Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 14th October 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,272 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts
Re: Very Disappointed In Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Well, Well, WELL It seems like a bit of heavy speculation got you all an update from Olympus ... via Ian

Now everyone knows where they stand with their pre order
No, I saw a problem and fixed it - no thanks at all to you Chevvy. There were legitimate concerns about additional delays and those I addressed. And there are no additional delays. You taking credit for that is complete nonsense. Instead you posted uninformed speculation that simply made matters worse.

You have your camera, enjoy it and please avoid posting in E-M1 supply issue threads from now on unless you have something genuinely useful to contribute.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
wellyboot (14th October 2013), Zuiko (14th October 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bruce Clarke (14th October 2013), StephenL (14th October 2013)
Old 14th October 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
Thanks for this, Ian.

Speaking personally as someone who was told by Olympus that I would definitely be in the prioritised batch for delivery this week (and indeed posted that on here), I have now been told it's a further 2 weeks wait.

What are we to believe?
Will there be a further delay in 2 weeks time?

No-one can say for sure it seems.

We're talking a relatively large amount of money here, and the communication is still confused/poor from Olympus.

Also, many of us have seen our credit/debit cards charged 2 weeks plus since, which adds salt to the wound.

It is assuming a lot of patience, and loyalty from us pre-orderers isn't it?

Those that have paid have the choice to cancel or sit and face a further wait.
I will do the latter, but under protest.
Please let me know by PM details of the name and email address under which you placed your order and I will verify if you are still on the initial batch going out this week.

I am aware that Mark Shayler from Olympus has emailed all those waiting for cameras and he conveyed exactly the same message from last week. However, it does now appear that those who are on the list to get their cameras this week received the same email. If you are one of those and you have been told you will definitely get a camera this week, that email was not for you.

Ian

Old 14th October 2013

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Please let me know by PM details of the name and email address under which you placed your order and I will verify if you are still on the initial batch going out this week.

I am aware that Mark Shayler from Olympus has emailed all those waiting for cameras and he conveyed exactly the same message from last week. However, it does now appear that those who are on the list to get their cameras this week received the same email. If you are one of those and you have been told you will definitely get a camera this week, that email was not for you.

Ian
Thanks, Ian. PM sent
Old 14th October 2013
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Update:

I have heard from Olympus re; shop orders just now: There is NO change to the camera supply situation. Some lucky ones will get their camera this week and the rest (apart from 12-40 kits) will get theirs early in November (about 3 weeks from now). 12-40 kits will follow after that.

Ian
Many thanks Ian. I suspect that's the way it's going to stay so I'll carry on with my trusty E3 and be patient. Appreciate your efforts to keep us as informed as you possibly can.

cheers

Hec
Simon (15th October 2013)
Old 14th October 2013

Liked 129 Times in 69 Posts

Olympus seem to be somewhere between a rock and a hard place!

They could have quietly stockpiled enough cameras (and presumably annoyed their bean counters by doing so) but in staid went for a release as supplies became available, annoying those who were disappointed. They might have fulfilled shop orders before supplying dealers and so annoyed their dealer base but they rationed the supplies and annoyed those who assumed that the online shop would get priority.

(Keeping customers poorly informed is a bad show; charging people for goods they couldn't supply in a timely manner was worse. These folks definitely deserve sympathy.)

I attended the pre-release demo teaser that was held in some sort of partnership with Harrisons in Sheffield. Still preferring bricks and mortar to internet trade I ordered a body there and then. If the shop gets all the next stocks first then I shall be hard put not to have a jolly good whinge about it.
The Following User Liked This Post:
jamsa (14th October 2013)
Old 14th October 2013
Administrator

I have been able to reassure a couple of people who believed that they were on the list for first deliveries that they are definitely still there, regardless of the email they received which caused them to think their order was delayed unexpectedly. One other, unfortunately, had a chance of making the list but didn't but he now knows what his situation is.

So - it's just that same as last week; some will get their cameras this week but most will get them in about 3 weeks from now, unless you ordered a 12-40 kit, when yours will arrive a little later.

Ian

The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (14th October 2013)
Old 14th October 2013

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
I have been able to reassure a couple of people who believed that they were on the list for first deliveries that they are definitely still there, regardless of the email they received which caused them to think their order was delayed unexpectedly. One other, unfortunately, had a chance of making the list but didn't but he now knows what his situation is.

So - it's just that same as last week; some will get their cameras this week but most will get them in about 3 weeks from now, unless you ordered a 12-40 kit, when yours will arrive a little later.

Ian
I bet you never thought that the trip to Ireland was going to be the calm before the storm!
There's no doubt a few pre-release purchasers do deserve a nice apology from Olympus for some of the more obvious mistakes, but it does seem that Olympus also owe you a big thank you for helping to try to quell the storm waves created in our anxiety to see the camera ASAP.
It's been a difficult balancing act for you, and I'm sure quite a stressful time despite the fact that you are only the messenger, but I hope that the silent voices of those more patient or lucky to have ordered the 12-40mm kits (which were known to be due later than the E-M1 itself) will also be soothing your furrowed brow. As Olympus is beginning to react to the stock versus orders conflict, so hopefully you will be able to relax and enjoy what most of us think is a job well done!
And Olympus, please make sure that you give Ian a well deserved thank you (or at least the OMD E-M1 lens cloth!!) for when the dust has settled.

Regards
Chris

PS: November is my Christmas and, like a child waiting beside the Christmas tree, I really hope that item on the top of my present list is there wrapped in a UPS sticker. Now how do I practice my petulant pout?!!
The Following User Says Thank You to catkins For This Useful Post:
bilbo (14th October 2013)
paullus (15th October 2013)
Old 14th October 2013

Liked 116 Times in 79 Posts

I agree that speculation about the delays is unhelpful... there can be many different reasons. Anyone that has worked in a product development environment for a reasonable length of time will be well-versed in the pitfalls that can crop up - the suggestions here cover only a small percentage of situations that can cause delay.

As has been said before, Olympus' biggest failing has been lack of communication. The performance of the online shop in this regard has been pitiful, and certainly not acceptable from an international company. If I were in my current position and I knew I could get my order from another source, I would cancel immediately. However, the situation is that I want the items I ordered and I doubt I'd get them any quicker elsewhere.

I'd like to think that Olympus would recognise the patience and loyalty of its customers and offer a suitable reward, but that may be wishful thinking .

Steve
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raichea For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (15th October 2013), jamsa (14th October 2013), Xenon (14th October 2013)
brian1208 (15th October 2013), Chevvyf1 (15th October 2013), Grumpy Hec (15th October 2013), jamsa (14th October 2013)
Old 15th October 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
No, I saw a problem and fixed it - no thanks at all to you Chevvy. There were legitimate concerns about additional delays and those I addressed. And there are no additional delays. You taking credit for that is complete nonsense. Instead you posted uninformed speculation that simply made matters worse.

You have your camera, enjoy it and please avoid posting in E-M1 supply issue threads from now on unless you have something genuinely useful to contribute.

Ian

Ian, just a few points

I have an order direct with Olympus - Nicks E-5 replacement with Grip & Adaptor ! Nicks choice of supplier, not mine!

I have had something genuinely useful to contribute here, many times

I never took any credit - I did give it to you and this forum ! vis

... " ... Well, Well, WELL It seems like a bit of heavy speculation got you all an update from Olympus ... via Ian

Now everyone knows where they stand with their pre order " ..

If I had no concerns about a delivery from Olympus - I sure would not be in "here"

I am using my One but not posting images here, well on the forum - nor anywhere, as it may upset those waiting being "in your face" !

Tx
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
jamsa (15th October 2013), Roy Clarke (18th October 2013), Xenon (15th October 2013)
Old 15th October 2013

Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post

Now everyone knows where they stand with their pre order "
Not everyone, but only those that have pre-ordered direct from Olympus.
Ian is kindly finding out what the retailer situation is for those of us who opted to pre-order from a UK dealer.
jamsa (15th October 2013), Simon (15th October 2013), StephenL (15th October 2013)
Old 15th October 2013
Administrator

Dealer orders will follow a fairly similar pattern. Next body only stocks should be in to dealers at the beginning of November (so about 2 weeks give or take a few days).

12-40 kits will be in the first half of November. 12-50 kits should be in stock before the others.

Ian

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (15th October 2013), paullus (15th October 2013), Wee man (19th October 2013), wellyboot (15th October 2013)
Old 15th October 2013

Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Hi Ian,

Do you know which courier they use for the direct orders?

Best regards

Chris
Old 15th October 2013

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I believe it's DHL. At least I was promised a DHL tracking number when shipped.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcwill For This Useful Post:
G2EWS (15th October 2013)
Old 15th October 2013

Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Dealer orders will follow a fairly similar pattern. Next body only stocks should be in to dealers at the beginning of November (so about 2 weeks give or take a few days).

12-40 kits will be in the first half of November. 12-50 kits should be in stock before the others.

Ian
Thank you so much for this info Ian. I really appreciate it.
All I have to do now is try and be patient for 2 weeks - not easy for us women!!
It does look like it will be worth the wait though!
Old 15th October 2013

Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Well done Olympus!

Just received email to say mine will be on it's way tomorrow and I will also receive a tracking code.

That is the way to do it.

Regards

Chris
jamsa (15th October 2013)