Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 17th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E3 focus mode

This weekend i am doing some indoor ski racing pics, any suggestions between center weighted or dynamic single target ?.

David
Old 17th June 2010

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: E3 focus mode

David,

I use centre weighted as it will pick up anything in the adjacent focus point if it can't find anything on the point specified. It looks like a cross when on the centre point.

I used my E330 for my skiing photos but the E3's centre-weighted works well in other applications. It generally produces the same effect as the single target mode but doesn't require such precise aiming.

A bonus tip: Somebody posted some top tips about the E3 and C-AF / sequential shooting which were very good indeed. The elements I found best were to shoot in RAW-only and low-speed continuous shooting at 4fps in order to reduce the processor load on the camera and allow it to concentrate on focusing. I found that the RAW only part of the tip makes a phenomenal difference.

Nick
Old 17th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Nick

Thanks for the info, the problem is i will have approx 200 racers doing two runs per day min for 2 days so i will try & get only one pic per run partly because of the lens and lack of light and also its a lot of pics to tag & edit and if i shoot in raw it takes up one heck of lot of room & then i need to convert to jpeg for the kids.

reg

David
Old 18th June 2010

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

David,

Ah, I see. I didn't realise the scale on which you were doing this!

Nick
Old 18th June 2010

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoboard View Post
This weekend i am doing some indoor ski racing pics, any suggestions between center weighted or dynamic single target ?.

David
dynamic single with centre point set - (diamond as most call it) - every time

your question is a little confusing as this is effectively 'centre weighted' focus; and the only centre weighted focus mode!

single point only uses the active point

all points uses them all individually

diamond uses the selected point plus, somehow, the surrounding AF points, to get an AF lock at the selected point - only if it can't get one there will it go looking else where, and it can select from all points not just the surrounding. If it does it will give you a visual in the VF (in S-AF mode). I have only had this happen twice in thousands of shots - and both times it's obvious when.

definitely AF points set to normal when using diamond.

(started typing this yesterday....never pushed post!)
Old 23rd June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi
just picked up your reply, not c-af ?

reg

David
Old 27th June 2010
tonton1962

On somewhat the same topic: I went out yesterday to shoot some departing airplanes at Brussels Airport. Hadn't done for a while, and tested the E3 + 70-300 AF. First I had forgotten to put C-AF instead of the usual S-AF, with the result that all of these were blurred (as could be expected). Then I switched to C-AF in combination with single AF point. Seemed to work ok. Then I switched to using all of the 11 points, which seemed to work fine too. Of course, these planes are really slow and not really a test for the E3. 3/07/2010 I'm off to shoot an airshow, which will test the capabilities. I'll keep you posted.
Old 27th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It would be intresting with some thing very fast moving

reg

David