Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 21st May 2017

Liked 85 Times in 36 Posts
Bempton Cliffs: Tesni Ward Workshop - Image Heavy

Paul (pdk42) has already posted a couple of threads regarding the one day Coastal Birds workshop run by Tesni Ward that we attended. I am much slower sorting through images than he is but I have finally managed to process some to share.

The workshop was excellent and, as there were only three attendees, Tesni was able to give each of us plenty of attention, advice on camera settings and shooting tips. The pointers towards good composition were particularly helpful, though often forgotten in the heat of the moment. The location was spectacular, I've never seen so many seabirds all together in one place before

Here is a selection from the day, firstly gannets. They could be seen very close to when they came to the top of the cliff to collect nesting material:-

I was photographing a pair but the other one to the left gave me such a look!

Gannets apparently pair for life and will display when meeting again.

Paul and I must have been following the same bird as I have almost the identical shot to one he posted - because the group moved around together we inevitably have some similar shots

The shot above involved a lot of PP work removing out-of-focus black flies, thousands of which were buzzing around the top of the cliffs. One even crawled out of my clothes when I got home the next day

Like Paul, I had never seen a puffin before (apart from the row of plastic ones that fooled me on Ramsey Island, put there as lures ) so I was pleased to see a few.

I managed to get some shots of one as it flew away.

Kittiwakes were numerous on the cliffs; loads of them were flying to a field behind the reserve and coming back with nesting material.

Quite some time was spent in the afternoon attempting BIF shots - the E-M1 Mk 2 seemed to cope much better than the Mk 1 or the E-5. First a kittiwake then a fulmar, a few of which were whizzing around.

All images taken with the E-M1 Mk 2 and Leica DG 100-400mm f/4 - 6.3 and processed in Darktable - exposure, profiled NR, fly removal in one image and some cropping.

I found the workshop very useful and extremely enjoyable, hopefully I learnt something and I'm keen to do another one

Cheers,

JohnGG
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bengeo (21st May 2017), David M (21st May 2017), DavyG (22nd May 2017), drmarkf (21st May 2017), Hemlockwood (21st May 2017), IainMacD (21st May 2017), Johnheatingman (21st May 2017), MJ224 (21st May 2017), Olybirder (21st May 2017), OM USer (21st May 2017), PeterBirder (22nd May 2017), Thomas Westhead (21st May 2017)
Old 21st May 2017

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts
Re: Bempton Cliffs: Tesni Ward Workshop - Image Heavy

The third shot with the look from the third Gannet is hilarious. It should be posted in its own thread as a caption competition.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
The Following User Says Thank You to David M For This Useful Post:
JohnGG (21st May 2017)
Old 21st May 2017
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGG View Post

The shot above involved a lot of PP work removing out-of-focus black flies, thousands of which were buzzing around the top of the cliffs. One even crawled out of my clothes when I got home the next day

JohnGG
They must have looked like dust bunnies - you should have left them and pretended you shot with a Canon or Nikon.

Wow, this is a super set, a real treat to look at. The course was obviously money well spent!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
JohnGG (21st May 2017)
Old 21st May 2017

Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,309 Posts
Liked 2,348 Times in 1,118 Posts

I agree with David shot number 3 is a definite caption candidate. How about "does my backside look big in this plumage?"
Overall more cracking shots from what looks like a great workshop. Both lenses seem to have performed pretty well in the situation. As I don't have either I just wondered how you feel a 40-150 pls 1.4 would do at Bempton? Would it be too short or can you get close enough to use it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
JohnGG (21st May 2017)
Old 21st May 2017

Liked 3,672 Times in 1,699 Posts

[QUOTE=Phill D;414959]I agree with David shot number 3 is a definite caption candidate. How about "does my backside look big in this plumage?"
QUOTE]

Yes No 3 reminds me of the Oomiguli bird.........

All great shots and very pleased to see you used the Leica 100-400mm lens. Just saved me 2500 odd

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
JohnGG (21st May 2017)
Old 21st May 2017

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts

Great shots John. I like the Puffin with its head cocked to one side. Very cute!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
JohnGG (21st May 2017)
Old 21st May 2017

Liked 85 Times in 36 Posts

Thank you all for the kind comments

I realise that razorbills and guillemots do not feature in my selection. My guillemot shots look rather messy with no particular point of interest, just a huddle of birds never close enough to pick out an individual. Razorbills did come closer as individuals but I struggled to correctly expose for them, usually resulting in a completely black head with no features discernible. I'll see if I can find a borderline shot of one that can be rescued in PP.

I was pleased with the way the E-M1 Mk 2 and the Leica DG 100-400 performed. The AF is streets ahead of the Mk 1 and the larger grip and battery holder meant that the outfit was comfortable to carry all day. The zoom range of the lens gave lots of flexibility, it is well built, compact considering the range and focal length, and the IQ was excellent. One quibble is that the zoom ring operates in the opposite direction to Olympus zoom so muscle memory means that I zoom out when I want in and vice versa

Excellent though the Leica is, I agree with Paul that the Olympus 300mm f/4 has it pipped for IQ. It is outstanding

Cheers,

JohnGG

Last edited by JohnGG; 21st May 2017 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd May 2017

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts

Very nice set John, it looks like you made the most of your day at Bempton.

Thanks for sharing your images.

Dave
Old 22nd May 2017

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
I just wondered how you feel a 40-150 pls 1.4 would do at Bempton? Would it be too short or can you get close enough to use it?
I visited Bempton twice with the 40-150 and MC-14 and managed to get some decent images.

I was really keen to get back there with the 300mm, which is great for Bempton however, at one stage I had to change to just the 40-150 mm as the birds were coming so close.

The 40-150mm and MC-14 will do the job, you may have to crop however, the lens IQ should allow this without difficulty.

Dave
Old 22nd May 2017

Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,309 Posts
Liked 2,348 Times in 1,118 Posts

Brilliant Dave thanks for that comment. Looks like I'll be joining the RSPB and adding Bempton on to my growing list of places to go to