Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-30

Olympus E-30 An Olympus 12.1MP upper mid-range DSLR, the E-30.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 17th March 2009
rich s
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: AP Review of E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The E-30, in my opinion, has better noise performance at the high ISO end, than an E-1 - easily. There is much less chroma noise and the larger number of pixels tends to hide noise anyway.

I also feel the E-30 has better noise performance than the G1. They are both much improved over earlier E-System models, but the E-30 has a more consistent grain structure than the G1.

Ian
Ian - you are exactly right in your thoughts & conclusions about E30 noise.

Undoubtedly better than G1 and E520 (I have both) - and last night I was out till about 8.30pm - on the S.Brittany coast shooting up to 2000 ISO quite happily. So very low light. I find ISO 800 to be virtually noise free, 1600 perfectly useable. ISO 2000 is noisy / grainy, as you might expect, but holds its colour balance.

I used Noiseware Pro, and the filtered image was fine. I still see posts claiming that the E520 has better noise characteristics .... but that is quite beyond me!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15th April 2009
hgranlie hgranlie is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: AP Review of E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich s View Post
Ian - you are exactly right in your thoughts & conclusions about E30 noise.

Undoubtedly better than G1 and E520 (I have both) - and last night I was out till about 8.30pm - on the S.Brittany coast shooting up to 2000 ISO quite happily. So very low light. I find ISO 800 to be virtually noise free, 1600 perfectly useable. ISO 2000 is noisy / grainy, as you might expect, but holds its colour balance.

I used Noiseware Pro, and the filtered image was fine. I still see posts claiming that the E520 has better noise characteristics .... but that is quite beyond me!
Hi Rich. Can we see some of those pictures - have You uploaded them somewhere to see?

regards
Hans
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16th April 2009
The Judge
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: AP Review of E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
I wouldn't take any notice of anything AP said about any camera, never mind a brand such as Olympus which they don't understand and don't generally like anyway. AP is no longer the wise journal that it was, but a partisan rag with a number of inept journalists working for it.

Steve
Accuracy 1
Content 2
Wisdom 1
Delivery 2
Relevance 1

Overall 14% = No need for the jury to retire. Throw away the key...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 16th April 2009
shenstone's Avatar
shenstone shenstone is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 3,377
Thanks: 166
Thanked 318 Times in 242 Posts
Likes: 411
Liked 507 Times in 281 Posts
Re: AP Review of E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
Accuracy 1
Content 2
Wisdom 1
Delivery 2
Relevance 1

Overall 14% = No need for the jury to retire. Throw away the key...
I've wondered whether this your posts are an experiment being carried out for some second rate social sciences course, but then again you could actually belive your own self importance

My rating so far

Composition 0
Originality 0
Relevance 0
Common Sense 0
Colour/Effects 0

Overall Score 0% NBF!
__________________
Best Regards
Andy.

Ratings index %: 95-100 =Benchmark: 90-95 =Outstanding: 85-90 =Superb: 75-85 =Very Good: 65-75 =Good: 50-65 =Average: 35-50 =Poor: 20-35 =DNF (did not finish!): 0-20 =NBF (No Brain functions!)
Take him down....
__________________
__________________
My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 16th April 2009
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 4,412
Thanks: 319
Thanked 384 Times in 262 Posts
Likes: 1,210
Liked 833 Times in 279 Posts
Re: AP Review of E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
I've wondered whether this your posts are an experiment being carried out for some second rate social sciences course, but then again you could actually belive your own self importance

My rating so far

Composition 0
Originality 0
Relevance 0
Common Sense 0
Colour/Effects 0

Overall Score 0% NBF!
__________________
Best Regards
Andy.

Ratings index %: 95-100 =Benchmark: 90-95 =Outstanding: 85-90 =Superb: 75-85 =Very Good: 65-75 =Good: 50-65 =Average: 35-50 =Poor: 20-35 =DNF (did not finish!): 0-20 =NBF (No Brain functions!)
Take him down....
__________________

Congratulations on your 1000th post Andy.

Regards. Barr1e
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BJP New Review DTD Olympus E-3 1 4th June 2008 11:27 AM
Yet Another E3 Review ndl0071 Olympus E-3 2 6th May 2008 07:54 PM
E3 Review in A.P. yorky Olympus E-3 35 22nd March 2008 09:46 PM
New review of the E3! yorky The lounge 2 14th February 2008 01:02 PM
DP review Bo_Nydahl Olympus E-3 10 15th November 2007 11:40 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:23 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger