Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 21st March 2019

Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts
Keyless Car Technology Unsafe?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...security-tests

This is about relay attack car theft.

Harold
Old 21st March 2019

Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts
Re: Keyless Car Technology Unsafe?

Scumbags will try to attack and steal anything, nothing is safe.
Old 21st March 2019

Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Scumbags will try to attack and steal anything, nothing is safe.
Earlier this week out nextdoor neighbour had the catalytic converter removed from his car which was parked on the pavement of well-lit major road overnight. They also slashed his water hoses just to be more unpleasant.

Harold
Old 21st March 2019

and who said the scrap metal dealers were so much more trustworthy nowadays since the laws changed. They must still be taking the cats from the scum.
Old 21st March 2019

Liked 285 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Earlier this week out nextdoor neighbour had the catalytic converter removed from his car which was parked on the pavement of well-lit major road overnight. They also slashed his water hoses just to be more unpleasant.

Harold
Having had a fully stocked van stolen some years ago, off the driveway overnight, I can imagine just how your neighbour feels. Tim's comment is correct but I can't help feeling the current reliance and popularity of technological smart devices used in vehicle security and now in the home is a very bad move. Any device invented by any company can be outsmarted by an equally clever technologically proficient Toe Rag intent on theft.

The other problem is, until and if this country ceases to listen to the opinions of the Do-Good fraternity and the like, builds several new large prisons and introduces penalties that fit the crimes, things will continue to get worse.

Why on earth would a Toe Rag want a real job when he can steal a car, sell it on or strip it for spares and make several thousand pounds for a few hours work ? Content in the fact if he gets caught it will most likely mean a fine, community service, or at the very worst, a few months in jail.

The teenager who tortured, raped and murdered the poor little girl on Bute has just received a 27 yr min. sentance which means we all now have to pay to keep him well fed, healthy, amused and happy for the next 30 years ! Not my idea of justice in any way whatever.

Jax
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (22nd March 2019)
Old 21st March 2019

I know we didn’t have anything like the sort of tech we have now 50 years ago but was the ordinary ‘man in the street’ as liable to be a victim of petty (or not so petty) crime as it would seem some are now?
I’ve always lived in a relatively rural / small town area but it feels like crime was different all those years ago with less crime against the individual and perhaps more against businesses. Or am I completely missing the big picture?
Old 21st March 2019

Quote:
I know we didnít have anything like the sort of tech we have now 50 years ago but was the ordinary Ďman in the streetí as liable to be a victim of petty (or not so petty) crime as it would seem some are now?
Iíve always lived in a relatively rural / small town area but it feels like crime was different all those years ago with less crime against the individual and perhaps more against businesses. Or am I completely missing the big picture?
The big picture is, unless government acts and introduces realistic penalties we will find people taking the law into their own hands. I can honestly envisage this country descending into anarchy eventually due to the massive increases in serious crime, although admittedly not in my lifetime.

Jax
Old 21st March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
The big picture is, unless government acts and introduces realistic penalties we will find people taking the law into their own hands. I can honestly envisage this country descending into anarchy eventually due to the massive increases in serious crime, although admittedly not in my lifetime.

Jax
I think so much of this starts with very minor crime which is seemingly no longer policed or enforced. You read about how the police wonít bother to turn up for a burglary, shoplifters are only of interest if they steal more than £200 worth and often then their (so called) 1st offence usually results in a caution (so free stuff then!)
Is it any wonder people get away with this and move on to bigger things. Probably beats working, assuming they have the ability to actually get a real job.
Grrrrr!!
Old 22nd March 2019

Liked 2,403 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
and who said the scrap metal dealers were so much more trustworthy nowadays since the laws changed. They must still be taking the cats from the scum.
I don't think catalytic converters go for scrap though.

A working catalytic converter is needed for an MOT pass. If a vehicle fails an MOT test it means no transport for the driver, an in the case of criminals, no means to commit crime.

However, catalytic converters are very expensive (some cost £1,000 plus) so removal from a roadworthy car is an attractive proposition, but other expensive parts are also at risk such as batteries and even complete engines!

The more popular the car the greater the risk it seems. There were several reported visits from so-called 'Corsa Cannibals' around here shortly before Christmas. They then moved on to neighbouring areas before disappearing somewhere. In every case it was the front of the cars that was stolen including front wings, bonnet, radiator and so forth.

The problem in this case seems to be that uninsured younger drivers want cheap parts to repair their cars after minor front-end collisions. The Corsa problem was first reported in the Luton area where it seems the large number of Corsas in the area bought by Vauxhall employees became a magnet for the thieves. An Asian gang was arrested and found to have an industrial warehouse full of stolen car parts but the problem has spread elsewhere in the country since then.

Edit: Durham Constabulary conducted an exercise sponsored by Aviva Insurance whereby 'illegal' cars on the public highway were seized and either sold to raise revenue or more often crushed. Not only were the roads safer as a result but crime was reportedly reduced because criminals had no means of travelling to commit crimes.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 22nd March 2019

I thought the precious metals in each cat were worth the effort (very little risk it would seem)
Old 22nd March 2019

Quote:
I thought the precious metals in each cat were worth the effort (very little risk it would seem)
They are worth far more as working catalytic converters.

Also, quite a few 'yoofs' like to 'de-cat' their cars to improve performance, and have been getting away with this for years. The tougher new MOT tests mean that the catalytic converters now need to be refitted.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 22nd March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

Edit: Durham Constabulary conducted an exercise sponsored by Aviva Insurance whereby 'illegal' cars on the public highway were seized and either sold to raise revenue or more often crushed. Not only were the roads safer as a result but crime was reportedly reduced because criminals had no means of travelling to commit crimes.
They should do that for every single modified car, every one with illegal (read: obscenely loud) exhaust, with modified suspension, anything thatís non-standard and not notified to their insurance company. It would take so many cars off the road along with the wuckfit obnoxious drivers.
Old 22nd March 2019

Quote:

Following a break in at a local council depot where over 15 cats were ripped off vehicles using angle grinders, it was announced the precious metals were the reason for the thefts.

Jax
Old 22nd March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
They are worth far more as working catalytic converters.

Also, quite a few 'yoofs' like to 'de-cat' their cars to improve performance, and have been getting away with this for years. The tougher new MOT tests mean that the catalytic converters now need to be refitted.
See other post! Those unemployed yoofs (innit!) will just pop it back on for the test then remove it once home again. There should be random visits from PCSOs to check and impound if necessary.
Old 22nd March 2019

Quote:
Those unemployed yoofs (innit!) will just pop it back on for the test then remove it once home again.
Not if they have sold the catalytic converter on eBay in the meantime.

MOT's only happen once a year which is well beyond the forward planning ability of your average Chav, innit!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing