Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 7th July 2019

Liked 548 Times in 189 Posts
Re: LCE em1x

I can't really understand the angst here. We do have choices and Olympus make plenty of small cameras. The EM1 Mk2 with v3 firmware is an excellent camera and very close to the EM1X for performance. Hopefully a smaller EM5 is coming soon.

I also can't understand the talk about putting a full frame sensor in the EM1X. You would lose a lot of the features that rely on fast movement of data and it would be just another full frame camera competing with many. Its big advantage is when coupled with the bigger telephoto lenses. People like Andy Rouse are amazed that they can easily handhold gear that gives them good enough results that needed a 600mm f4 before. Check out his tiger images here: https://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?b=1

I'm glad that Olympus are providing a range of gear.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (8th July 2019)
Old 7th July 2019

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,139 Posts

Not really angst here Andy just a scientific curiosity to be honest. Plus a desire to see Olympus prosper in the future. Hopefully they can do that with m4/3, time will tell. I'm pretty happy with what I have.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Bengeo (7th July 2019)
Old 7th July 2019

Liked 130 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
However, what I can't understand now that they have a large body in the 1X is why they can't just open it up a bit and fit in a full frame sensor. Couldn't they then make either an extension tube or an add in lens to get the images from existing m4/3 lenses to fill the sensor?...
No, you'd need a new set of lenses.

Steve
Old 7th July 2019

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,139 Posts

Yes that's what the other manufacturers have done Steve so i'm sure you are right but I just dont understand the physics to back that up.
Old 7th July 2019

Liked 1,789 Times in 662 Posts

The body isn't the important issue here - it's the system.

The EM1X is marginally bigger than a EM1 mk ii + grip.

The lens performance and size differential is the BIG issue here, not the body size.

If you are doing street photography, then the Pen F is for you.

If you are doing extreme wildlife photography, then the upcoming 150-400 + MC20 and the EM1X are for you... Has anyone done a size comparison for this system vs the 35mm sensor sized system? (and price!)

It's a niche camera, and developed for a specific goal - get pros using it at the Olympics, I don't think Olympus have gained what they're after yet with this camera.

Once the Olympics are over hopefully more of the developments will filter down the range and improve all of the cameras, it's certainly what has been hinted at in all the Olympus interviews that have been made since the EM1mk ii was launched.

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bengeo (8th July 2019), MJ224 (7th July 2019), Ross the fiddler (8th July 2019)
Old 7th July 2019

Liked 246 Times in 153 Posts

Like many others, it was the small size and low weight of the Olympus cameras that initially attracted me to the brand but, being an enthusiast for natural history photography, I soon found that the real advantage came when using telephoto lenses.

If I were a professional sports/natural history photographer, I would certainly give the E-M1x consideration for that reason alone. I would also want the 'professional' features of a camera such as Nikon D5, so I can appreciate the Olympus marketing strategy.

see: https://camerasize.com/compact/#812.506,649.476,ha,t

When I used Nikon, I had a D300s and never felt drawn to the 'professional' models. I have the same feeling with Olympus - no desire for the E-M1x but I think it is important for Olympus to gain a presence in the 'professional' sector.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (7th July 2019), Ross the fiddler (8th July 2019)
Old 7th July 2019

Liked 194 Times in 132 Posts

this is going over old ground again, but from the discussions I've read here and elsewhere, I think the E-M1X is not aimed at existing M43 users. It is aimed at 35mm SLR users who shoot sports, wildlife etc and want a body with the size and grip and buttons and rear screen and ergonomics of a large camera but with the more affordable and manageable lens sizes of the M43 system.
Old 7th July 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
this is going over old ground again, but from the discussions I've read here and elsewhere, I think the E-M1X is not aimed at existing M43 users. It is aimed at 35mm SLR users who shoot sports, wildlife etc and want a body with the size and grip and buttons and rear screen and ergonomics of a large camera but with the more affordable and manageable lens sizes of the M43 system.
I'd love to know the stats for people swapping into m43 because of the EM1x. My suspicion is very few, but i could be wrong.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 7th July 2019

Quote:
Yes that's what the other manufacturers have done Steve so i'm sure you are right but I just dont understand the physics to back that up.
I'm sure an adapter could be made, but it would need to spread the image out over a larger area. It would be similar to a teleconverter, but it would preserve the entire image circle. To cover an FF sensor at 4x the area of m43, you'd need effectively a 2x teleconverter which would lose 2 stops of aperture. On top of that, you'd have lenses which would be too wide. 12-40 on m43 is a nice standard zoom. 12-40 on FF would be a UWA zoom. I doubt that sharpness could be adequately preserved doing something as extreme as this.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 7th July 2019

Liked 242 Times in 57 Posts

The E-M1X is aimed at sport and wild life IF they make the sensor bigger the reach is smaller and less DOF
Not quite the idea behind it .

Rob.
Old 7th July 2019

Liked 130 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
The image circle produced by m4/3 (4/3) lenses would only fit the centre of a FF chip, leaving a large area of the chip around the outside of the image circle black. FF lenses produce much bigger image circles that encompass the whole FF chip.

Steve
Old 8th July 2019

Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,043 Posts
Liked 2,176 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I feel for Olympus in many ways. The sensor size puts a cap on what our expectations are of size and price. An FF sports camera (mirrorless or DSLR) can be the size of the Nikon D5 and cost £4k, but a m43 camera that passes the £2k mark or that surpasses the size of a compact FF mirrorless (e.g. Sony A7) will be dismissed for being too big and too expensive.

And it's got nothing to do with how good the camera's features and performance are, nor whether its IQ is good enough for the intended purpose. It's just the sensor size. That's how the digital camera market has evolved.

That's why I say it was a wrong-footed move for Olympus. It was clear to me, and I think to many knowledgeable enthusiasts, that the EM1x would be seen as too big and too expensive for its sensor size by the market as a whole. I'm not saying that there aren't existing m43 users who find it right for them (as many of the wildlife guys here will attest), but that's a very small niche.

Meanwhile, we still await the EM5iii - but it looks like August may bring us good news.
This is where I think Olympus has done the right thing (so long as they can bring more AI modes soon as well), but more for it being a show piece there at the top & attracting buyers to lower models (as they come), plus it would be something Olympus would hope, along with the 150-400 lens, would stand out (hopefully) at next year's olympics.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 8th July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
This is where I think Olympus has done the right thing (so long as they can bring more AI modes soon as well), but more for it being a show piece there at the top & attracting buyers to lower models (as they come), plus it would be something Olympus would hope, along with the 150-400 lens, would stand out (hopefully) at next year's olympics.
I've heard that "show piece" view before Ross (show piece implying money-losing). But I can't understand why any company would willingly spend money and precious R&D resource on a product that they knew would lose money beforehand. I'm sure someone at Olympus really believed that this was a potential big seller!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 8th July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I've heard that "show piece" view before Ross (show piece implying money-losing). But I can't understand why any company would willingly spend money and precious R&D resource on a product that they knew would lose money beforehand. I'm sure someone at Olympus really believed that this was a potential big seller!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 8th July 2019

Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,043 Posts
Liked 2,176 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
But the R&D isn't wasted as it will be used (to some degree) in following models as well. Unfortunately, some existing M4/3's users have this idea that "Micro" means a small camera (& lenses) & are critical of the overall size of this camera. Perhaps it was short-sightedness initially with marketing the beginning of Micro Four Thirds to use such a name with users expecting everything to be 'micro' small (& for FF die-hard critics to refer to the sensor as 'tiny'), so now they (Olympus Marketing) have to emphasise the 'portability' of the system. Just like Canon has the 1DX it's not for everybody, so the E-M1X is for Olympus users, covering the upper range of needs. The E-M1X will be the best body to use with the coming 150-400 F4.5 lens likely being in the same price bracket (i.e. double the price of the body) & obviously only targeted at professionals or serious (& rich) enthusiasts, just like the ZD300mm F2.8 DSLR & the 90-250mm lenses were.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).