Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Site news

Site news Updates concerning the operation of this site.

Old 4th July 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts
Dates for your Diary

I have in mind a couple of more dates for FTU/E-System Days Out.

Saturday 16th August

I have a few ideas, mainly based in London as it is relatively easy for everyone in this part of the World to get to.

1) A visit to one of the classic Victorian London Cemeteries. Highgate springs to mind as the most famous but Brompton looks less restictive with longer opening hours and park status. Apparently it is now quite a haven for wildlife and, of course, there are numerous old tombs and headstones just begging for B&W infra-red photography, perhaps with a bit of diffusion for an almost supernatural Gothic effect!

2) If the above is a little too macabre maybe we could head for one of the Capital's wide open spaces. Hampstead Heath, Richmond Park or Hyde Park spring to mind.

3) London Aquarium would provide an altogether different photo challenge. Low light levels, moving fish, long exposures and/or high ISO - could we and our cameras cope? Anyone up for it?

4) Rainham Marshes should provide a real sense of wilderness right on London's doorstep, with some real wildlife and nature photographic oppportunities.

5) Or, for something completely different, I could investigate the possibilities for photography at an evening floodlit greyhound race meeting at Romford Stadium.

Do any of the above ideas appeal? or do you have any other suggestions? Please let me know your thoughts.

Sunday 9th NovemberThe autumn colours should be ablaze by then in Epping Forest. Note this date in your diary, more details to follow.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th July 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Dates for your Diary

You can imagine how tempting Highgate is for me – I'm afraid I don't think I'm up to traveling yet – maybe next year.
Old 4th July 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I have in mind a couple of more dates for FTU/E-System Days Out.

Saturday 16th August

I have a few ideas, mainly based in London as it is relatively easy for everyone in this part of the World to get to.

1) A visit to one of the classic Victorian London Cemeteries. Highgate springs to mind as the most famous but Brompton looks less restictive with longer opening hours and park status. Apparently it is now quite a haven for wildlife and, of course, there are numerous old tombs and headstones just begging for B&W infra-red photography, perhaps with a bit of diffusion for an almost supernatural Gothic effect!

2) If the above is a little too macabre maybe we could head for one of the Capital's wide open spaces. Hampstead Heath, Richmond Park or Hyde Park spring to mind.

3) London Aquarium would provide an altogether different photo challenge. Low light levels, moving fish, long exposures and/or high ISO - could we and our cameras cope? Anyone up for it?

4) Rainham Marshes should provide a real sense of wilderness right on London's doorstep, with some real wildlife and nature photographic oppportunities.

5) Or, for something completely different, I could investigate the possibilities for photography at an evening floodlit greyhound race meeting at Romford Stadium.

Do any of the above ideas appeal? or do you have any other suggestions? Please let me know your thoughts.

Sunday 9th NovemberThe autumn colours should be ablaze by then in Epping Forest. Note this date in your diary, more details to follow.
For cemetries how about Kensal Green which is good and the and the added attraction of the Grand union canal next to it.

I have Epping forest in my diary,that time will also be good for fungus as well as colours.Just a couple of suggestions.Copped Hall estate has lots of good colours and a herd of Long horned cattle.Also from here you can walk up into the Warren where there are lots of Fallow dear and Mucjacs.
From there its easy to cross Epping New Rd to the Ambresbury banks which are an Iron age earth works.
Copped Hall is an 19 centuary house which a present is just a shell.I will find a picture to post later.

See link below for map.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...5500&ay=202500

You can make a circular walk around these of about 5 miles.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Last edited by andym; 4th July 2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Image added
Old 4th July 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Highgate or Kensal Green would be cool. I've been meaning to go to one or the other for years. I don't know Brompton, but any of the big Victorian necropolises would have loads of photo ops. People watching should also be fun!

Not desperately keen on parks myself, but I can see the attraction. One might need to alert the security nazis at Hyde Park to avoid getting hassled , but Hampstead or Richmond might be fun. Richmond is also near Kew Gardens of course.

Rainham Marshes would be fun, as would the London Wetlands Centre in Barnes. At the proposed time last year there seemed to be a lot around, especially waders and dragonflies, according to their website.

Or how about Regents Park Zoo? Haven't been there for about 15 years. I see Group Discounts are available if there's more than 10 people...

Having been to a number of dog races (dahn the "The Stow") I can see a lot of scope for that, especially for people shots.

Another thought that strikes me is the St Katherines Dock area. I was last there several years ago, but I remember it as an area with lots of opportunities for photography.
Old 4th July 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
Having been to a number of dog races (dahn the "The Stow") I can see a lot of scope for that, especially for people shots.
I saw on the London news the other week that "The Stow"has been sold and will be as usual used for housing.
I used to live just round the corner from it and have many memories trying to chat up girls at the nightclub(usually unsucessfully).
A shame really.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 4th July 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I'd be up for the Victorian Cemeteries, just a case of getting down to London village.

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.
Old 4th July 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
Highgate or Kensal Green would be cool. I've been meaning to go to one or the other for years. I don't know Brompton, but any of the big Victorian necropolises would have loads of photo ops. People watching should also be fun!

Not desperately keen on parks myself, but I can see the attraction. One might need to alert the security nazis at Hyde Park to avoid getting hassled , but Hampstead or Richmond might be fun. Richmond is also near Kew Gardens of course.

Rainham Marshes would be fun, as would the London Wetlands Centre in Barnes. At the proposed time last year there seemed to be a lot around, especially waders and dragonflies, according to their website.

Or how about Regents Park Zoo? Haven't been there for about 15 years. I see Group Discounts are available if there's more than 10 people...

Another thought that strikes me is the St Katherines Dock area. I was last there several years ago, but I remember it as an area with lots of opportunities for photography.
Some great uggestions, Hugh, particularly the Wetlands Centre. Only problem with the Zoo is we've already done Woburn and a change might do us good.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th July 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Some great uggestions, Hugh, particularly the Wetlands Centre. Only problem with the Zoo is we've already done Woburn and a change might do us good.
Good point - I'd forgotten that!
Old 9th July 2008

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Count me in, I am happy to go wherever the majority wants.
I had been thinking of going to the wetlands centre anyway, especially as I have just bought a 70-300, but the cemetary idea sounds good.... in fact as I said anywhere would be great.

Thanks for organising John.
Old 12th July 2008
Administrator

Andy has pointed out on FTU that the Wetlands Centre would be best between Feb and May when the bird's plumage is at its best, so maybe we'll save this one.

For now, Kensal Green Cemetery/Grand Union Canal seems to be getting the nod.

Any other takers?

Old 12th July 2008

Liked 833 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Andy has pointed out on FTU that the Wetlands Centre would be best between Feb and May when the bird's plumage is at its best, so maybe we'll save this one.

For now, Kensal Green Cemetery/Grand Union Canal seems to be getting the nod.

Any other takers?
We are interested John subject to the date - Is it still the 16th August?

Regards. Barr1e
Old 12th July 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
We are interested John subject to the date - Is it still the 16th August?

Regards. Barr1e
Hi Barrie,

Yes, it is still 16th August - it'll be great to see you both again if you can make it.

Old 12th July 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Unhappy Re: Dates for your Diary

What a week, I've had...

Tax bills, Parking Tickets, Dead E-3, now I've been told I have to drive to Norfolk with the two 82 year old inlaws

So I can't now make this date.

I'll be thinking of you all having fun and enjoying the photo opportunities

Regards to all

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 12th July 2008

Liked 833 Times in 279 Posts

John -

We will be there.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 12th July 2008
Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Dates for your Diary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
John -

We will be there.

Regards. Barr1e
That's great news!