Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 23rd March 2019

Liked 2,324 Times in 1,531 Posts
Re: Recent Thread Closure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Ignore list is quite active at the moment, not saying who,......

Silly *uck*** just wanna argue about black being white.....

**st**rds

Reducing my enjoyment of the forum FOR CERTAIN.....
Fair point Mark, but the question is; should forum discussion topics be dictated my a small minority of members with large chips on their shoulders?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (23rd March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019

Liked 1,635 Times in 1,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
From my point of view its all harmless handbags at ten paces type stuff.
Happy to repeat anything I've ever written face to face, hardly vile abuse.

By their own admission the vast majority on here are getting on in years a bit.
Bit ironic that some take offense very quickly yet would condemn the younger generation for being over sensitive.

Why not just let things run. what's the worst outcome?
Someone flounces off or gets the sulks, not exactly the end of the world.
After all you can just choose to not look at a particular section or thread
Exactly my feelings on the matter!

Jim
Old 23rd March 2019

Liked 1,566 Times in 770 Posts

I also seem to have missed all the excitement! Who said what to whom?
What thread was closed

My contributions, for what they are worth, have dropped off and will probably stop if the forum becomes an online version of a "photography club" with admins who decide what is allowed to be said and what is not

Perhaps others prefer a photographic club style where "expert" royal photographic society approved judges know best

Not for me, I actually enjoy the banter more so than the dry technical or any perceived "artistic" feedback that is given

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Darkroom (25th March 2019), Naughty Nigel (23rd March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
If only there was a way to put a tone of voice intonation into typed comments on the internet then all the hassle would be avoided and moderation would be easy and stress free.
Unfortunately there are one or two members who cannot help but try to score cynical and sarcastic political points when contributing to each and every discussion on almost any subject. At the present rate those threads will be closed too.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Darkroom (25th March 2019), MJ224 (23rd March 2019)
Darkroom (25th March 2019), Gate Keeper (24th March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I also seem to have missed all the excitement! Who said what to whom?
What thread was closed
If you look through the Lounge you will see that several threads have been locked over the last week or two. There was also a thread in the For Sale section that was locked owing to differences of opinion over the strict definition of 'Brand New in Box' or BNIB.

I think the final conclusion was that a brand new lens which had been taken out of its box, fitted to a camera and had a few test shots taken before being returned to said box could no longer be described as BNIB.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 23rd March 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts

I honestly can't understand why we've been afflicted with all this durmst and strang recently. I'd suggest that we adopt what my old granny used to say - "if you can't find something nice to say about someone, say nothing". It might help us to cool things down if we practiced it for a few weeks.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
shenstone (24th March 2019)
Bengeo (24th March 2019), Graham_of_Rainham (24th March 2019), Naughty Nigel (23rd March 2019), peak4 (23rd March 2019), Phill D (24th March 2019), Steveee (29th March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019

Liked 267 Times in 133 Posts

It seems to me that there are members here who reflect the general tendency in society which places a great deal of emphasis on the right to say what they want, when they want with total freedom regardless of the impact. Maybe it’s the Trump effect, he who has been slagging off John McCain in his grave to shore up his following regardless of the impact on McCain’s Family. These days everything is about the rights of the individual, nowhere recently have I heard or read anything about the responsibility of the individual.

I’m appalled by the darts aimed at the administrators. They spend a great deal of time trying to keep this forum balanced and sane and if it’s too anodyne for some, a trip over to DP Review or heaven forebid the BBC football topics, should demonstrate just how good this forum is. There is more than enough bile out there, if it’s time-wasting vitriol that’s wanted, go ahead but not here please.

David
Graham_of_Rainham (24th March 2019), Greytop (25th March 2019), Gwyver (26th March 2019), OM USer (24th March 2019), peak4 (24th March 2019), Phill D (24th March 2019), shenstone (24th March 2019), Zuiko (24th March 2019)
drmarkf (24th March 2019), Gate Keeper (24th March 2019), Gwyver (26th March 2019), Jim Ford (24th March 2019), MJ224 (24th March 2019), Olybirder (25th March 2019), pdk42 (24th March 2019), peak4 (24th March 2019), Phill D (24th March 2019), shotokan101 (24th March 2019), Steveee (29th March 2019)
Old 24th March 2019

Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I honestly can't understand why we've been afflicted with all this durmst and strang recently. I'd suggest that we adopt what my old granny used to say - "if you can't find something nice to say about someone, say nothing". It might help us to cool things down if we practiced it for a few weeks.
This was once one of the most friendly and helpful forums of which I'm a member, but seems to have been faced with some issues since late last summer/autumn.

I've seen a similar situation on my local city forum, where a small number of comparatively new members, posting deliberately confrontational comments, have lead to a sadly necessary higher level of moderation; a much lighter touch was adequate previously.

This aggrieved some of the old school members as well, understandably, as they knew and respected the limits of responsible social discourse.
They then found their own threads being moderated where it earlier wasn't required, as most folks treated each other well, and respected their differences; there was previously much lively debate, but little degeneration into insults; mods just didn't need to get that heavily involved, just like it used to be here.

Regretfully, it's lead to the near demise of one of the best local forums in the country, as most the old guard have largely just given up contributing.
I sincerely hope is doesn't happen here, and urge the "Old Guard" to remain, and not be drawn into what may sometimes seem to be deliberate provocation.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peak4 For This Useful Post:
Phill D (24th March 2019), Wally (24th March 2019)
Gate Keeper (24th March 2019), Greytop (25th March 2019), Gwyver (26th March 2019), Naughty Nigel (24th March 2019), Phill D (24th March 2019)
Old 24th March 2019

Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts

I for one would be very happy to see political subjects barred from the forum (not that I am disinterested - I am passionate about politics). Political discussions on the forum create more heat than light and are of no relevance to photography.

David
Crazy Dave (24th March 2019), drmarkf (24th March 2019), Gate Keeper (24th March 2019), Gwyver (26th March 2019), pdk42 (24th March 2019), Phill D (24th March 2019), shotokan101 (24th March 2019)
Old 24th March 2019

Liked 569 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Ignore list is quite active at the moment, not saying who,...………...

Silly *uck*** just wanna argue about black being white...……..

**st**rds

Reducing my enjoyment of the forum FOR CERTAIN...………..
Ah yes, but at the end of the day, you have wit, sailing and photography to fall back on. By the way, how did you get into organising the photo challenges?? a question I forgot to ask you at Westonbirt. Your belting out some fantastic photos/images. Recently my health has gone down the tubes, despite this it’s the camera and photography which has been keeping me going. Life is too short to get involved in those petty disputes on the forum, the ignore feature certainly is useful. I have never written to any of the moderators here to complain about a post. On another forum, I did put in a complaint about an anti-Semitic post and the thread was closed. Mark, take a break and don’t let it get to you. All that happens to the dissenters posts is no big deal. If the threads are not closed and allowed to run/pan out, the offending posts end up being archived or deleted. Its the moderators role to be able to dish it out, when needed. It’s no good banning anyone, as we know they will be back under another disguise A little photography is much more enjoyable and you are rather good at it

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gate Keeper For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (24th March 2019), Phill D (24th March 2019)
Phill D (24th March 2019)
Old 24th March 2019

Liked 3,699 Times in 1,708 Posts

Thanks Phil.

Maybe its me that should take that break. I am sorry for my outburst, I rose to the bait I guess.....

Anyway the ignore list is working, and I shall go and find that cityscape in the local village..

My Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
Gate Keeper (24th March 2019), Graham_of_Rainham (24th March 2019)
Old 24th March 2019

Liked 245 Times in 161 Posts

This is totally amazing. I simply asked the following simple question in a polite manner:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
It is now over 24 hours since the most recent thread closure. Shenstone stated this was only a temporary measure to allow Admin time to debate.

Are we, as members, going to be given the courtesy of being informed what decision has been reached or is it a case of No Comment and the thread simply to remain closed ?

Jax

Now over 40 posts later members are still getting hot under the collar, debating the rights and wrongs of political debates with one or two of the most self righteous seemingly approaching melt down.

As stated earlier, calm down, take a deep breath guys, it's an online forum not life and death.

If things continue as they currently are, this thread will join the other closed ones but the problem will remain.

Jax
Naughty Nigel (24th March 2019)
Old 24th March 2019

Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,312 Posts
Liked 2,350 Times in 1,120 Posts

Don't take a break Mark just go and take some photographs as Phil said.
I too have broken my own rule not to get drawn in and posted to a couple of inflammatory threads lately. I don't use the ignore feature on the forum just rely on my inbuilt one which is usually pretty good. I personally would like the lounge to continue and for politics to be debated as and when it was wished. Moderation in my view is really good on this forum and should continue at the level it has been. I feel it should be a condition of forum participation that the moderators actions and their joint moral compass is accepted as final arbiter in disputes. It is in all our interests to make this forum as interesting and useful to everyone, in that way it will flourish. I don't see how having a go at anyone is going to help that. If there are members who just want to get their entertainment from stirring up angst then there are other places they can go. If they don't then maybe even I will start to resort to the ignore function. I certainly don't intend to bale out and I hope others don't either. Just count to 3 (or more if you have to) before posting anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (24th March 2019)
Gate Keeper (24th March 2019), Greytop (25th March 2019), OM USer (24th March 2019), peak4 (24th March 2019), shenstone (24th March 2019), Zuiko (24th March 2019)
Old 24th March 2019

Liked 245 Times in 161 Posts

Excellent comment Phill. The only things I would point out is the ignore function is virtually useless as somebody invariably quotes the ignored users comments

Additionally as has been said so many times in the past, members are not under any obligation to visit the debates in the Lounge or anywhere else for that matter.

Jax
Old 24th March 2019

Liked 1,635 Times in 1,047 Posts

Quote:
Anyway the ignore list is working
Yes, I've got a couple on my 'Ignore List' and as a consequence see very little posting that I'd class as offensive, except where they're quoted.

Jim
Gate Keeper (24th March 2019), MJ224 (24th March 2019)