go pretty much by eye on the viewfinder display to get the initial exposure, using the histogram as a check if the lighting looks tricky. I set the normal starting point (ISO 1600, 1/60, f/2) and shot a few frames. Then checked and they were too dark.

It seems that when you go to 3.1 the "Live View Boost" option (under Cogs -> D) now defaults to "On1". I'm pretty sure it used to default to "Off" (and my printed manual agrees). I think this has come about because according to the blurb, 3.1 adds the "Live View Boost 2" option, it looks as though this is for low light. I'm all for adding new options via firmware where possible - but I think diametrically changing the default from Off to On is a bit naughty, specially without warning us. So now there is yet another addition to the list of changes.

John
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
ayewing (5th October 2015), drmarkf (4th October 2015), Melaka (5th October 2015), pault (4th October 2015), Turek (7th October 2015)