Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 30th July 2009
jonsey

Thumbs up fl36 IR focus assist

Hi ladies and gents,

this is my first post, long time watcher, great info.

anyway, i have a `510 coupled with a fl36, my question/problem is, how do i get the IR focus assist to work even in moderate light i can`t get the system to lock, any idea what im diong wrong? would app. some settings or knowledge.
Old 30th July 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: fl36 IR focus assist

Sounds like the AF Illumination just needs turning on - It's found under spanner one in the menu - look for "AF ILLUMINAT." and set it to ON. Remember though that if left on that your camera will turn into an annoying strobe if you dont have the FL36 in place.
Old 30th July 2009

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

As Paul highlights you need to have it 'on' in the camera menu, and you also need to have it 'on' in the flash unit menu as well I believe.

Regarding the comment about turning it off to avoid the annoying pop up flash AF appearing when you don't want it - just have the auto pop up switched off. Then you only have to worry about it when you have decided to use the pop up.

It's not IR, it's visible red. You should be able to clearly see it in the viewfinder if it's working.

You need a still subject and camera with a useful range of about 15ft. It's not a miracle worker and with moving people in low light I tend to switch to a pre set MF mode at a chosen working distance/framing, increase to F8 and just concentrate on matching the framing and distance each shot.
Old 31st July 2009
jonsey

photo owl, paul,
thanks for the replies, i will check my settings and give that a shot, il postback my findings.....

cheers
Old 2nd August 2009
jonsey

hi chaps,
all sorted, system is now working, its usefulness is limited as you say, but it does lock, on the odd occaision, thanks for your wisdom...

jeff