Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th March 2018

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Grrr - really dislike the Olympus Menu setup

I've had my E-M5 for a couple of months now and have to say that whilst I remain generally positive about the camera, there are a couple of things I really dislike! Top of the list is the menu system, no as far as I'm concerned modern digital kit is stuffed to the gills with options I'm probably never going to use, but the number of times I've set something by accident and spent ages try to figure out what I've done and re-set it has been phenomenal Also that EVF - well it certainly doesn't fit my eye with or without glasses and I feel the deeper eye cup for glasses wearers is even worse.

What I do like is the image quality and the customisable function buttons. Over the last month I've decided to invest in some of the 'Pro' lenses, so can't be that bad.

Up to now probably 80% of my photography is done indoors, but I decided to get the 7-14mm lens to get out and about more, so will be getting back into landscape and 'arty' stuff in the coming months. Indoors my 'go to' lens is the rather wonderful 40-150mm, which I think is one of the best lenses I've ever owned, especially with it's close focus ability. One thing I do find odd thought is that when I'm using certain trigger set-ups and manually focusing, it isn't sufficient to just pull back on the focus ring to engage manual focus, but you also have to set the camera to manual focus or it introduces a shutter lag, as if the lens isn't telling the body its set to manual focus! Whilst talking about focus, one of the poorer aspects is the cameras (in)ability to focus in poor light - far worse than my Fuji compacts I used prior to this, but we are talking about a very dark room. But on the whole reasonably please with my Olympus & MFT experience so far.
090657 (7th March 2018), OM USer (7th March 2018)