Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 5th March 2019

Liked 2,313 Times in 1,524 Posts
Re: So how do you put money in the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom View Post
Even if you have cash and willing to pay it into the bank, the real trick now is finding a branch that hasn't been closed down.
Our local Barclays branch was closed almost a year ago, along with branches in other small towns and villages around here. Our nearest Barclays branches are now in Durham City, Stockton or Darlington, all of which are at least ten miles away, involve finding somewhere to park and a ten minute walk.

Our branch was always busy and there were often customers queuing out of the door, yet Barclays claimed that "nobody used it".

Only yesterday I heard that Barclays are closing yet more branches in the area, so some communities will be 30 miles away from their nearest branch.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th March 2019

Liked 1,563 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Our local Barclays branch was closed almost a year ago, along with branches in other small towns and villages around here. Our nearest Barclays branches are now in Durham City, Stockton or Darlington, all of which are at least ten miles away, involve finding somewhere to park and a ten minute walk.

Our branch was always busy and there were often customers queuing out of the door, yet Barclays claimed that "nobody used it".

Only yesterday I heard that Barclays are closing yet more branches in the area, so some communities will be 30 miles away from their nearest branch.
The same thing is happening here in my area of Cheshire with Lloyds Bank. They closed the branch in my nearest town Congleton two years ago meaning I had to go 10 miles to Sandbach if I wanted to put money in or a cheque. Then last December they changed that branch to a no counter service branch just somewhere you can go talk to them! Now the nearest one with counter service is in Crewe which is almost 20 miles from where I live.

My Flickr
Old 5th March 2019

Liked 720 Times in 489 Posts

Surely this is part of the cashless, online, automated society that we’re told we all need. We won’t see any benefits from all this but the big corps / banks will increase profits and reduce staff. Everyone’s a winner....... oh! Wait....
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (5th March 2019), wornish (5th March 2019)
Old 5th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Surely this is part of the cashless, online, automated society that we’re told we all need. We won’t see any benefits from all this but the big corps / banks will increase profits and reduce staff. Everyone’s a winner....... oh! Wait....
I don't think the branch staff were ever particularly well paid even when the branches were open.

Does anyone else remember "The Bank Manager", who was to be feared even when you had a healthy balance!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th March 2019

Quote:
I don't think the branch staff were ever particularly well paid even when the branches were open.

Does anyone else remember "The Bank Manager", who was to be feared even when you had a healthy balance!
Id guess they were better paid than most customer facing high street employees, plus they would surely have a few benefits thrown in. The chap I was talking to about specific accounts recently certainly had at least some of the benefits that the account offered.
I wonder if individual banks still have a manager? The younger generation might benefit from having to beg for access to credit instead of having it thrown at them and then not having a clue about managing money.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (5th March 2019)
Old 5th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Id guess they were better paid than most customer facing high street employees, plus they would surely have a few benefits thrown in. The chap I was talking to about specific accounts recently certainly had at least some of the benefits that the account offered.
I wonder if individual banks still have a manager? The younger generation might benefit from having to beg for access to credit instead of having it thrown at them and then not having a clue about managing money.
Barclays have what they call 'Relationship Managers' whatever that means.

They seem to be 'floating' managers who cover the few remaining branches in rotation.

I don't know about begging for loans though. The decisions all seem to be made by computer nowadays so there is probably little to be gained by grovelling to anyone in branch.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
TimP (5th March 2019)
Old 5th March 2019

Liked 869 Times in 555 Posts

Quote:

HSBC closed here a couple of years ago and took their ATM with them. The one remaining ATM in the Barclays branch went AWOL for a fortnight shortly afterwards and the Post Office and the Spar shop rapidly ran out of cash. The local community office organised one of those stand-alone ATM-cum-phone boxes and now we hear that Barclays will close in a couple of months, so we'll be back to one ATM again. The nearest HSBC is a good 45minute drive away, and when Barclays closes it will be half an hour to the next nearest, which if HSBC is anything to go by will also close before long. I've banked with Halifax for years which means an hour's drive but as I do all my banking on line I've hardly ever been into a branch.

The old style bank manager is still alive and kicking in Walmington on Sea .
Old 5th March 2019

Liked 536 Times in 374 Posts

I have long forecast each person being chipped (as in animal) this would be the key to access money (should it be needed) purchase of all goods and services. The business of carrying and counting money would become redundant.
Old 5th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
I have long forecast each person being chipped (as in animal) this would be the key to access money (should it be needed) purchase of all goods and services. The business of carrying and counting money would become redundant.
We will probably have our foreheads barcoded at birth. Only criminals and those with massive chips on their shoulders will be exempted.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th March 2019

Liked 869 Times in 555 Posts

Given the rate of change of technology, newborns' chips or barcodes will probably be unreadable by the time they reach adulthood!
OM USer (5th March 2019)
Old 5th March 2019

Quote:
massive chips on their shoulders
Massive? Shoulders? Thats gonna hurt surely!
Old 5th March 2019

Liked 111 Times in 74 Posts

With great difficulty now Nat West have shut my local branch
Old 5th March 2019

Liked 163 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
I might just try that as it would probably take our Council at least six weeks to pay the cheques in.
Just rub the magnetic inked account and cheque numbers on the bottom of the cheque with a good magnet and it will take even longer !

It would then have to be processed manually as the automated systems would be unable to read the digits, gaining even more time for you

Darkroom
Old 5th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom View Post
Just rub the magnetic inked account and cheque numbers on the bottom of the cheque with a good magnet and it will take even longer !

It would then have to be processed manually as the automated systems would be unable to read the digits, gaining even more time for you

Darkroom
Durham County Council's accounts department would probably put the cheque in their 'too difficult' tray, but it wouldn't stop them from posting out expensive final demands and threats of court action.

Edit: Come to think of it, they have posted such demands for underpayments of two pence in the past, so no change there.

If the banks really wanted to save money they would send our statements in the same envelope rather than showering us with post every month. The DVLA now sends multiple vehicle tax reminders [to registered keepers] in the same envelope if payments fall due at the same time so why can't the banks?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th March 2019

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,233 Times in 803 Posts

I have always been close to a cashless society.
I just did not have any money!

Our local Ulster Bank branch closed ( now a Gregs) they send a mobile bank van one morning a week to a local car park.
First Trust and Credit Union are the only banks in town there used to be five, the next town is also down to one branch.

Ed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Internaut (6th March 2019)