Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 8th June 2019

Liked 869 Times in 555 Posts
Olympus OI Track / OI Share

I have tried OI Share before and found it worked OK with my PEN-F although some features are a bit obscure. Today I decided to get a bit more familiar with it on my E-M1i and also try OI Track, the latter seems to be panned in many reviews on the (iOS) App Store so I was prepared to be disappointed. The complaints seem mostly related to the user instructions (or lack of them).

I downloaded it to my iPhone and when I launched it I was presented with two options, "add logs from camera" and "start logging", neither of which made a lot of sense. I soon discovered that the first one is only relevant if the camera has built-in GPS; the E-M1i doesn't. I tried the settings menu and had to resort to Wikipedia to find out what A-GPS is - again not relevant to the E-M1. After a little play I decided to go out and try the GPS logging and found that it actually works very well.

What isn't obvious is how to get the geotags onto the camera and into the image files! Before you start logging, sync the camera and phone clocks (from the App's Settings screen, then Start Logging. You can now turn off the camera's wi-fi (and indeed the camera). Once you finish logging there will be another option on the home screen, the name of the track you've just logged. Tapping that will open a page with a map of the track and a summary of the route information. However if you slide the track name left you get options to Delete it, Add Geotag, and More. With the camera connected to the app tap "Add Geotag" and the app will add the location information to all the pics that were taken while the logging was active. Neat! You can import the tagged images to your phone and they can be displayed together with their location on the map.

There's a new folder on the camera's SD card now called "GPS LOG" which contains a text file with all the GPS trackpoints that were recorded during logging. Sadly I cannot find an option to export the tracklog in a standard .gpx format or similar but I have a friend who's a bit of a GPS expert and may know of a way of converting the log file to .gpx. I'll update this thread if I find a way. Maybe someone here knows?

Meanwhile, if you've previously been put off by all the reviews that say it doesn't work, do try OI Track. It does work, it just needs either someone to write a decent manual for it or more helpful info on the app screen itself!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Beagletorque (10th June 2019), Jim Ford (8th June 2019), OM USer (9th June 2019), TimP (8th June 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
griffljg (11th June 2019)
Old 8th June 2019

Re: Olympus OI Track / OI Share

Geotags are added to both .jpg and raw files, latitude and longitude in DMS format and altitude in feet or meters.

Here's a sample entry in the raw gps data file that's written to the camera's SD card:
Quote:
$GPGGA,145017.93,5418.421586,N,00204.219056,W,1,,0 0.00,186.283569,M,,M,,*5b
$GPRMC,145017,A,5418.421586,N,00204.219056,W,0.340 173,259.804688,080619,*2e
Old 8th June 2019

Liked 1,743 Times in 647 Posts

I found it works very well, except it relies on my flakey memory to enable and disable the tracking on the phone, so out of the half dozen intended outings using it, it only got used on one walk...

BTU (Blame the user)

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 8th June 2019

I know that feeling Walti, I've done that myself on another GPS app I have on my phone!

Since writing the above posts I (or rather Google) found GPS Visualizer and hey presto, I now have a shiny .gpx file of the data written to the camera, and that file opens in my mapping software .

This is going to be so useful later in the year when I have a Big Trip planned .
Old 8th June 2019

Liked 722 Times in 491 Posts

Thanks for the rundown Richard. It might give me the push to try it myself as I really miss GPS built into the camera (cheapskate omission Olympus)
Reason for not bothering with it up to now is the faff of having to actually do something to get it going. Even the external GPS from Canon that plugged in and sat on the hot shoe was preferable to this, or so I thought. Maybe I’ll give it a go. Can it work for two bodies at the same time?
Old 8th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Can it work for two bodies at the same time?
I don't see why not, assuming you're using both bodies on the same outing. Once you've finished logging connect the first one, upload the log file, disconnect that one, connect the second and upload the file to that one. The main thing is to sync the camera clock to the phone clock before you start logging otherwise the results may be inaccurate.

The system works by looking at the time stamp on each photo and extracting the gps data with the same (or closest) time stamp to the photo, all the processing is done after you've finished logging the data so I guess you can use as many bodies as you like.

I think I've seen some stand-alone software somewhere that does much the same thing on a PC which has all the gps and image files on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
TimP (10th June 2019)
Old 10th June 2019

Two days later and I just had to read the OP to find out how to geotag yesterday's pics. It really isn't intuitive, and my short term memory is obviously shot to ribbons!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Beagletorque (10th June 2019)
Old 10th June 2019

Liked 722 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Two days later and I just had to read the OP to find out how to geotag yesterday's pics. It really isn't intuitive, and my short term memory is obviously shot to ribbons!
See, thatís my problem, why oh why canít it be built in as standard.
Old 10th June 2019

The E-M1X has it built in, obviously they want you to buy one of those! Logging GPS on OI Track isn't the issue, that's very easy (as long as you remember to press "start") but hiding the "geotag images" function behind a slider is really a bit silly. I also hadn't realised the "Power off" function is a slider as well despite the arrow head next to it. The app works well enough but it really needs a UI redesign.
Old 11th June 2019

Liked 1,632 Times in 1,044 Posts

I had another look at 'OI Track', and as I remembered - it's a 'megafaff' to use!

Jim
Old 11th June 2019

It's easy enough when you get used to it . Turn the camera's wi-fi on and connect the phone to it. Set the camera's clock, turn off the wi-fi, start gps logging. At the end of the trip, turn off logging, connect to the camera and upload the data. (Insert "refer to the instructions" at any point in that process when you've forgotten how to use the app. )

The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (11th June 2019)