Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II The first OM-D's successor.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 22nd February 2015
Simon Bee's Avatar
Simon Bee Simon Bee is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 142
Thanked 211 Times in 180 Posts
Likes: 421
Liked 296 Times in 187 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Simon, I'm surprised there's no fast, manual focus primes on your list. The Voigtlander and SLR Magic f/0.95 lenses appeal to me.
I have already got them covered David, well at least 'fast enough for me'. As well as the Pana/Leica primes I am looking forward to using my Leica M 75mm F2.0 APO Asph. and 135mm F4 Tele Elmar. Then there are also the OM 50mm F1.2, 50mm F2.0 macro, 100mm F2.0 and 135mm F2.8.

The F0.95 Voightlanders are interesting and indeed rather good but with what I already have in the way of MF primes I am not going to be tempted ..... honestly.

Kind regards, Simon
__________________
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
― Henri Cartier-Bresson
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22nd February 2015
David M's Avatar
David M David M is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A Brit now living in Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,605
Thanks: 39
Thanked 678 Times in 640 Posts
Likes: 254
Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

I can see where you're coming from Simon. I'm in a similar position with a collection of MF primes but some of the m4/3 fitting MF primes are tempting me to buy a body.
__________________
It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 22nd February 2015
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 8,330
Thanks: 456
Thanked 590 Times in 512 Posts
Likes: 2,651
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,044 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Simon, I'm surprised there's no fast, manual focus primes on your list. The Voigtlander and SLR Magic f/0.95 lenses appeal to me.
My recollection of "fast primes" in film days is that they were mainly useful when wide open for focussing in poor light. They were not very sharp wide open and needed to be stopped down for the actual shot - to the more usual f8 (at 1/123 sec).

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 23rd February 2015
Simon Bee's Avatar
Simon Bee Simon Bee is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 142
Thanked 211 Times in 180 Posts
Likes: 421
Liked 296 Times in 187 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
My recollection of "fast primes" in film days is that they were mainly useful when wide open for focussing in poor light. They were not very sharp wide open and needed to be stopped down for the actual shot - to the more usual f8 (at 1/123 sec).

Jim
True Jim, but the Voightlander F0.95's are very modern digital designs manufactured specifically for the M4/3 format, they are all very good from wide open.

Kind regards, Simon
__________________
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
― Henri Cartier-Bresson
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 23rd February 2015
snerkler snerkler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 883
Thanks: 316
Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Likes: 222
Liked 386 Times in 97 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Thought I'd hijack the this thread rather than start another, but another guinea pig here. Ordered it last week with the 12-40mm f2.8. Not sure when it will arrive as the official date is 6th March, plus 3-4 days to ship. However, the Olly rep at the weekend said they're trying to fulfil pre-orders by the end of the month, ie this week
The bag will be sold to recoup a bit of cash
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 27th February 2015
Simon Bee's Avatar
Simon Bee Simon Bee is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 142
Thanked 211 Times in 180 Posts
Likes: 421
Liked 296 Times in 187 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Tomorrow "could' be the day !

Carmarthen Cameras phoned me earlier to say my em5 mkII is 'in stock and waiting for me'

I say "could" because it's an eighty mile round trip to Carmarthen and my wife has 'other plans' for the day so I may have to postpone collecting it until later in the new week

I'm trying to 'sweeten her' with the offer of a morning or afternoon of shopping in the town during which I'll happily buy her a new pair of shoes however so far no luck

Ah well perhaps I should pop the kettle on, make her a cup of hot chocolate and present it with big 'pretty-please' eyes, normally her 'trick' on me.

Has anyone else who has pre-ordered had 'the nod' from their dealer yet ?

Time to go and make the hot chocolate and cross ones fingers .

Kind regards, Simon
__________________
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
― Henri Cartier-Bresson
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 27th February 2015
Phill D's Avatar
Phill D Phill D is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 9,839
Thanks: 1,182
Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,308 Posts
Likes: 1,037
Liked 2,347 Times in 1,117 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Good luck Simon.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Simon Bee (27th February 2015)
  #23  
Old 27th February 2015
snerkler snerkler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 883
Thanks: 316
Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Likes: 222
Liked 386 Times in 97 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Tomorrow "could' be the day !

Carmarthen Cameras phoned me earlier to say my em5 mkII is 'in stock and waiting for me'

I say "could" because it's an eighty mile round trip to Carmarthen and my wife has 'other plans' for the day so I may have to postpone collecting it until later in the new week

I'm trying to 'sweeten her' with the offer of a morning or afternoon of shopping in the town during which I'll happily buy her a new pair of shoes however so far no luck

Ah well perhaps I should pop the kettle on, make her a cup of hot chocolate and present it with big 'pretty-please' eyes, normally her 'trick' on me.

Has anyone else who has pre-ordered had 'the nod' from their dealer yet ?

Time to go and make the hot chocolate and cross ones fingers .

Kind regards, Simon
Lucky sod I've not heard a peep about mine. I was hoping to get it this week based on the Olly rep saying they were trying to fulfil pre-orders by the end of the month, but he did say that shops would get their pre-orders first. I've not even had a dispatch notification yet, and then shipping is supposed to be 3-4 days
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 27th February 2015
Simon Bee's Avatar
Simon Bee Simon Bee is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 142
Thanked 211 Times in 180 Posts
Likes: 421
Liked 296 Times in 187 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Good luck Simon.

Thanks Phil,

Hot chocolate made ....... so here goes.

Anyway, they say waiting heightens the pleasure

Regards, Simon
__________________
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
― Henri Cartier-Bresson
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 27th February 2015
Wee man's Avatar
Wee man Wee man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle Co. Down N. Ireland
Posts: 8,000
Thanks: 2,392
Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Likes: 281
Liked 1,233 Times in 803 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Up early and waiting at the door at opening time, then a quick drive home in time to get in line with the day which has been planned out for you?
__________________
Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 27th February 2015
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 5,710
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Likes: 150
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Why not just get it shipped Simon? RMSD next day by 1pm? Cheaper than an 80mile round trip when you look at the real cost of motoring!
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 27th February 2015
Simon Bee's Avatar
Simon Bee Simon Bee is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 142
Thanked 211 Times in 180 Posts
Likes: 421
Liked 296 Times in 187 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Lucky sod I've not heard a peep about mine. I was hoping to get it this week based on the Olly rep saying they were trying to fulfil pre-orders by the end of the month, but he did say that shops would get their pre-orders first. I've not even had a dispatch notification yet, and then shipping is supposed to be 3-4 days

Hopefully you'll here something soon, something good that is

Regards, Simon
__________________
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
― Henri Cartier-Bresson
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Bee For This Useful Post:
snerkler (27th February 2015)
  #28  
Old 27th February 2015
Simon Bee's Avatar
Simon Bee Simon Bee is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 142
Thanked 211 Times in 180 Posts
Likes: 421
Liked 296 Times in 187 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Up early and waiting at the door at opening time, then a quick drive home in time to get in line with the day which has been planned out for you?
Great minds think alike .......already thought of that Ed but it depends on what is 'planned'.

Regards, Simon
__________________
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
― Henri Cartier-Bresson
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 27th February 2015
Simon Bee's Avatar
Simon Bee Simon Bee is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 142
Thanked 211 Times in 180 Posts
Likes: 421
Liked 296 Times in 187 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Why not just get it shipped Simon? RMSD next day by 1pm? Cheaper than an 80mile round trip when you look at the real cost of motoring!
Quite right Paul and indeed it would be cheaper. It's just I haven't been down to their store for a while and I like to make a visit when I can as I prefer to 'show my face' and have a chat for a half hour or so, which IMO really does help build a better dealer/customer relationship and being a retailer myself that is something I am very particular about.

Carmarthen is rather a nice town so it would make for a good day out. If we go I/we will likely spend some more money in some of the 'local' family run business ( as opposed to the 'big nationals' ) which helps Carmarthens local economy and high street diversity too. If I'm going to be off shopping anyway I would prefer to 'kill two birds with one stone' as the saying goes

Regards, Simon
__________________
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
― Henri Cartier-Bresson
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 27th February 2015
snerkler snerkler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 883
Thanks: 316
Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Likes: 222
Liked 386 Times in 97 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Quite right Paul and indeed it would be cheaper. It's just I haven't been down to their store for a while and I like to make a visit when I can as I prefer to 'show my face' and have a chat for a half hour or so, which IMO really does help build a better dealer/customer relationship and being a retailer myself that is something I am very particular about.

Carmarthen is rather a nice town so it would make for a good day out. If we go I/we will likely spend some more money in some of the 'local' family run business ( as opposed to the 'big nationals' ) which helps Carmarthens local economy and high street diversity too. If I'm going to be off shopping anyway I would prefer to 'kill two birds with one stone' as the saying goes

Regards, Simon
Is that another way of saying you're too excited to wait for delivery?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:16 PM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger