Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 17th March 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts
Re: Forum Sill Plagued With Gateway Problems

Some of the language being quoted here as being racist or otherwise offensive is right over my head, sorry. For example, I have never heard of the term 'gammons' before. I have just looked it up and there seems to be some debate as to whether it's racist or not.

The context and the implications are probably more important.

Myself and the moderators can't read and vet every single word that gets input into the forum. We rely on the reporting of posts. If anyone, no matter of which side of a debate or argument, feels someone has acted in an a maliciously insulting or otherwise disrespectful way, then we will do our best, without 'bias' to sort it out.

Sometimes, though, the disrespect is very obvious. I did find the reference to 'snowflakes' insulting, personally (which I emphasised at the time), but there was more than the patronising 'snowflake' jibe in that thread and that is why I wholeheartedly supported the decision to deal with it.

As I believe we have explained before, this online community is focused on Olympus and related photography. We don't need an off-topic area. If anyone feels they are dependent on it to the point that it might dictate whether or not they continue to enjoy the e-group, then I respectfully suggest that there are other sites that might be better suited for this type of discussion.

I can see that the off topic board's presence could DEVALUE the core ideals of the site. But... its absence would not.

I don't want to get rid of it, but it will be closed if continued dissatisfaction about its content persists.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
shenstone (17th March 2019)
Old 17th March 2019

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Gosh, I never thought that there's been a lot of griping and 'tale telling' PM's to moderators going on behind the scenes!

I've been outspoken and invited brickbats in the past, but it's never occurred to me to complain about it. When I can't stand the heat, I'll get out of the kitchen!

Jim
Me neither Jim. If large numbers of people feel the need to contact Admin by PM I would suggest that either something is seriously wrong, or that they have a problem.

I think I have reported two posts in my time here, both of which were clearly out of order (trolling or seriously offensive), and which were swiftly removed.

You and I have disagreed many times on political matters, but I would hope that we are able to remain objective on technical and photographic matters?

Unfortunately there is a general problem in our society that far to many people are unable to disagree with each other without falling out, and I daresay this forum is no different.

I have no wish to see anyone leave because they feel unwelcome, and I certainly hope that nobody has ever left because of anything I have posted; but my point remains: if the forum is reliant on donations requested from members then I believe it is only reasonable that the membership as a whole (not just those who have contributed) should be afforded some freedom of speech.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Jax (17th March 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Otto (17th March 2019)
Old 17th March 2019

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I can see that the off topic board's presence could DEVALUE the core ideals of the site. But... its absence would not.

I don't want to get rid of it, but it will be closed if continued dissatisfaction about its content persists.

Ian
If the forum is reliant on voluntary contributions surely it is not unreasonable that contributors should be able to discuss what they value and enjoy, or is that discussion to be suppressed as well?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 18th March 2019

Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Gosh, I never thought that there's been a lot of griping and 'tale telling' PM's to moderators going on behind the scenes!

I've been outspoken and invited brickbats in the past, but it's never occurred to me to complain about it. When I can't stand the heat, I'll get out of the kitchen!

Jim
Exactly! Have there really been members complaining privately to the mods? Really? Pathetic.
Maybe this snowflake thing isn’t just for the very young after all.
I must try it sometime.
Old 18th March 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
If the forum is reliant on voluntary contributions surely it is not unreasonable that contributors should be able to discuss what they value and enjoy, or is that discussion to be suppressed as well?
If you feel that the voluntary contributions (which are most welcome of course and it continues to astound me how generous members can be) guarantee a right for rude and unpleasant behaviour on the forum, then you are mistaken.

That is the entire focus of the moderation - not for political bias but to keep the peace no matter where the intrusion comes from.

While the contributions are, as I said, amazing - they only cover a fraction of the basic costs of running this site.

And I remind you once again, this is a photography forum, not a political or social debate forum.

Ian

The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
peak4 (18th March 2019)
Old 18th March 2019

Liked 3,326 Times in 1,792 Posts

I am a member here,

http://forum.mflenses.com/

where this is offered:

"Dive bar

Use this forum to discuss politics, religion, or anything else you think may be disturbing to other members' sensitivity. If you want to participate, ask for entry from administrators".

I have not taken it up.

Harold
RobEW (18th March 2019)
Old 18th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I am a member here,

http://forum.mflenses.com/

where this is offered:

"Dive bar

Use this forum to discuss politics, religion, or anything else you think may be disturbing to other members' sensitivity. If you want to participate, ask for entry from administrators".

I have not taken it up.

Harold
I was going to suggest something along those lines, surely as we’re (nearly) all adults we could make something like this work? The popularity of the lounge must indicate a desire for it to continue but also comments on this thread shows that censorship doesn’t go down so well either.
Darkroom (18th March 2019)
Old 18th March 2019

Liked 194 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Nigel .... topics.
The voice of reason and common sense as usual.
Old 18th March 2019

Personally I think there are plenty of places online to air and argue views on political matters. I sometimes have that sort of discussion on FaceBook. I value this as a place for discussing photography (and specifically Olympus) matters, without the clutter, distraction or pollution of other more confrontational stuff.
Old 18th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
Personally I think there are plenty of places online to air and argue views on political matters. I sometimes have that sort of discussion on FaceBook. I value this as a place for discussing photography (and specifically Olympus) matters, without the clutter, distraction or pollution of other more confrontational stuff.
Surely the point is that the lounge is for all the non-photo stuff. You don’t have to visit that lounge and it’s presence shouldn’t detract from the quality photo chat either. It puts those people into one place, people who probably only have Olympus in common but whose views and comments can be enjoyed on other matters too.
The Following User Says Thank You to TimP For This Useful Post:
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Darkroom (18th March 2019), Jim Ford (18th March 2019), Naughty Nigel (18th March 2019)
Old 18th March 2019

Liked 163 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
I was going to suggest something along those lines, surely as we’re (nearly) all adults we could make something like this work? The popularity of the lounge must indicate a desire for it to continue but also comments on this thread shows that censorship doesn’t go down so well either.
Yes, the Lounge is a very popular board and censorship is rarely welcome in society. However, I feel Shenstone's post has finally exposed the true, previously hidden problem, behind any lively debates on this forum.

It seems we have a number of self righteous members with such delicate sensitivities and lack of confidence that instead of complaining about something themselves by posting in the open forum, they feel it more appropriate to go behind fellow member's backs and complain about the debate via PM to the Admin team.

This being the case as Shenstone's post now confirms, there is no future for any genuine lively debates in the Lounge. Therefore, IMHO, as previously suggested and threatened, it may as well be closed permanently.

Darkroom
Naughty Nigel (18th March 2019)
Old 18th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I value this as a place for discussing photography (and specifically Olympus) matters, without the clutter, distraction or pollution of other more confrontational stuff.
Why do you allow it to distract you from photography, seeing that it is in a separate place?

It has nothing to do with my photography or anything else in my life.

Harold
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Darkroom (18th March 2019), Jim Ford (18th March 2019), Naughty Nigel (18th March 2019), TimP (18th March 2019)
Old 18th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom View Post
This being the case as Shenstone's post now confirms, there is no future for any genuine lively debates in the Lounge. Therefore, IMHO, as previously suggested and threatened, it may as well be closed permanently.
I don't see that that follows. It isn't as if the majority of threads are political.

Harold
Old 18th March 2019
Administrator

Quote:
I don't see that that follows. It isn't as if the majority of threads are political.

Harold
Harold is right and might I add, I have no problems with political or any other discussions as long as they are polite and respectful. It seems the definition of what is polite and respectful might be the problem here.

Anyway, I'm now off to the Olympus stand...

Ian

Old 18th March 2019

Quote:
Why do you allow it to distract you from photography, seeing that it is in a separate place?

It has nothing to do with my photography or anything else in my life.

Harold
Depends what "views" you use to navigate the forum.

Quite often I look at the "recent posts" view. That shows up off topic as well as on topic stuff . Sometimes I look at an individual's posting history (cunningly hidden under their "statistics") and again that view dilutes the on topic stuff with off topic stuff.

If you navigate purely based on the forum structure then the lounge is easily ignored, I agree.