Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 10th May 2019

Liked 3,664 Times in 1,693 Posts
Re: Climate Change - can you belive this?

We all like to throw stones at those who stick their heads above the parapet....

I agree that not all of the American institutions are fantastic, certainly not at this moment. At this time there is an aberration in their politics, bit like our at the mo. The USA is still ( or will be again) a force for the good IMHO. Things like Space Exploration, Silicon Valley (yes Windows , the film industry (yea OK???), world trade are mostly for the good. I understand the argument that some of these must be changed for the good-survival of the world as we know it, but its not just USA that needs to change.

My only a couple of times in California and Hawaii leads me to believe that the people are just like us, really only wanting to lead a reasonable life. But there again, I only meet my kind of people, not the extraordinary rich who do slap the climate and personal footprint in the face......Oh ***t, we are a loser for certain.

My Flickr
Old 10th May 2019

Liked 1,563 Times in 768 Posts

The average American is just like the average Brit. Politicians are just bad wherever you look. I am amazed at the anti-US comments on here.

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (10th May 2019)
Old 10th May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Completely agree. The problem is that so many of the orange idiots core voters are just plain thick. He will probably get in again in 2020 and its further downhill from there. Frankly Im amazed weve gone nearly three years now with him in charge and were all still here.
So you saying people who want their country back are idiots? Despite all of Trump's shortcomings, he has achieved more for America than Obama did in two terms.

Heard the same claims about those that voted Brexit in this country.

Ah well, looking forward to May 23rd, let's see.

My Flickr
Old 11th May 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts

I'm not anti American per se but in the context of Climate Change, which is what this thread is about, I am going to criticize their Government strongly because their refusal to acknowledge that there is a problem is making a desperate situation even worse and that effects the whole world, not just America. Pompeo's declaration that global warming is a good thing because it will open new shipping routes through the Artic ice is plain stupid and extremely dangerous.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (11th May 2019), Otto (11th May 2019), TimP (11th May 2019)
Old 11th May 2019

Liked 721 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
So you saying people who want their country back are idiots? Despite all of Trump's shortcomings, he has achieved more for America than Obama did in two terms.

Heard the same claims about those that voted Brexit in this country.

Ah well, looking forward to May 23rd, let's see.
Yes, Im saying a huge amount of trumps core voters are idiots, complete redneck idiots. Weve a few American friends and meet many on travels and to a man they all apologise for trump. Weve even had people come up to us in the street, after hearing us speak English and actually apologise. Theyve gone out of their way to do so. These are perhaps educated and well travelled Americans but without exception they have all apologised.
Obviously the trump supporters have kept quiet.
Id love to ask a trump supporter exactly how they, personally, are better off under trump. I expect theyd struggle to name one thing.
The man is a dangerous, narcissistic misogynist and the sooner hes gone the safer the world will be.
Otto (11th May 2019)
Old 11th May 2019

Liked 869 Times in 555 Posts

Same goes for our present bunch of headless chickens!
Old 11th May 2019

Liked 2,313 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
The man [Trump] is a dangerous, narcissistic misogynist and the sooner hes gone the safer the world will be.
I cannot disagree with that Tim, but from everything that I have read and heard Hillary Clinton was just as dangerous as Trump, if not more so.

Americans voted for Trump because he promised to put America first; something which the American electorate obviously felt previous administration(s) had failed to do. It is just the same with Brexit and immigration in this country.

Sadly modern politics means that nobody gets anywhere near The Whitehouse without already being obscenely rich and autocratic, and self made $billionaires are rarely nice people to live with. In any case, why would a narcissistic, 70 year old self-made $billionare be bothered about what happens to the environment in twenty years time?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
wornish (11th May 2019)
Old 11th May 2019

Quote:
Yes, Im saying a huge amount of trumps core voters are idiots, complete redneck idiots. Weve a few American friends and meet many on travels and to a man they all apologise for trump. Weve even had people come up to us in the street, after hearing us speak English and actually apologise. Theyve gone out of their way to do so. These are perhaps educated and well travelled Americans but without exception they have all apologised.
Obviously the trump supporters have kept quiet.
Id love to ask a trump supporter exactly how they, personally, are better off under trump. I expect theyd struggle to name one thing.
The man is a dangerous, narcissistic misogynist and the sooner hes gone the safer the world will be.
Wow!
I agree Trump and most of his top officials are not nice but neither was his predecessor and certainly not the alternative choice at the last presidential election. I think America has a population of around 350 million and a significant proportion of those voted for Trump's policies. So you believe almost 100 million Americans are idiots because you disagree with how they voted?

Seeing as how this thread is about climate change and following your logic is everyone who doesn't vote for The Green Party also an idiot?

My Flickr
Old 11th May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
In any case, why would a narcissistic, 70 year old self-made $billionare be bothered about what happens to the environment in twenty years time?
Self made? He inherited it from his father and has proceeded to lose most of it ever since, the recent tax info has gone some way to proving that too.
Otto (11th May 2019)
Old 11th May 2019

Quote:
Wow!
I agree Trump and most of his top officials are not nice but neither was his predecessor and certainly not the alternative choice at the last presidential election. I think America has a population of around 350 million and a significant proportion of those voted for Trump's policies. So you believe almost 100 million Americans are idiots because you disagree with how they voted?

Seeing as how this thread is about climate change and following your logic is everyone who doesn't vote for The Green Party also an idiot?
100 million? (Is that all?) Possibly.
Im not sure Ive seen the numbers of people that actually voted for the tweeting idiot but Hillary got more voters (the popular vote) but I doubt its anywhere near 100million, but like I said no idea.
Similar proportion in this country too, seeing as how the Sun and the Daily Mail are the best selling newspapers. Oddly the demographic that prefers the Mail should be much less likely to be the thickos. Not sure how that works.

Sadly the Green Party are a one trick pony. UK politics is in a complete mess at the moment, I cant see how its going to get itself out of the mess. We dont seem to be being governed while no one is actually looking at sorting Brexit either, is it any wonder the Tories are at each others throats, meanwhile Labour are utterly failing to capitalise on any of it! Enough!
Old 11th May 2019

Quote:
100 million? (Is that all?) Possibly.
I’m not sure I’ve seen the numbers of people that actually voted for the tweeting idiot but Hillary got more voters (the popular vote) but I doubt it’s anywhere near 100million, but like I said no idea.
Similar proportion in this country too, seeing as how the Sun and the Daily Mail are the best selling newspapers. Oddly the demographic that prefers the Mail should be much less likely to be the thickos. Not sure how that works.

Sadly the Green Party are a one trick pony. UK politics is in a complete mess at the moment, I can’t see how it’s going to get itself out of the mess. We don’t seem to be being governed while no one is actually looking at sorting Brexit either, is it any wonder the Tories are at each other’s throats, meanwhile Labour are utterly failing to capitalise on any of it! Enough!
I have no idea either as to the exact numbers who actually voted for either candidate in the US but it's certainly in the 10's of millions.

Have to say you have a very interesting opinion of people if you disagree with their viewpoint they must be thick!

So who would you vote for in the UK given today's choices?

My Flickr
Old 11th May 2019

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
... but neither was his predecessor ...

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.