Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-500

Olympus E-500 E-500 specific discussion.

Old 13th October 2009
Moneypenny2k

I've somehow turned off the lcd

and can't figure out how to get it back for anything apart from playback and info/menu functions. I can't find how in the manual either...
Old 13th October 2009

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
Re: I've somehow turned off the lcd

What was it doing before ?
Old 14th October 2009

Liked 702 Times in 372 Posts

If it's the E-systems, press the INOF button. that should be next to the Menu button.

All my garbage so far.
Old 14th October 2009
Moneypenny2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregles View Post
What was it doing before ?
It was showing what was seen through the viewfinder. It's not the end of the world as even when I had a compact I used the viewfinder to line up my shots. I grew up in the film era lol. However, it might be useful one day to use the lcd to frame the shot rather than the viewfinder.
Old 14th October 2009
Moneypenny2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
If it's the E-systems, press the INOF button. that should be next to the Menu button.
Thanks blu-by-u but I can get the info and playback working. It's just that I can't see what the camera can see when it's switched on. I hope that is making sense.
Old 14th October 2009

Liked 190 Times in 126 Posts

Hi, what you are looking for in the manual is "liveview" there is a little button on the back of the camera with what looks like a TV screen with a vertical bar either side, or a bit like "l0l" with pincushion shaped 0.

The location depends on the model, but I notice that you've posted the query in the E-500 board.
The only way to get it to work on that is a visit to the camera shop to buy a later camera as the E-500 never had the facility.

Good luck, Hope you get it sorted, If not post a reply and someone will certainly help; this is a friendly place to hang out.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 14th October 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I can't tell what camera you have as there's no EXIF data available in your shots. I assume it's an e-series camera with LiveView as you wouldn't have asked otherwise.

Depending on which model you have, you'll notice a button on the rear, as Bill states, that looks like the outline of a TV... this is the 'LiveView' button, and will pop up the mirror inside the camera and feed the image through to the viewfinder allowing you to 'see' what the lens is seeing (especially good for macro shots by the way).

Do shout if you're still stuck...

Old 14th October 2009
ndl0071

Not sure how you are getting on with this but just in case you still need help...I 'lost' the live view on my E410 recently nothing I did seemed to bring it back to life until........I hit the reset to factory default settings button, all is now well, no idea what the problem was but it's now gone away.

hope this helps
Old 14th October 2009
Moneypenny2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndl0071 View Post
Not sure how you are getting on with this but just in case you still need help...I 'lost' the live view on my E410 recently nothing I did seemed to bring it back to life until........I hit the reset to factory default settings button, all is now well, no idea what the problem was but it's now gone away.

hope this helps
Thanks to everyone, I appreciate the help, it's an E500 that I have, left it at work today but I'll have a play around with the suggestions tomorrow. Thanks all

BTW - this reminds me of the microsoft software engineers out for a trip in their car and their car goes wrong... So they switch off the engine, open the doors and windows, leave it for a while, then start it up again... Well made me laugh
Old 14th October 2009
EH1

But an E-500 does`nt have live view!
Old 14th October 2009

Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts

I think we are missing the obvious here. You said you were new to DSLR as your last camera was a compact. A DSLR does not operate like a compact were what we call live view is how most people would view images about to be captured( ie looking at the LCD).. With an DSLR you look through the view finder to compose your shot not through the LCD, Unless your camera is equiped with Live view which your E500 is not.The LCD is only for reviewing shots that you have taken. Your camera is not broken. Hope this puts your mind at rest, and that I have explained It clearly enough.
Old 14th October 2009
Moneypenny2k

I think the person who I bought it from must have played around with the settings and somehow got it to show live view. It honestly had it and now it doesn't. I don't mind too much as I've always used a viewfinder, even when I had my compact. It's just bugging me
Old 14th October 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe somebody can explain how to upload a picture without stripping out the EXIF data, it might help a bit.

If the previous owner managed to do something to an E500 to get live view I think we'd all be interested to know what they did. Any way you can ask them?

Andrzej Wrotniak's has a very detailed piece about using the E-500
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e500-using.html

There's other information on Biofos, but I don't think the E500 is covered in detail there.
http://www.biofos.com/esystem/ebodies.html
Old 15th October 2009
Moneypenny2k

Useful links Ellie thanks
Old 15th October 2009
EH1

Smile Re: I've somehow turned off the lcd

I am sure I have heard of a NiK*n D50 being converted, so that it had live view, but I could be talking a load of ********!