Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th February 2011
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Olympus @ Focus on Imaging - NOT

Just had a look at the web site for Focus on Imaging at the NEC in March.

Disappointed to see that Olympus are not on the exhibitors list.

Seems an odd marketing strategy.

Hec
Old 15th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Olympus @ Focus on Imaging - NOT

Yes and it's such a shame. They were last there 2 years ago with the E3, E30 and the E620 was released at the show: it generated a real buzz too.

Focus is the UK's premier photography equipment show so you would have thought that they would want to show their wares.

Padgreen
Old 15th February 2011
Grumpy Member

Question Re: Olympus @ Focus on Imaging - NOT

I'm now questioning if I should follow up on my plan to start buying SWD lenses and the 50MM macro in case Olympus simply stop actively developing 4/3.

Being absent from a show such as this does make you question if it's time to buy into Cannon/Nikon but for the wrong reason of course. I'd much sooner stay with Olympus now I've got going with them.

Does nybody from Olympus read this forum I wonder ?

If so perhaps they would care to comment.

ttfn

hec
Old 15th February 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

It does make you wonder about Olympus' marketing strategy (if they've got one). All you see in the magazine adverts are pictures of wet cameras. They have so much more to offer than just weatherproofing.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 15th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm the same. I've a E30 with Zukio 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 50 and EX25. I would like a Sigma 30 1.4, Zukio 50-200 2.8-3.5 and EC14 but aren't buying, not even second hand, for precisely the same reason.

A year or so ago, their were rumours that the E3 replacement would be accompanied by some new pro grade primes. No anymore. Olympus continues to sell 4/3 lenses but isn't going to make any new ones.

If I was buying from scratch now, I'd buy a Pentax K5. It has received stellar reviews, it's weather sealed and Pentax has good range of top quality lenses: the 16-50 2.8, 50-135 2.8 and 55 1.4 being especially nice, not too big and also weather sealed. However, that lot would set me back around 2500: more if I were to add a Sigma 120-400 4-5.6.

Plus as I shoot raw I'd need to update my computer as I'm using an old Apple G5 PowerPC that won't run the latest versions of Lightroom, Aperture and Photoshop. I would also like to run Lightroom 3 as it deals with noise (an issue with my E30) a whole lot better than my existing Lightroom 2. A new quad core 27 in iMac will set me back another 1600-1800. Then there's the price of upgrading software.

So switching system is going to cost me around 4000-5000 which is a huge expense and one that I can't justify at the moment.

So, I'll be continuing with what I've got. That's OK for the time being: my E30 still takes good photos (apart from the noise). However, I'm not going to invest further in the E system given current uncertainties. If Olympus do abandon 4/3rd then I will have enough trouble selling what I've got.

Padgreen
Old 15th February 2011
Grumpy Member

Angry Re: Olympus @ Focus on Imaging - NOT

All very sad.

I've come to the conclusion that the silence and lack of real marketing for 4/3, E5 apart, along with not being at Focus points to the eventual demise of said format.

As you say Pentax looks a good bet having some of the good aspects of the E system.

curses

Hec
Old 15th February 2011

Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgreen View Post
If Olympus do abandon 4/3rd then I will have enough trouble selling what I've got.
I shouldn't worry too much about that! From what I've seen there are plenty of people on this forum happy to snap up good second-hand lenses - me included!
I'm sure many folks will want to stick with, and add too, the kit they already have rather than swap to another brand.

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."
Old 15th February 2011

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

I'm with Cindy, I wouldn't worry either, the kit we have is paid for and working just fine, I don't see any reason to jump ship. One thing I can tell you is that I did a lot of testing and comparing with the likes of Canon 7d and nikon 7000 before Christmas before I bought the e5 and I didn't think the quality was any better than my e30 (apart from noise) and when comparing with the e5, the e5 iq was better in my eyes.

I don't think Olympus really know what they are doing or where they are going at the moment, I think they thought micro 4/3 was going to change the world, but its clearly not going to happen for a few years. I'm sure they will sort themselves out soon, hang in there

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 16th February 2011
Grumpy Member

Interesting comments about various comparisons with the E5. The less biased reviews I've seen agree with that view albeit not too overtly.

I feel the "I wants" illness building again. Still financial reality is a cure for that

Getting back to start of this thread is the Ficus on Imaging event worth trundling up to the celestial city for

Hec
Old 16th February 2011
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
[... deleted ...]
Getting back to start of this thread is the Ficus on Imaging event worth trundling up to the celestial city for

Hec
I went once (three or four years ago) - it was a day out, but I couldn't be bothered to go again.
Old 16th February 2011
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts

I have been to Focus a couple of times (around 5 years ago) and they weren't there on either occasion so I wouldn't read too much into it.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 16th February 2011

Liked 1,315 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverh View Post
I have been to Focus a couple of times (around 5 years ago) and they weren't there on either occasion so I wouldn't read too much into it.
I used to go in the '90s when you had to be a pro to get in and in those days I don't recall any 35mm makers being there.

It appears the show is now amateur biased but maybe some companies that didn't go in the old days never got into the habit of going.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 16th February 2011

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,138 Times in 1,142 Posts

Quote:
Interesting comments about various comparisons with the E5. The less biased reviews I've seen agree with that view albeit not too overtly.

I feel the "I wants" illness building again. Still financial reality is a cure for that

Hec
And dragging you back away from the start of the thread, the reviewers probably have too much to lose if they step on the toes of the big giant companies too much. I'm still amused how the Canon 60D is getting such a plug for features that were on the E3 & E30 (as the E5 came along) & back then, they were talked down & comments came like, "why would you want that on a DSLR.?".

Anyhow, havanicewon.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 16th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:

Hec
There is no known cure for the devastating "I want's illness" and a trip to Focus will probably make it worse. I've long been a sufferer (camera's & guitars mainly). Financial reality will only help you manage it.

That said, I have been to focus on several occasions, it's always a good day out. There is always something new to look at (read I want) whether Olympus are there or not. This year the new Fuji X100 should definitely be worth a look (rangefinder style camera with APC sensor, 35 mm equivalent F2 lens, hybrid viewfinder etc). Apparently the Fuji stand is next to Pentax's but I've mentioned them in a earlier post!

Padgreen
Old 16th February 2011

Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts

I'm still tempted to go on the Monday as I have a free day then and I need a day out!

Not that I am buying ANYTHING at the moment...

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."