Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 24th May 2017

Thanked 1,509 Times in 1,437 Posts
Liked 1,436 Times in 916 Posts
Re: Enclosure

It sounds like a very interesting project!

As for this image;

I did not need to scroll this on my 1920 wide monitor and have seen bigger (well wider) on the forum but with Peter agree that 1024x768 (so keeping around the 800 pixel vertival resolutuion) makes good sense unless you are posting a letterbox panaorama.

I thought the hills in the background needed a bit more clarity and/or saturation which John has done admirably and the rest of the picture does benefit from a bit more contrast. I do like the composition and the context of the enclosure in the landscape. I would only change it if there was a bit more wall to the right that could be included by going a bit wider.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (24th May 2017)
Old 24th May 2017

Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
The enclosure provides good foreground interest and, initially at least, it also acts as a strong leading line, drawing the viewer's eye into the scene and making the link with the distant hills. However, as others have already said, there is a problem with it when the wall veers right near its end, potentially leading the eye out of the picture instead of making that all important link with the background. It's not a bad composition by any means, just not quite as good as it might have been but that is the challenge of landscape photography - absolute perfection is very rarely achieved. I still like it and it's definitely a keeper.

It still needs some work though, as the highlights lack definition and contrast, so I have edited it in Elements 10 to show what I think is an improvement. First I tried Auto Smart Fix, which rather surprisingly I often find does fix many issues with a single click. However, in this case I didn't feel it had gone quite far enough, so I made a selection of the background hills and sky and darkened highlights by 12%. I then inverted the selection and darkened the foreground highlights by 5%. Next I returned to the whole image and increased contrast by 10%. Note that these are all fairly minor adjustments, the trick is to not be too bold with the editing. Finally I resized to 864 x 648 pixels, which is a much better fit for most computer screens, and slightly sharpened. I have posted the result below, together with the resized only original for side to side comparison. What do you think? You might not like my edit of course, at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference!

Edited version

Original version
Thanks for taking the trouble.
Certainly more crisp than mine and stronger.
Not sure about the hills being brought forward by increased contrast and definition. I think the aerial perspective on mine is more realistic and how I saw it.
I guess I should have sharpened it for screen. I usually process for printing with LR doing the output sharpening.
Jeff
I usually only use PSE for resizing after processing in LR.
It is good to see that a handheld kit lens shot can be sharp.��
Jeff

Last edited by chorleyjeff; 24th May 2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Zuiko (24th May 2017)
Old 24th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
It sounds like a very interesting project!

As for this image;

I did not need to scroll this on my 1920 wide monitor and have seen bigger (well wider) on the forum but with Peter agree that 1024x768 (so keeping around the 800 pixel vertival resolutuion) makes good sense unless you are posting a letterbox panaorama.

I thought the hills in the background needed a bit more clarity and/or saturation which John has done admirably and the rest of the picture does benefit from a bit more contrast. I do like the composition and the context of the enclosure in the landscape. I would only change it if there was a bit more wall to the right that could be included by going a bit wider.
Thanks for comments.
Please see comments about the altered image.
Seems I need to sharpen up but I'm a bit bothered about making sharpening artefacts.
Jeff
Zuiko (24th May 2017)
Old 24th May 2017
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
Thanks for taking the trouble.
Certainly more crisp than mine and stronger.
Not sure about the hills being brought forward by increased contrast and definition. I think the aerial perspective on mine is more realistic and how I saw it.
I guess I should have sharpened it for screen. I usually process for printing with LR doing the output sharpening.
Jeff
I usually only use PSE for resizing after processing in LR.
It is good to see that a handheld kit lens shot can be sharp.��
Jeff
As I say, post processing is all a matter of personal taste, the important thing is to get a result that you like. Sharpening is also a matter of taste but I find it best to do it subtly in small amounts, a little goes a long way.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th May 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

As promised (threatened ) in my earlier post I've created two more "images" from your original shot. It's actually a game I play sometimes on my own shots to see how many different images I can wring out of one shot, sad I know.

I used DxO Optics Pro for the processing and used Micro Contrast rather than sharpening and applied the Haze filter. For the sake of completeness I also applied the same processing to your original composition which turns out quite similar to john's version with PSE.

I appreciate now this is not what you were lookng for but your fascinating project and photo inspired me to have a go.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (24th May 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (24th May 2017), Zuiko (24th May 2017)
Old 25th May 2017

Thanks to everyone for helpful posts. I am relieved that posts were constructive.
Cheers
Jeff
Old 25th May 2017

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

Great shot but there is something blue behind the wall that does not look natural..maybe photoshop it out.
Old 25th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistnbroke View Post
Great shot but there is something blue behind the wall that does not look natural..maybe photoshop it out.
I assumed it was a white flower/seed head/cotton grass similar to the one in the middle of the enclosure, but blue because it is in shade.
Jeff
Old 25th May 2017

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

doesds not matter if its natural or not ..still looks llike a folded blue tarp ..could not zoom in to check ..personally I would take it out as it pulls the eye
Old 25th May 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

It appears to be a small stream that meanders through a boggy area behind the wall, blue because it is reflecting the blue sky.

To zoom in press and hold CTRL and repeatedly press +. To zoom out hold CTRL and press -. To return to normal hold CTRL and press 0, simples.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 25th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Or..... just press and hold CTRL and use the mouse wheel

You're correct Peter it does look like a small stream, in which case, IMHO it should be left in the photo.

John
I thought the blue reference was to the small bit of blue just behind the wall in the medium foreground. The other blue further back is indeed water. It was a boggy area where I had to be careful where to stand.
I feel an urge to return and look for pictures to take rather than an images from precise grid references.
Jeff
PS
I am surprised that my rather mundane picture has generated interest and I am grateful for the revisions/improvements people have been bothered to take the time do.
Jeff
The Following User Says Thank You to chorleyjeff For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (25th May 2017)
Old 25th May 2017

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
I am surprised that my rather mundane picture has generated interest and I am grateful for the revisions/improvements people have been bothered to take the time do.
Jeff
It illustrates that proper constructive criticism of images is fun and educative for all involved.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 5th June 2017

Liked 2,324 Times in 1,531 Posts

I always like the feeling of wide open spaces, which this photograph captures well. That said I do prefer John's edited version.

The differences are subtle, but I find that my eye is drawn to the mountains in the distance, whereas the original somehow drew my eye to the pile of stones comprising the wall at the bottom left, and little further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Edited version

Original version

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Zuiko (5th June 2017)
Old 5th June 2017

Thanks for thoughts.
The subject was the pile of stones thatsed to be some sort of enclosure in a remote location. Having sharp contrasts hills in the distance brings them forward and makes the picture more of a landscape shot.
Jeff