Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 23rd March 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
Interesting interview with Olympus.

Interesting pointers to the future direction of Olympus.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/661...nd-lightweight
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miketoll For This Useful Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (23rd March 2015), Melaka (23rd March 2015), OM USer (24th March 2015)
Old 23rd March 2015

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Interesting interview with Olympus.

Fascinating.

Having spent a day at The Photography Show, I'm more convinced than ever that the future is mirrorless. The Canon and Nikon stuff feels big, heavy, ugly and outdated. Sony cameras still feel horrible and the lens range is limited (and they're all massive). I also heard a rumour that Sony might be reconsidering their camera business in its entirety. The Pentax cameras look and feel cheap and unless I missed them, Samsung were nowhere to be seen.

The latest Oly and Panasonic glass is superb and for me the Oly cameras are the top of the game in u43. The Fuji cameras are nice though - esp the X100. However, the Xmount lenses are big and expensive and I'm still not convinced about the sensor.

Net, net - I think Oly are getting a lot right at the moment. For me, on sensor tech, I'd like to see better noise control before higher resolution.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (23rd March 2015)
Old 23rd March 2015
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

There's a reason Fuji lenses are bigger than Olympus. They have to cover a bigger sensor.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd March 2015

Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts

Interesting read, I like the way have are offering something completely different to other manufacturers (with Panasonic along for the ride), it's nice to see a different strategy.

That they see FF as the major competition is good too, I really don't see the point in APSC any more as the latest gen of the M4/3 sensor is fantastic. That said, the Oly lenses are such high quality that I also need to use high quality of glass on my FF kit in order to tell the difference without actively looking hard for them.
Old 24th March 2015

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

Not a great deal said on current and future emphasis on continuous autofocus & tracking performance, but some improvement should presumably appear with updated processors even if the camera body and sensor technology stood still.

Oh dear - "Olympus's forthcoming 300mm F4 lens offers a focal length equivalent to 600mm. Although not as fast as a 600mm F4 would be for full-frame, it's highly portable by comparison."

Depends on their definition of "fast" of course, but most people would take that to mean light-gathering capacity and in that case an f4 lens is just as fast as an f4 lens so dp risk misleading people.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but at full aperture taking the same photograph a m4/3 bodied Oly 300 f4 would be at the same ISO and shutter speed as a Nikon 600 f4 on a full-frame FX body. The Nikon would have about 2 stops shallower depth of field, of course, but the 'film and shutter speeds' would be the same. Yes?)

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 24th March 2015

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,138 Times in 1,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Not a great deal said on current and future emphasis on continuous autofocus & tracking performance, but some improvement should presumably appear with updated processors even if the camera body and sensor technology stood still.

Oh dear - "Olympus's forthcoming 300mm F4 lens offers a focal length equivalent to 600mm. Although not as fast as a 600mm F4 would be for full-frame, it's highly portable by comparison."

Depends on their definition of "fast" of course, but most people would take that to mean light-gathering capacity and in that case an f4 lens is just as fast as an f4 lens so dp risk misleading people.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but at full aperture taking the same photograph a m4/3 bodied Oly 300 f4 would be at the same ISO and shutter speed as a Nikon 600 f4 on a full-frame FX body. The Nikon would have about 2 stops shallower depth of field, of course, but the 'film and shutter speeds' would be the same. Yes?)
DPR are still stuck on that biased "light gathering" nonsense they continually bang on about. Sure larger sensors have had larger pixels that has been better in dynamic range & less noise & that can't be totally overlooked, but saying " not as fast as on FF" in this application is just nonsense & shows their continued silly bias. That's just putting out misinformation as far as I'm concerned. A bit like the (NSW) state politicians campaign at that moment. As long as they get into parliament it doesn't matter if they stretch the truth.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 24th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post

That's just plain wrong - someone at DPR doesn't understand and automatically thinks that FF is better, faster etc without actually understanding what he/she's talking about.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (24th March 2015)
Old 24th March 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Yeah, I was surprised by that comment too, f4 is f4 and is a property of the lens to my understanding.
Old 24th March 2015

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

The only difference is field of view every thing else is the same I.e depth of field light gathering is the same 300mm f4 full frame does the same as 300mm f4 but has the field of view of a 600mm f4 lens. Which in effect would have to have a higher shutter speed as the lens true focul length is greater which requires twice the shutter speed to compensate for camera shake.

Dave
Old 24th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
The only difference is field of view every thing else is the same I.e depth of field light gathering is the same 300mm f4 full frame does the same as 300mm f4 but has the field of view of a 600mm f4 lens. Which in effect would have to have a higher shutter speed as the lens true focul length is greater which requires twice the shutter speed to compensate for camera shake.

Dave
Well, DOF would change since a u43 sensor would need more enlarging, so the cicle of confusion changes. In fact, it's shallower with u43 (with same focal length and f-stop - but of course a very different framing).

With identical framing, FF would be using a 600mm lens and would have shallower DOF.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 24th March 2015

Liked 1,315 Times in 793 Posts

I don't know if it's ignorance or just a deliberate mistake to get people to visit the fishing site.

I'd like Olympus to make a digital OM rather than the gimmick laden fashion accessories they're so keen on these days.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.