Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 31st October 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When do you stop buying new camera models?

I was happy with my E-1, after having various other 43 E-System cameras, then the XZ-1 came along and that effectively made the E-1 obsolete for me, but I had to try the m43 system too and so an E-PL1 came and went, replaced by the E-PL2. Now at this point I was very happy, even when the rather too expensive OM-D came to be, as the E-PL2, VF-2, m14-150 and m45 lenses suited my requirements nicely, doing everything and more that my OM-2n from 30 years ago did.

Then, a month ago, I spotted a bargain used OM-D and decided it was too good an opportunity to miss and should I not take to it, I could sell it on.

Well now that it's here and in most departments eclipses the E-PL2, the OM-D seems to be another 'keeper', as is the XZ-1, as was the E-1. I'm getting very close to selling the E-PL2 too.

But what will happen next? I was very happy with the E-PL2, but have been foolish enough to try a better camera. I don't need the OM-D's resolution or features but the high ISO/low light capabilities have seduced me - I used to use the E-PL2's flash a lot but haven't had to use flash at all with the OM-D so far. I actually don't want to like the OM-D as it's continuing a habit which I need to kick. How do I break the cycle?

I fear I am a marketing man's ideal target customer. One who will carry on switching from camera to camera as Olympus 'churns' them out every three months or so. How can I get help for this addiction for the latest improvement? Why is it just cameras that get to me this way? My car is nine years old, my phone three, none of my target rifles are the most up-to-date. So what is it with me and cameras? The OM-D satisfies every photographic need I'm likely to have but naturally olympus have built in a few 'faults' that can only be fixed in the next model. Yes, I'm not stupid, I do know what they're up to but still I can't resist.

Is it a known medical condition, such as Olympusitis?

Have you managed to stop buying?

--------------------------
Old 31st October 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: When do you stop buying new camera models?

David, I went from E-1 to E-1 and I was everso happy with the E-1 But the extra IQ that E-5 captures from the same lenses is awesome

I was tempted by the OM-D but after ready a few indie reviews and that it did not have focus lock for BiF - I cancelled my order and am still with E-5

I do suffer Olympusitus I had an OM-1 and then OM-10 then a strange camera have to check the model but Olympus, It was L 10 or 20 or 30 (see below) then a Panasonic Video camera with high res photos (for the time ) and an OM-77 (bought in Singapore) then E-20P and then E-1 and E-5 (and also Ducati itus esp. red ones

But I can resist (the OM-D and Diaval) but maybe not the E-7

L 10,20,30
http://www.olympus-global.com/en/cor...pup/l_l10.html
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 31st October 2012

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

David,

easy. I've come to realise that as my current kit still provides me with pictures I'm pleased with there's no rational reason to change it.

When it breaks or I need to take that quintessential picture of a black cat in a coal cellar I might have to change it but until then.........

Actually, the irrational side of me would love a new toy but I can't bring myself to ante up the readies - too high a price to pay at the current levels.

Sid
Old 31st October 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is m43 to 43 as 16:9 TVs are to 4:3?

In other words was it just a way of selling us a completely new system?
With TVs we had mono 4:3, then stereo, then 16:9, then flat screen plasma, then HD, then LCD, then LED, and soon the new 'binoc' type?

New developments are partly due to breakthrough engineering and consumer demand but mostly it's due to the marketing men.

Knowing this to be the case, I still succumb.
Old 31st October 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of sid View Post
Actually, the irrational side of me would love a new toy but I can't bring myself to ante up the readies - too high a price to pay at the current levels.

Sid
That was exactly my thinking until I spotted the Freeads ad 13 minutes after it had been placed. It'll be a long time until I lose on the OM-D but it has still tied some money up.

For me the cycle goes: New model - too expensive; Too expensive - don't need it; Too expensive - looks quite good; Too expensive - want one; Want one - too expensive; Want one - Ooooh, that's cheap; Got one - do I need it; Got one - it's quite good; New model - too expensive....

Old 31st October 2012

TVs we succumbed to flat screen JVC 42" 10 years ago
and smaller Toshiba 28" for the playroom and bedrooms

But its needs driven - like Ducati and Olympus purchased

With the E-5 - I viewed some tre' magnifique' images from Steve in Wales and a few others here and just HAD TO HAVE an E-5 (first MUST HAVE Camera; and the Red 748 SPS Ducati was my first MUST HAVE DUC)

the ONE photo album
Old 31st October 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
...and the Red 748 SPS Ducati was my first MUST HAVE DUC)
Don't you need the 848 now?

Old 31st October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMC View Post
Don't you need the 848 now?

no ... Diaval in Dark

the ONE photo album
Old 1st November 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I've bought most Oly DSLRs since the E-510, plus the C2020, 3030, 2100, E-10, and a few Pens, plus the XZ-1, but with the E-M5 I think/hope I've reached a camera I am truly happy with.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 1st November 2012

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

Things can spiral out of control, I'm certainly one for that, probably why my "project" beetle still isn't done. I keep changing my mind, upgrading bits, buying other bits cause it seemed like a good idea.

I've found that for my budget the 410 and the 14-54 are good value for money and make a lot of sense until I'm ready to take the plunge into something more substantial. I would like IS and better ISO performance but then I like learning. Just like driving comign from no ABS or PAS to a car that has them now, I feel that I've learnt more
Old 1st November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

I've probably hit my limit with the E-M5, but for financial reasons more than anything else - i.e. I've got very little else I can sell, short of a kidney!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st November 2012

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

Got an E-1 in '05, sold it in '07 after getting an E-410. Added an E-3 in early '08 for the weather sealing and my tool kit was complete.

David M's Photoblog
Old 1st November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oooh.... sold the E-PL2 now. Have I done the right thing?

Old 1st November 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMC View Post

Oooh.... sold the E-PL2 now. Have I done the right thing?

Yes I think so.
I liked my E-PL2 too, lovely camera, mine is still in the family with my eldest daughter, she sold her Pentax D-SLR and lenses to move over to m4/3rds.
The E-PL2 was/is very nice (E-5 sensor etc), like a taster for m4/3rds but OM-D E-M5 is such a complete camera (at least for me).

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 1st November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Yes I think so.
I liked my E-PL2 too, lovely camera, mine is still in the family with my eldest daughter, she sold her Pentax D-SLR and lenses to move over to m4/3rds.
The E-PL2 was/is very nice (E-5 sensor etc), like a taster for m4/3rds but OM-D E-M5 is such a complete camera (at least for me).
Thanks for the reassurance Huw. My son too pinched my first E-PL2 and is loving it. I guess my fear is tying up an extra 700 more (resale value) in the OM-D body, lens, and grip over the now paltry 200 that the E-PL2 is worth, knowing that soon the OM-D will devalue off the side of a cliff when the next best model arrives. My livlihood doesn't depend on photogpaphy and my past Olympus models have peaked at 350 for a used E-3 from a member here (which soon went, as I preferred the E-1).

I did get the OM-D at great price but I guess I don't really think I'm worthy of a model with such potential. In my other hobby, target shooting, I waited until my skill eclipsed the 200 rifle I was using before upgrading to a 1000 one, and that will see me out as it's a world class piece of kit. Let's hope the OM-D fills the same shoes but at the moment it outclasses me with a baffling array of features I've yet to fully understand.

No doubt a large part of my 'fear' is I haven't had a proper use for the OM-D yet so I've yet to use it 'in anger' whereas my last E-PL2 outing at a family wedding resulted in 90% of the photos on the happy couple's web site being mine rather than those of the pro hired for the job. That made me fairly happy.

I'll see how I get on with the OM-D for the next few months. I can always pick up another E-PL2 if I have withdrawl symptons. Those of you who have had both, like Huw, will no doubt think this very unlikely!