Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen Lite E-PL5

Olympus Pen Lite E-PL5 The new and improved Olympus Pen Lite with the OM-D E-M5's excellenyt 16MP sensor and a touch screen that can face forwards for self-portraits.

Old 23rd August 2015

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Two weeks on

I have been using my E-PL5 for just over two weeks now, it is taking a little time to get used to handling it and setting it up to my preferences. It is very small, which was one reason I decided to buy it, however the ergonomics in terms of handling take some getting used to. I am using it with my Lumix 14-42 mkii at the moment but am seriously considering the Olympus 17mm 2.8 which seems to be a better lens than some reviews would have you believe. That will make it a very compact, almost pocketable package, certainly perfect for my cycle bar bag. The differences in image quality compared to my Lumix G3 are quite small, yet significant in terms of colour depth and DR, sounds like a contridiction I know but at this early stage that is how I see it. I will post some pictures in the future but it appears I need 'flash' to post pictures from my ipad which does nt support this.
Any thoughts on the Olympus 17mm 2.8 would be appreciated
Thanks
Gary
Old 23rd August 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Re: Two weeks on

I had an EPL-5 for a while and really liked it. I only swapped it for a E-P5 to get the WiFi and wheel controls.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 23rd August 2015

Liked 855 Times in 241 Posts

It's worth considering the Lumix 20mm if your budget reaches that far, it is a great lens and about the same size as the Only 17mm

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to IainMacD For This Useful Post:
Petanque (23rd August 2015)
Old 24th August 2015

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
It's worth considering the Lumix 20mm if your budget reaches that far, it is a great lens and about the same size as the Only 17mm
Hi Iain, thanks for the info, I have been seriously considering the lumix 20mm however after reading some very favourable opinions on the Olympus ( in amongst the poor reviews) I thought it might be worth a try. It is considerably cheaper and I have had many Lumix lenses but never Olympus so I have decided to try one.
Thank you again for your reply.
Regards
Gary