Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 23rd May 2017

Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Enclosure

Clicking my pics has worked.
Is this picture too simple and lacking interest? I like simplicity but I am my worst critic. I find it so very difficult to critique pictures with any insight, especially my own.
Jeff
Old 23rd May 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts
Re: Enclosure

I'm no expert so you may want to take my comments with a pinch of salt.

To me the image is not too simple but in fact two images in one. From the title the enclosure wall is the subject which is fine but in this case the very nice view in the background becomes a distraction from the wall which is very strong in the foreground. I would make two images of this shot. To match the title I would crop the top of the image to remove the background which leaves a very nice detailed image of the structure and its immediate surroundings. For the second image I would crop the bottom of the image to remove the nearest (low) section of the wall which will make the remaining parts of the wall into a kind of leading line to lead your eyes to the view of the distant hills.

Just my personal perception.

On a technical point the image (like many of the excellent shots in your gallery) is too large to display within the frame of the forum and cannot be viewed without scrolling. As a rule of thumb images need to be resized to be not more than 800 pixels high to be viewed comfortably and in fact if they are bigger than this the forum software does some arbtrary re-scaling which can degrade the image quality.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 23rd May 2017

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

Some further personal thoughts:

I really like the contrast in texture between the wall and the stiff grass/rushes. This does contribute to the lower 2/3 working quite well alone, although for me it would be stronger with light from a lower sun highlighting the textures. It would work quite well as part of a set illustrating the enclosure.

With the mountains and sky in place, ones eye follows round the curve of the enclosure then is dumped out to the far right. It would work better for me from a viewpoint where it led the eye towards the hills, or perhaps had a significant gap from where the eye could rise to them.

Hope that helps!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 23rd May 2017
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

Jeff, do you mind if I post an edited version of your picture?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
I'm no expert so you may want to take my comments with a pinch of salt.

To me the image is not too simple but in fact two images in one. From the title the enclosure wall is the subject which is fine but in this case the very nice view in the background becomes a distraction from the wall which is very strong in the foreground. I would make two images of this shot. To match the title I would crop the top of the image to remove the background which leaves a very nice detailed image of the structure and its immediate surroundings. For the second image I would crop the bottom of the image to remove the nearest (low) section of the wall which will make the remaining parts of the wall into a kind of leading line to lead your eyes to the view of the distant hills.

Just my personal perception.

On a technical point the image (like many of the excellent shots in your gallery) is too large to display within the frame of the forum and cannot be viewed without scrolling. As a rule of thumb images need to be resized to be not more than 800 pixels high to be viewed comfortably and in fact if they are bigger than this the forum software does some arbtrary re-scaling which can degrade the image quality.

Regards.
Thanks for considered reply.
I see your point. I was trying to put the enclosure in context ie a remnant of agriculture as it was in remote Pennine moors in the nineteenth and early twentieth century. A confusion of social history and pictorial I guess.
I'll revise my resizing as advised.
Jeff
PS The photo was taken as part of an exercise to take a record photo from every intersection of OS map 1 kilometre grid lines in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. My part was to the East and North of Sedburgh and across to Garsdale. The weather was generally very benign - most unusual.
The Following User Says Thank You to chorleyjeff For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (24th May 2017)
Old 24th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Jeff, do you mind if I post an edited version of your picture?
Not at all. I look forward to seeing what you make of it.
Jefff
Old 24th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Some further personal thoughts:

I really like the contrast in texture between the wall and the stiff grass/rushes. This does contribute to the lower 2/3 working quite well alone, although for me it would be stronger with light from a lower sun highlighting the textures. It would work quite well as part of a set illustrating the enclosure.

With the mountains and sky in place, ones eye follows round the curve of the enclosure then is dumped out to the far right. It would work better for me from a viewpoint where it led the eye towards the hills, or perhaps had a significant gap from where the eye could rise to them.

Hope that helps!
Yes. That is useful commentary. I agree about the lighting but my excuse was that I had to take a series of photos over an extensive area At specific but arbitrary locations !
Jeff
Old 24th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
PS The photo was taken as part of an exercise to take a record photo from every intersection of OS map 1 kilometre grid lines in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. My part was to the East and North of Sedburgh and across to Garsdale. The weather was generally very benign - most unusual.
Excellent - a man needs a project (as my wife tells me when she's trying to get me out from under her feet).

Too much Oly gear.
Old 24th May 2017

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
That sounds like a really interesting project, and I can see why you took it as you did. Good luck with it all, I will be very interested to see the results.

John
Old 24th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
That sounds like a really interesting project...
It does: I'm just completing my most recent project and I'll be looking for another, so inspiration will be helpful.

When it's complete in a week or two's time I'll post a link to the website where I'm showing the results, and I'll also ask everyone to post ideas for projects they've done or thought of. I suspect quite a few of us will find that useful.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 24th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Excellent - a man needs a project (as my wife tells me when she's trying to get me out from under her feet).
That project is finished.
The next one is to produce around 35 mounted and framed prints for sale, and mat and frame the same number of my wife's paintings for sale in November at the Avant Garden centre gallery. A vanity project I guess but as you say we all need a project - especially when retired from paid work.
The next one might be an exploration of the Thames. My son lives near the Thames in Berkshire and I enjoy exploring both the history and visual qualities of the river and surroundings, which are so very different to the NW of England. But on the other hand the beautiful Chiltern hills and valleys could make a good panel.
Jeff
Old 24th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
That sounds like a really interesting project, and I can see why you took it as you did. Good luck with it all, I will be very interested to see the results.

John
See http://www.tom-marsh.co.uk/grid-project.html.
I did two areas as a project for my interest. I will be interested to see how it all works out.
In retrospect I think it is a clever marketing ploy by the organiser. I was foolish enough to think the project had the backing of the National Park but having said that it got me out to areas I did not know except I had stayed at Tarn a couple of times with an art group.
Jeff
Old 24th May 2017

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

Thanks Jeff. I love the Dales and don't get there nearly often enough, so I'll look forward to seeing the archive when it's got a bit more on it.

One idea I was toying with was to do some sort of photo archive of things in my home city - Salisbury. Places of worship was one - it turns out there are loads of them and for a city this size it would be a tall order and probably need some proper project management.

Another one is just taking shape. I have a vague memory of seeing a series of photos by the great Italian photographer Gabriele Basilico showing all of the approaches to Turin. It was a photo at the city boundary on each of the roads as it enters the city. I think this would be a bit more manageable, and give some ideas for themes, emphasis and interpretation. The main problem is deciding where the city begins and ends!

John
Old 24th May 2017
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

The enclosure provides good foreground interest and, initially at least, it also acts as a strong leading line, drawing the viewer's eye into the scene and making the link with the distant hills. However, as others have already said, there is a problem with it when the wall veers right near its end, potentially leading the eye out of the picture instead of making that all important link with the background. It's not a bad composition by any means, just not quite as good as it might have been but that is the challenge of landscape photography - absolute perfection is very rarely achieved. I still like it and it's definitely a keeper.

It still needs some work though, as the highlights lack definition and contrast, so I have edited it in Elements 10 to show what I think is an improvement. First I tried Auto Smart Fix, which rather surprisingly I often find does fix many issues with a single click. However, in this case I didn't feel it had gone quite far enough, so I made a selection of the background hills and sky and darkened highlights by 12%. I then inverted the selection and darkened the foreground highlights by 5%. Next I returned to the whole image and increased contrast by 10%. Note that these are all fairly minor adjustments, the trick is to not be too bold with the editing. Finally I resized to 864 x 648 pixels, which is a much better fit for most computer screens, and slightly sharpened. I have posted the result below, together with the resized only original for side to side comparison. What do you think? You might not like my edit of course, at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference!

Edited version

Original version

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th May 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for considered reply.
I see your point. I was trying to put the enclosure in context ie a remnant of agriculture as it was in remote Pennine moors in the nineteenth and early twentieth century. A confusion of social history and pictorial I guess.
I'll revise my resizing as advised.
Jeff
Thanks for that, understanding the context in which the photo was taken explains why you did it the way you did. I was looking at it from the point of view of the aesthetics of the image (photography as art) rather than recording the scene with an historical context.

I think John's edit works well as to me it makes the distant landscape more part of the scene rather than a slightly hazy distraction in the background.
I still think it may be also possible to get two additional images from the shot which will stand on their own in terms of aesthetics which would be a bonus. I'll have a go later.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (24th May 2017)