Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-30

Olympus E-30 An Olympus 12.1MP upper mid-range DSLR, the E-30.

Old 9th June 2011

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
burst mode with manual focus override?!?

I have my E-30 set for shooting in burst mode most of the times. Focus is set to AF-MF almost all times.

When I do manualy override the AF, then I can only take ONE pic at a time and no sequence at all. I am wondering if this is a problem with my E-30 body, or intended as such?

Could anybody please comment how his/her E-30 handles this?
Old 9th June 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: burst mode with manual focus override?!?

After reading this thread I discovered my E30 does the same and I can find no reference to this in the manual. However The E5 sequential shooting works with SAF-MF when the AF is over-ridden, as you would expect. I would be interested to know if this is peculiar to the E30 or do other cameras, Ex or Exxx do the same. Any thoughts or knowledge on this?

I feel an email to di.support@olympus-europa.com coming on!

David
Old 9th June 2011

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,133 Times in 1,140 Posts

Mine works fine, but it has to get focus lock (AF-MF). If you sweep it through a scene (after getting focus lock on the first one), say trees, it will fire each time it has focussed on an item or else you have to wait for the focus to lock on something again (this could be a problem in low light). Maybe the E5 may have some improvement in this area.

I was using AF-MF, 14-54 II lens at maximum aperture & auto ISO in Aperture Priority mode. Now I have to delete all those images off the card to have it ready for some real photos.

There is another peculiarity with the E30 set to AF-MF & that is if you fully press the shutter button but focus didn't lock on anything, it will infact continue to hunt & fire when finally focussed (usually the floor after checking the camera) but will eventually time out if focus didn't lock. For that reason, I usually avoid AF-MF unless there is a good reason to use it.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 9th June 2011

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Thanks a lot David and Ross

I am sorry if there was confusion with the focus mode. I should have been more specific with saying that I use S-AF-MF (and not C-AF-MF) of course.

But, seems as I am not alone and then I don't need to worry any more about my E-30 being faulty.

Ross, is your body configured to wait for focus confirmation before shutter release?
Mine is set to release in any case, when I press the button. There is and should be no focus hunting in this mode I think!? At least I've never experienced a case like you discribed.
Old 9th June 2011

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,133 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk View Post
Thanks a lot David and Ross

I am sorry if there was confusion with the focus mode. I should have been more specific with saying that I use S-AF-MF (and not C-AF-MF) of course.

But, seems as I am not alone and then I don't need to worry any more about my E-30 being faulty.

Ross, is your body configured to wait for focus confirmation before shutter release?
Mine is set to release in any case, when I press the button. There is and should be no focus hunting in this mode I think!? At least I've never experienced a case like you discribed.
Yes my body is configured to wait for focus confirmation before shutter release & I was using S-AF-MF, but also tried C-AF-MF.

I can't think of another setting that might create your situation.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).