Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 29th March 2019

Liked 687 Times in 297 Posts
Olympus Workspace - Creative Modes Seem to Be Missing

All the stuff from the Creative Dial on the front of the Pen F seems to be missing. Is this because it is genuinely missing or am I missing something?
Old 31st March 2019

Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,035 Posts
Liked 2,139 Times in 1,142 Posts
Re: Olympus Workspace - Creative Modes Seem to Be Missing

Would it be in the Picture Mode list or the Art Filter & Colo(u)r Filter lists in Oly Workspace?

BTW, I do like those Colo(u)r Filters!
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 31st March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Would it be in the Picture Mode list or the Art Filter & Colo(u)r Filter lists in Oly Workspace?

BTW, I do like those Colo(u)r Filters!
I’ve checked both. What comes under that front dial of the Pen F seems to correspond to a second, different JPEG engine. The colour is good, but the monochrome is noisy. As far as I can tell, none of this is supported in Workspace.
Old 2nd April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
I’ve checked both. What comes under that front dial of the Pen F seems to correspond to a second, different JPEG engine. The colour is good, but the monochrome is noisy. As far as I can tell, none of this is supported in Workspace.
I went & found a PEN-F raw file (ORF) to check & Picture Mode in OWS doesn't have Color Profile listed as it has it separately as Adjust Color instead. Monochrome Profile is still listed under Picture Mode though (as well as Monotone).

See the two here with OV3 overlaid on the left with OWS on the right.

OV3 Color Profile+OWS Adjust Color..jpg

Adjust Vignetting in OWS is separate under the colour palette icon (beneath Art Filters & Color Filter).

If you say the monochrome is noisy it may be just the display not giving you the full resolution as it sometimes does to me, but I just export & save the JPEG & all is fine. Also, I had to disable the GPU in the options for the display to work OK on my Win7 laptop.

Is the above what you were talking about, because I found everything in OWS (but in different locations) that was in OV3 pertaining to the PEN-F settings as far as I can tell?

Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 2nd April 2019

Quote:
I went & found a PEN-F raw file (ORF) to check & Picture Mode in OWS doesn't have Color Profile listed as it has it separately as Adjust Color instead. Monochrome Profile is still listed under Picture Mode though (as well as Monotone).

See the two here with OV3 overlaid on the left with OWS on the right.

Attachment 4892

Adjust Vignetting in OWS is separate under the colour palette icon (beneath Art Filters & Color Filter).

If you say the monochrome is noisy it may be just the display not giving you the full resolution as it sometimes does to me, but I just export & save the JPEG & all is fine. Also, I had to disable the GPU in the options for the display to work OK on my Win7 laptop.

Is the above what you were talking about, because I found everything in OWS (but in different locations) that was in OV3 pertaining to the PEN-F settings as far as I can tell?

Yes, that display partly corresponds to what is under colour profiles. The black and whites (front dial settings, nor the more traditional picture tone monochrome which is as nice as ever) are indeed noisy on any display. I donít know if thatís deliberate or just a consequence of the pushing and pulling done to achieve the effects.
Old 2nd April 2019

Quote:
Yes, that display partly corresponds to what is under colour profiles. The black and whites (front dial settings, nor the more traditional picture tone monochrome which is as nice as ever) are indeed noisy on any display. I don’t know if that’s deliberate or just a consequence of the pushing and pulling done to achieve the effects.
It's only 'noisy' because the Film Grain Effect: is default at High. It can be selected to OFF if desired.

Monotone Profile.JPG
Old 3rd April 2019

Quote:
It's only 'noisy' because the Film Grain Effect: is default at High. It can be selected to OFF if desired.

Attachment 4896
Possibly I've not understood that setting of the camera. I'll check.
Old 3rd April 2019

Quote:
Possibly I've not understood that setting of the camera. I'll check.
I can make those adjustments to raw files in post (wth OWS) from the E-M1 II as it has Monochrome Picture Mode (unlike the E-M1 only having Monotone which is restricted to that in OWS) but while the camera doesn't give me Grain options it is possible to select that in OWS still.
Old 6th April 2019

So, we have two definitive known knowns. Firstly, OWS absolutely does not support the camera’s baked in creative modes, but gives you the tools to get close.

Second, I’ve solved the mystery of noisy OOC JPEGs. It is possible for SCP and menu settings to disagree somewhat. So while I had film grain set to off, in the menu, it was set to high in SCP. On this morning’s pre breakfast photo walk, I achieved nice, clean OOC JPEGs.